Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SENA vs SCALA RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I am on my second Scala Q2 team set. The first set worked flawlessly for about 4 years and then began to shut themselves off in cold weather. They would restart OK but required resetting the push to talk each time they were restarted. The second set seems to be about the last version of the tear drop shaped units. It would seem that Scala has had a quality problem with the mike/earphone component which mounts on the helmet. I have had two total failures on trips when it was a 2 day ride to get home. Very aggravating on the second failure as I figured anybody can have ONE bad unit, but 2 in short succession made me angry. At least Scala has replaced each one under warranty and in fact threw in 2 new mike/earphone units the last time for a problem we hadn't even noticed. If either of these units fail, I will be done with Scala.

The VOX on our units is useless for reasons others have described, even with the larger foam covers on the microphones, the wind sets off the VOX feature. We use the "Push to talk" feature. The newer set requires almost twice the connect time (over 4 seconds for the newer units) for intercom than did the older set. The sound quality of the earphones seems mediocre though I have no other experience to compare. These units are used for front seat to back seat communication and for listening to music/talk radio between conversations. Aside from the painfully slow connect time, they do that well enough. Paying for long range intercom I will never use has kept me from trying any of the fancier models. I like the newer units less than the originals I have but will stick with them until they break. Then on to something else. The newer trapezoid shaped units may be better but i have no experience with them one way or the other. Can't complain about Scala customer service but I would prefer to read reports saying that people have no idea how good or bad customer service is because they have NEVER had to use it.

Last edited by btsom; 10-20-2013 at 10:06 AM.