Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SENA vs SCALA RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sena also has a screw-on clamp, not just a stick-on mounting. The big **** is easy to find/control with gloves on.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor

FYI - For those wearing a half helmet Sena has another version of the SPH10 coming out. The original SPH10 works with half helmets or no helmet and hooks on to the ear. It might work well for you and might not depending on your head size and shape. The weight hangs on your ears and if your ears or head is not the ideal proportions the speaker won't be aligned with the ear canal.

With the SPH10H, half helmet version, it will attach to any half helmet and includes the speaker pouches etc.

It should be available in April.

Last edited by Spoiled Biker; 03-07-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much does this stuff cost?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
tencrore
Tourer

I just ordered the Sena SMH10 through a group buy on another site that I frequent, ADV Rider

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=smh10

The group buy was $149 for a single set and $259 for a dual set

Hope this helps

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

The UClear is $200 for each unit. The Scala G4 about $329 for a pair. TENCRORE just posted his price on the SENA.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: SENA vs SCALA Rider

Can anybody tell me any of the bluetooth units have any decent music sound? I would love to get a set for the wife and I but my priority is good music sound. We both have the Hybrid half helmets so we would get a setup for those.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fzggm4
Can anybody tell me any of the bluetooth units have any decent music sound? I would love to get a set for the wife and I but my priority is good music sound. We both have the Hybrid half helmets so we would get a setup for those.
In my research I concluded the G4 was best as they are stereo. I have the G4 and the speakers are "ok"....

I would say they are marginally worse that the HD wired helmet speakers, but not a lot in it

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
scottdoege
Tourer

Originally Posted by hoethree
Well I have yet to pull the trigger on this one. Was pretty much set on the Scala G4 until I read about the UClear unit. But for every "good" review I read I find an equally "bad" review. I like the UClear from a technology standpoint but I read it has the shortest range for intercom and I think the giant paper clip mounting system is cheap, tacky, and not terribly secure. The UClear website goes out of its way to NOT mention distance for the intercom so that disturbs me. I do like the microphone in the ear speaker design.
The SENA uses a stick on mounting which worries me somewhat and not sure I care for the big **** for controlling the unit. The Scala unit appears to have the best mounting system but everything I read is that the FM radio is crap and the speakers sound "tinny" if trying to listen to music. Also wondering about jamming that boom mike on the SENA or Scala units into my modular Shoei helmet.

I could care less about GPS and phone calls. Last thing I want to do while riding is either MAKE or TAKE a phone call! I am trying to GET AWAY from all that crap while riding.

I guess I am just gonna have to take the plunge on one of these and hope for the best. Dont think they are gonna let me "sample" them and return if not totally happy.

Still interested in anyone's user reviews of any of these units. Right now Scala has a slight edge for me.
UCLEAR has a few ways to attach the USB to the helmet. One is a fancy "paperclip" but they also have a stick-on piece of hardware. What I also like about UCLEAR is that they sell the speakers separately. I only have purchased one UCLEAR and have a set of their speakers installed in all three of my helmets.

As for the clarity of listening to music the speakers ROCK. I no longer listen to the music on my ULTRA (with an ARC 125.4 amp running six speakers) stereo, I listen to the music inside my helmet. Plus they have many types of speakers available for installation.

Here is information on the new UCLEAR:

UClear HBC200
The new HBC200 improves on the HBC100 by providing up to a claimed 700 meter, full duplex bike-to-bike talk range between intercoms.

The HBC200 system can connect up to six intercoms. This means that six riders in a line formation at the maximum distance means that the rider in front is 3,500 meters or 3.5 km (over 2 miles) from the rider at the end of the group, but all four riders can communicate in full duplex on this "network"!

This capability is provided by the new patent-pending UClear "Super Group Intercom with Multi-Hop Technology", developed from their military communications background. UClear said they are working on a firmware update for up to 8 riders to connect.

UClear said that they first wanted to make sure the intercom voice quality in the HBC200 is as clean as it is on the HBC100. Their next goal was to add the ability to connect more intercoms, which will be done via a firmware upgrade to the HBC200.

The HBC200 is scheduled for release some time around the end of March 2012 and it will have a list price of $249.99 each or $449.99 for the dual pack.

UClear Super Group Intercom With Multi-Hop Technology
(From a UClear press release) - Unlike many helmet communicators on the market today that use SCO links for intercom with limited or no retransmission capabilities, packets with errors are silently discarded. This will lead to poor speech
quality especially in high noise environments.

The HBC200 "Force" intercom is set up like a mobile ad-hoc network (MANET) which is able to send information packets (i.e., your voice conversation), much like an email or SMS text message but in a time sensitive manner which delivers real time conversation with no degradation of voice quality.

With traditional intercom headsets, if the data is lost or degraded then the entire message is compromised. But by transmitting data through Multi-Hop, the user’s voice message is captured and any degradation in the voice packet is instantly repaired and re-sent in real time.

Multi-Hop was designed under a military platform to allow for communication in critical, highly noisy battlefield environments. The application was then applied to motorcycle group communications where conversation can be limited, due to, for example, engine noise.

The UCLEAR HBC200 series helmet communicator can be installed in just about any helmet and used for motorcycling, snowmobiling, motocross, ATVs or ski/snowboarding.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Default Not affliated with UCLEAR

By the way, I am not affiliated with UCLEAR in any way. I just stumbled across their product at the International Motorcycle Show. My buddie was looking for bluetooth for his helmet. I was not even interested.

But, he then asked for me to install the unit in his helmet for him (he has no mechanical ability). After I did that, I started playing around with the unit and was very impressed. My wife is now even willing for me to install a unit into her helmet. She would not let me install a unit with a boom because she thought we looked like "old Goldwing riders".

To each his own, but I was not even looking at a bluetooth headset and now I am raving about this product.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
In my research I concluded the G4 was best as they are stereo. I have the G4 and the speakers are "ok"....

I would say they are marginally worse that the HD wired helmet speakers, but not a lot in it
The G4 WERE the best quality sound when they came out but like every other tech device improvements come out quickly. Sena actually has more volume than the G4 and slightly larger speakers. If you have room in the helmet for the speakers Sena SMH10 sounds a little better than the G4. The AKE stealth 201 headset and the UClear have superior audio quality but lack a few of the G4 features. The G9 should be coming out soon but details on what changes (beyond a larger network of riders) are not yet clear.

Quick Reply: SENA vs SCALA RIDER