Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Crotch Coolers work and are they worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 02:30 AM
Smokengun
Tourer

The leather Capt's do look cooler, but I had an HD gift card to burn so I got HD's crotch cooler. Haven't installed it yet. Will it do the job too? Or (going off of pure functionality only) will I be getting the Capt's soon? LOL!!

Old 03-05-2012 | 03:42 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by XKnight
These probably don't work too well either.

No, those won't work, you have to take them off right before you ride, and then put them back on when you arrive. Don't misunderstand me though, you are not to put anything else on for the ride.

Last edited by DOMAPOI; 03-05-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2012 | 04:22 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

When I first got my crotch cooler it was a very tight fit, I didn't think I would be able to get the seat back on. But I did, and now the crotch cooler has molded into place around all the contours and fits like a glove. It covers more area than the RJs or other brands and works better. I had a set of RJs and sold them and I'm glad I did. One good thing about the crotch cooler is on a cold day/night you can bend them up under your legs so you can get the warmth from the engine. I only do that on short rides when it was warm on the way there but it is cold on the way back. That is something you cannot do with the other brands. For long rides in the cold, like during winter, it is only a two or three minute task, start to finish, to take it off.

Old 03-05-2012 | 06:23 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Absolutely work awesome and they are incredible people to work with.

Old 03-05-2012 | 06:52 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Cudos To The Captain!

CROTCH COOLERS WORK BIG TIME!
My crotch cooler has been the biggest bang for the buck item I have installed on my bike so far! No more roasted thighs sitting in traffic, at a light or anywhere. It's highly functional and looks good also. ALL of the Captains products are really high quality materials and are well made.

I have his crotch cooler, lever streamers and tank panel mount for my heat controller on my bike and everywhere I go I get the same question. Where can I get one!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 03-05-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2012 | 07:19 AM
wingman05
Road Captain

Another vote for Captain Itch Crotch Coolers

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:37 AM
ponybob
Intermediate

Bought a different brand that uses smoked plexiglass a couple of years ago. Really works well.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:50 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by jjnoble
When I first got my crotch cooler it was a very tight fit, I didn't think I would be able to get the seat back on. But I did, and now the crotch cooler has molded into place around all the contours and fits like a glove. It covers more area than the RJs or other brands and works better. I had a set of RJs and sold them and I'm glad I did. One good thing about the crotch cooler is on a cold day/night you can bend them up under your legs so you can get the warmth from the engine. I only do that on short rides when it was warm on the way there but it is cold on the way back. That is something you cannot do with the other brands. For long rides in the cold, like during winter, it is only a two or three minute task, start to finish, to take it off.
Good info here! Also like to mention the Captain puts a soft backing on so it won't scratch anything it lays on. My wife and I have been using them two years. I can take them off easily by removing the seat in the winter and you wouldn't know they were ever on. Another reason they work so much better, they are one piece and don't direct the heat up under the seat like the two piece cooler's. If you want something that is great quality and works, Well worth the money. IMO

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:55 AM
NewAgent
Cruiser

I have A Crotch Cooler on my 2000 RK and it works great. Simple to install. Great people to work with. I also got a matching mud flap. One of the best mods that I've done to the bike! They look a lot better than the plastic ones out there.

Old 03-05-2012 | 12:54 PM
jlacasci
Tourer
Default get the best looking/working version of these

If you're concerned about the look and want fantastic function, IMHO nothing compares to the RJ Originals. He was the first and they look the best. I've never used the Cap Itch version but based on post here I assume they work. I just don't like the look of a flap hanging there like that. The RJ's look like they are a natural part of the bike and there's more to these than just a leather flap. http://www.rjsoriginals.com/ Don't beleive me take a look at the customer photo's on his site. I don't work for RJ but think he's outdone himself with this product. I've had mine since 2005 and they look and function as well as the day I purchased them. I also think they are made by vets in the good old USA.

Joe

Quick Reply: Do Crotch Coolers work and are they worth the cost?