Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much stuff to take on a long road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear the leather and bring a light duffel to pack them and the boots in at night.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
donttreadonme
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
My clothes packing is just about identical to what he lists. Very minimal. When I do my annual cross-country road trip from San Diego to Illinois I stay with family for about two weeks once I'm there. So what I do is ship a few nice shirts and dress slacks and shoes out there ahead of time via UPS. As far as on the bike just 3 shirts (the one I'm wearing plus two more) and one extra pair of jeans. About 3 extra pairs of undies n sox and a toothbrush, book, cell phone charger, iPad and charger, small digital camera and a few basic tools. Maybe a small pocket portable AM/FM radio. A couple bottles of water in case you break down and your rain gear. Leather jacket needless to say.

Do plan on possible colder temps as passing through the mountains and/or at night the temps can drop surprisingly even in summer.
+1 on night riding. back in october i was in the neighboring state, hour and a half ride. didnt leave until about midnight, when i road up originally it was 60's with sun, beautiful day. it was 33 and windy on the ride back. my entire body was numb to the bone.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

All great ideas - Zip lock bags a must - One thing I did not see is roll all your clothes and rubber band them in a tight tube. You can pack all kinds of stuff. As for the bike, as stated, basic tool kit. Also, just in case, take a few extra fuses. If you have some kind of mini LED head lamp that clamps onto your ball cap. Never know when you need some extra light. Better to bring it and not need or use it than to need it and not have it. No matter what, have a great time, be safe and share your adventure when you get back.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
grisnoir
Stage III

if your crossing in montreal and going to gaspee bring warm clothing cause its colder the closer you get to the sea.

best store to buy what you need canadien tire or walmart, it has tools, clothing and food.
the water is good take it from me i live here.
for hotels try best western they will give you a discount if you are a hog member, lots of small hotels all along the roads. only if your going to gaspee will you need to have reservation since its a highly touristic place.
same if your going to ontario lots of road side hotels and same store canadien tire and walmart, and good water to.

have a good and safe ride

Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by grisnoir
if your crossing in montreal and going to gaspee bring warm clothing cause its colder the closer you get to the sea.

best store to buy what you need canadien tire or walmart, it has tools, clothing and food.
the water is good take it from me i live here.
for hotels try best western they will give you a discount if you are a hog member, lots of small hotels all along the roads. only if your going to gaspee will you need to have reservation since its a highly touristic place.
same if your going to ontario lots of road side hotels and same store canadien tire and walmart, and good water to.

have a good and safe ride
Thanks for the advice! The more we plan the more it looks like we are going to head towards Quebec City through VT and then head back south through ME and NH back into Mass. We had some thought of stopping in Montreal, but we're not sure if that is a motorcycle friendly place to be with 20 plus riders.

Last edited by Rockrivr1; 03-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
You mentioned this the other day "no red and white support gear", what is that about?
I'm thinking "red & white" = USA. We have American & ALR flags on our bike so guess we should take them off if we cross the border.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:55 PM
b17467
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrayMare
I'm thinking "red & white" = USA. We have American & ALR flags on our bike so guess we should take them off if we cross the border.
There is always Google

Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
sdw16
Intermediate

tire repair kit

Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Each tour that I go one, I take less than the one before. My first big trip (9K) i packed a 2/4/6 amp charger, a spare battery, service manual, atlas, extra cloths and far too many tools.

Now I just take several days of old t-shirts, underwear, socks and pants and throw them away each night. Then stop and buy cheap Walmart stuff for another few days and throw that away. Only the most basic tools and the small ride atlas that HOG sends each year.

The essentials include one good rain gear set. A pair of light gloves and one pair of heavy water proof gloves. Credit card and cell phone. I don't think that I even need the tourpack anymore.

I usually ride with my sons and that first big ride after I retired we found that we all had some of the same stuff. Now we coordinate and each has something that will serve all.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
VTwin
Intermediate
Default What to pack

We all have a tendency to overpack for trips. Yoy wear one set of clothes and pack for 3 days. Always a laundry available so you don't overpack clothes. Have your bike checked and possible oil change 1-2 weeks before your trip and mechanically you should be safe. Tire repair kit for a flat and minimal tools should do it.
Make sure you have your passport, maps, money, credit cards. Always chaps and warm jacket. Prefer clothes that dry quick so I wear lightweight cotton or rayon trousers vs jeans that stay wet for hours.

I have traveled USA and Canada for 40 years and the key is pack light and have fun!