Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shinko Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

NGU, I got a good 13k+ out of my last rear Metzeler, but rode a thousand or so more than I should have. My first rear Shinko 250 was replaced at 7k but was worn out at 6k+. I doubt my latest and stickiest (777) will last 5k. I do like the grip! (-;
I had to replace my night Dragon at 3k as it was punctured, but plan on patching and tubing for an emergency back up spare rear. It was nowhere near as sticky as any Shinko I've run. They may not last as long but their pricing makes up for it, less mounting and balancing. And this one is the quietest tires I've run to date.

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 03-05-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: because I can
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

You doing someting right if you can get that kind of miles on a Metzeller....godd for you.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks guys, these are the sort of comments I am looking for. I am really looking for a tire that I can ride Tampa - Chicago - LA and then back to Tampa with a few detours. Two trips but will total around 8-9K miles

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better go with a E3 if want to get that kind of mileage out of 1 tire. On all on 6 of them I have run so far have gotten 13-14K out of them on rears, front only about 18-20K which is a little disappointing versus the stock 401 which gives 22K+

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM
WiFiNetGuy
Stage II

I have an '06 Ultra and am considering Shinko 777's (per the Shinko guy). My main concern with them is the load rating. According to him via email, the 777's are load rated at 677 lbs. front and 761 lbs. rear. He also suggested that to get your approximate rear weight amount, multiply total weight by 65%. Well, that puts the rear weight of my bike, with two people, at 779.35 lbs. So I'm already over the load limit. I really want to try the Shinkos but this makes me leary. I'm not concerned about all of the "I wouldn't try them on my bike. That's your life you're playing with.." comments since any tire can have a problem. I seem to remember two words: Firestone & Explorer.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You can take this a import bashing, Sooner or later we need to support manufacturers here.

Import knock offs made in Korea, Have at it but I won't buy that sh^t. Good luck save a buck and keep your neighbor unemployed.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM
WiFiNetGuy
Stage II

I certainly respect your opinion and appreciate any information on the Shinkos. I'd love to "support the manufacturers here" as you say, but where the rubber meets the road, no pun intended, it boils down to what works best for me and my wallet. As for keeping my "neighbor unemployed" you really don't have to go any further than the tag on your shirt or pants.

The following users liked this post:
jeeper101 (03-25-2019)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WiFiNetGuy
I certainly respect your opinion and appreciate any information on the Shinkos. I'd love to "support the manufacturers here" as you say, but where the rubber meets the road, no pun intended, it boils down to what works best for me and my wallet. As for keeping my "neighbor unemployed" you really don't have to go any further than the tag on your shirt or pants.
Second post You sure sound like a tire distributor sales person, That said you obvious don sh^t about being able to buy USA when possible, As for what is coveing my ^ss, back and exprcially shoes I can say a majority is made here, I just make the personal choice to buy quality.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
You can take this a import bashing, Sooner or later we need to support manufacturers here.

Import knock offs made in Korea, Have at it but I won't buy that sh^t. Good luck save a buck and keep your neighbor unemployed.

Just my opinion.

Dunlop is the only manufacturer to produce motorcycle tires in the U.S.,
unfortunately there is no real choice if you want to buy American. Just saying

Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
You couldn't pay me to run those tires. Remember your life and the life of anyone that rides with you depend on it.

MEH, I have run their V rated tires at over 150 mph. They make good tires...

Last edited by jakenok; 05-21-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Shinko Tires