Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much stuff to take on a long road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default How much stuff to take on a long road trip?

I'm going to be taking my first ever multi day bike trip in May and I'm trying to get a handle on how much stuff I should be bringing with me. It's a 5 day ride up into Canada and back. I don't have any kind of luggage yet, so I'll need to get something that will fit what I need to take.

Figuring out basic every day clothing as well as rain gear should be easy enough, but I'm on the fence as to weather I should plan to bring my heavy leather jacket and chaps. May cans till get chilly, but those will take a lot of room. Also, what would you take for tools? I have to admit that I don't usually carry any and I think I'll need to get some together. First aid kit is already in the saddlebags so I have that covered.

So what else would you be bringing along? What am I missing?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
silverado636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My check list

I owned a Kuryakyn gran tour bag, excellent product. I always have a few tools on the bike, something might come loose. With this list I have done very well.

Bike Trip Check List

Leathers, jacket, vest, chaps,
Rainsuit
Gloves
Beanies
Glasses
GPS
Camera,Batteries
Duct tape
PassPort
Jeans
Socks,Gotch
Under Armour
T-shirts
Swim trunks
Short pants
Flip flops
Toothpaste
Brush
Sunscreen
Razor
Deodorant
Nail Clippers
Advil
Tums
Phone Charger

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM
PlotMH
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My personal guideline is bring half as much stuff and twice as much money.

That being said, I would bring the heavy jacket but skip the chaps, Canada can be cold. A good tool kit is mandatory to cover parts loosening and the like. I have a Cruze Tool bag. http://cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

Throw in some zip ties and a bungee or two for attaching misc things. A camera for the memories. Plastic bags to keep stuff dry.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

there have been a couple of threads on lists.

my prime suggestion is make sure that your weight is evenly balanced side to side, or you'll have an all-day lean and a crick in your neck.

I pack my bike then pull the saddlebags and weigh to check balance, then usually repack.

Where ever you go you need to be ready for all weather, warm clothing will have you ready for early morning starts.

in the weeks before the trip do a couple of 4-500 mile loops for your home base to verify the bike's fitness and yours.
see how your body reacts to full days on the road and get a handle on if your alertness drops after a certain point.
you'll know your limits and keep from getting in trouble.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Border- make sure the record is clear, even a DUI ( or parking tickets) can stop a crossing.

The US started it, Canada is reciprocating, and newly computerized records track offenses back to the dawn of time- even if you have prior crossing, be prepared.

Have a clear idea of where you are going, short, concise answers get you through faster

No Guns, weapon type knives or pot

Loud pipes can get you stopped, no club vests, no red and white support gear, a 'real' DOT helmet, just be mellow

If a bunch are going, cross as individuals NOT as a group.

Just plan to meet up the road at a gas station.

that way if someone gets stopped, the rest won't have their stuff dug through- and the whole thing will be speedier.

If you meet someone on the way, do not cross the border together, who knows what they have in their saddlebag

rabies cert if you take your dog

verizon and sprint phones will likely not work, tmo and att, get the intl plan for better rates. turn off data roaming on smart phones, or the phone bill will cost more than your trip.

free internet at most mcdonalds and starbucks, some tim hortons ( coffee shop)- I use my ipod touch and skype to make my calls home- I also use a googe voice number so that my voice mails to my cell phone and transcribed and emailed to me ( free)

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-04-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
silverado636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlotMH
My personal guideline is bring half as much stuff and twice as much money.

That being said, I would bring the heavy jacket but skip the chaps, Canada can be cold. A good tool kit is mandatory to cover parts loosening and the like. I have a Cruze Tool bag. http://cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

Throw in some zip ties and a bungee or two for attaching misc things. A camera for the memories. Plastic bags to keep stuff dry.
Being a Canuck you better bring your leather chaps. It can get cold in May. Yes zip ties and bungee cords . I always have those on my bike so they are not on my list.
As far as tools go the stealer and buy the harley multi screwdriver. And then pack allen wrenches, combo wrenches that fit all the fasteners on the bike. You wont need a full set of everything just what fits your bike.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Bring a credit card with plenty of room on it.
A few years ago my son and I took a trip through Canada. We had a great time and had a blast. temp wise, it was in the 90's when we left here and we had a day of 50 and rain while we were there. Bring layers and get ready to buy what you forgot.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM
KylePutzier
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it involves weather, take it. Doesn't matter if you think you may need it or not. Cold and wet is no fun at all. The bike wont notice that tiny bit of extra weight.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Little as possible....

There are always laundymats. You can always eat breakfast while you do clothes... Takes an hour or so 1 morning and you have more room for weather gear....

And for border crossings make sure you get a passport card or full blown passport.....

The days of an ID only border crossing are gone.

As for tools.....
A small basic tool set with allens and torx. I would suggest a tire plug kit of some sort and a small air compressor. Help you on the road to deal with when you get back.

Last edited by Tinman265; 03-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of good suggestions so far and thought I'd give my opinion. To make room for the rain gear, leathers, etc., I pack on day of clothes in addition to what I'm wearing. Also pack lounge arround pants and tshirt for sitting at hotel. Then every 2nd day throw the clothes in the washing machine. Most hotels seem to have washers and dryers it seems. I agree, ride each day until you hit the "point" then time to find a place to rest and relax Have a blast and let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: How much stuff to take on a long road trip?