Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SENA vs SCALA RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The beauty of both units is there is no "plugging in" if you have smartphones, for music. With my old Q2, though, I had to plug in my ipod.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the UClear headset. After trying my friends, I purchased one and would never use anything else. This headset is boomless and crystal clear.

http://www.uclear-digital.com/HBC100moto.html

Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default Older Sena

Well I read all the reviews, studied, re-read, studied some more and decided on the Sena. It will pair with 8 devices I think. I use mine paired with the GPS, Phone, and by using a plug-in module , I can pair with handlebar mounted CB. Music is from phone or I can plug in the supplied cable to any MP3 player in shirt pocket. About 3 months after I bought the full set, Sena released a newer version which is now usb upgradable. They offered me a discounted price if I wanted to purchase the new ones since the older ones are not upgradable. MY BIG Complaint is there is no way to adjust the VOX gain. Once I speak into the mic, there is enough wind and motor noise to keep the Vox engaged, so it won't drop out unless I stop at a light or something which drops the motor noise/ wind noise down low enough to drop out. Then OK till next useage. Real pain in the butt. There also is a non-vox mode that requires touching the large button on unit to talk. This works as it should.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hoethree
Actually the new helmets are modulars so this was a concern. I had also read that the wired mike was problematic for some folks
I set mine up with Shark modular helmet and used the boom mic - you wouldn't be able to use the wired mic with a modular

It worked well, but it does mean you need to flip the module up to COMFORTABLY remove the helmet

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my experiance with Sena. Works good with phone paired and as intercom. There is a software issue with Sena that they claim to have revised when you want to pair the Sena to Zumo GPS. If you have a phone paired to the Garmin, and the Sena paired to the Garmin, and the Sena paired to another Sena for intercom, it has some issues with the way it handles the bluetooth switching. Confused yet? If you do any 2 out of the 3, its great. Doesnt seem to work well when you do all 3 things.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
PMC
Advanced

I've had the G4s for a full season and used them mainly as bike to bike communication on enduro dirt road camping trips .
After updating them with the latest firmware I have to say they make a pretty good bluetooth intercom system. The speakers don't sound very good for listening to music but work great bike to bike.

The VOX feature is kinda crazy to get it to work but maybe I just haven't played around with the settings enough....
Saying that we were rolling through northern WI and all the bear hunters were out training their dogs. I said to myself "more dogs" as we came upon another group and the damn thing turned on... So my word to get the mike to key is now "More Dogs", works every time.
LOL

We run them in modular helmets and they fit in no problems and my wife has used one in a Shoei RF1000 with good results.
The battery lasts forever but for multiple days without electric you can always charge them off a 12 volt plug with a dual USB connetor and they're done in an hour or two.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

All sounds good so far but the UClear that Scott recommends now has me all jacked up. I am reading the range on the UClear is less than the Scala or SENA units. Again, right now I am just looking for good intercom. I DO like the way UClear has designed the microphone into the speakers. A bit more pricey than the Scala or SENA units.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM
scottdoege
Tourer

Originally Posted by hoethree
All sounds good so far but the UClear that Scott recommends now has me all jacked up. I am reading the range on the UClear is less than the Scala or SENA units. Again, right now I am just looking for good intercom. I DO like the way UClear has designed the microphone into the speakers. A bit more pricey than the Scala or SENA units.
UClear has a new unit coming out this month. The HBC-200 I believe that will allow you to pair up to four units for conversations and that produces a gps "LAN" environment that will extend the range.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I have yet to pull the trigger on this one. Was pretty much set on the Scala G4 until I read about the UClear unit. But for every "good" review I read I find an equally "bad" review. I like the UClear from a technology standpoint but I read it has the shortest range for intercom and I think the giant paper clip mounting system is cheap, tacky, and not terribly secure. The UClear website goes out of its way to NOT mention distance for the intercom so that disturbs me. I do like the microphone in the ear speaker design.
The SENA uses a stick on mounting which worries me somewhat and not sure I care for the big **** for controlling the unit. The Scala unit appears to have the best mounting system but everything I read is that the FM radio is crap and the speakers sound "tinny" if trying to listen to music. Also wondering about jamming that boom mike on the SENA or Scala units into my modular Shoei helmet.

I could care less about GPS and phone calls. Last thing I want to do while riding is either MAKE or TAKE a phone call! I am trying to GET AWAY from all that crap while riding.

I guess I am just gonna have to take the plunge on one of these and hope for the best. Dont think they are gonna let me "sample" them and return if not totally happy.

Still interested in anyone's user reviews of any of these units. Right now Scala has a slight edge for me.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

My riding brother and I have used the Sena for 2 years now on Half Helmets with no problems to speak of. We have put 30,000 miles combined on our in good and bad weather. In heavy continuous rain with the Half Helmets the Speaker get very wet and they will start to break up. But when we get home or to the Hotel room we let them dry or a while then we use a hair dry and they are good as new.

Quick Reply: SENA vs SCALA RIDER