Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much stuff to take on a long road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 PM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default .

I've used rain pants for mornings when it is cold. One saves the room by not taking chaps.

Also If your in for effective luggage buy something like Cascade dry bags. I have two bungied on. One for clean/ one for dirty clothes. I leave saddle bags for stuff I need: maps, toiletry kit, riding gear.....

Enjoy yourself regardless. My last trip around supierior on Hwy 17 I noticed that a credit card was useable way more than it was previously so I don't take a **** ton of cash like I had before. Cash is still king if you get in a spot needing a tow or....

Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Packing rule #1: You will take more clothes than you need.
Packing rule #2: You don't have enough room for all the clothes you think you need to take.

Solution: Zip-lock freezer bags. 2-gallon size. Put clothes in bag. Sit on bag to expel excess air. Zip bag closed. Voila' - your clothes will now fit nicely into whatever bag you are packing them in, AND, they will remain dry if you find your weatherproof travel bags aren't completely waterproof.

Packing rule #3 - If you take my suggestion about the zip-lock bags, your friends will make fun of your packing system - that is, until you ride thru a torrential downpour and you are the only one that has dry clothes for the next day's ride.

Oh, and I would take the chaps. Since you will now have all that extra room, you might as well take them.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Border- make sure the record is clear, even a DUI ( or parking tickets) can stop a crossing.

The US started it, Canada is reciprocating, and newly computerized records track offenses back to the dawn of time- even if you have prior crossing, be prepared.

Have a clear idea of where you are going, short, concise answers get you through faster

No Guns, weapon type knives or pot

Loud pipes can get you stopped, no club vests, no red and white support gear, a 'real' DOT helmet, just be mellow

If a bunch are going, cross as individuals NOT as a group.

Just plan to meet up the road at a gas station.

that way if someone gets stopped, the rest won't have their stuff dug through- and the whole thing will be speedier.

If you meet someone on the way, do not cross the border together, who knows what they have in their saddlebag

rabies cert if you take your dog

verizon and sprint phones will likely not work, tmo and att, get the intl plan for better rates. turn off data roaming on smart phones, or the phone bill will cost more than your trip.

free internet at most mcdonalds and starbucks, some tim hortons ( coffee shop)- I use my ipod touch and skype to make my calls home- I also use a googe voice number so that my voice mails to my cell phone and transcribed and emailed to me ( free)

You mentioned this the other day "no red and white support gear", what is that about?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM
rattrig
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took my trip to Alaska I took all the warm gear I could carry, Glad I did, it always was raining and cold when I went, always rode with my rain gear on and my leathers underneath, staying dry is the best advise I could give, just go and have the time of your life, theres nothing like being on the road and not knowing whats up ahead

Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks everyone! There is some great advice here that I'll definitely be following. I was tentatively writing down the cloths I would be taking and yep, way to much! The freezer bag idea is a good one.

It's been a while since I've been up into Canada. I think we are crossing south of Montreal and heading north from there. Knew I'd need my passport, but some of the other stuff I didn't think of. I usually have a knife in my front pocket, which sounds like a bad idea. How about a Leathermen multi-tool?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

A five day trip don't need no change of clothes.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where to?

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
Thanks everyone! There is some great advice here that I'll definitely be following. I was tentatively writing down the cloths I would be taking and yep, way to much! The freezer bag idea is a good one.

It's been a while since I've been up into Canada. I think we are crossing south of Montreal and heading north from there. Knew I'd need my passport, but some of the other stuff I didn't think of. I usually have a knife in my front pocket, which sounds like a bad idea. How about a Leathermen multi-tool?
So once you're in Quebec are you heading east to Gaspe, North Shore NB and points east, or west to Ontario?

Leatherman might get through, especially if you're packing it in a tool roll but there's one that comes with: http://www.beza.biz/windzone/

If you're camping in Ontario you need this website:

http://www.campinginontario.ca/

And if you're motel camping use Kayak. It does all the usual ones and it's own for pricing and has a smart phone app.

You can camp on Ontario crown land for free:

http://crownlanduseatlas.mnr.gov.on.ca/clupa.html

And be aware of drinking water changes and travellers diarrhea. You might want to carry a water filtration system - 2 litres is enough for 1 person, 4 litre for 2 etc.

In Canada find an MEC store - they're everywhere and get a 2 litre dromedary:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...-water-bag.jsp

and the water filter that does with it:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...ter-filter.jsp

Take a little time to check out Old Montreal and get a Montreal smoked meat sandwich - it's famous like Philly cheese steak is in Philly.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
VA_Grumpy_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first advice is what RoadHog659 said. Put EVERYTHING in 2 gal zip lock bags. On my first road trip we had some light rain, and I put the luggage cover on. It didn't help. I spent all night at the hotel dryer. Now every road trip - everything is packed in zip bags or I even have some larger zip bags for clothing storage that work too.

For bags, you can look at J&P Cycles. They have a bunch of different brand names. T-Bags, Saddleman. Get the biggest trip bag you can get. Most of them will collapse down if all the storage isn't needed. But it will be.

I used to take my chaps on road trips, but I found that if I wear a nylon/wool long john bottoms I will stay warn (if it isn't TOOO cold) and not too hot when it is warm. I have a high quality rain suit. The first one I got was a low cost one and the crotch seam spilt mid rain storm. Looked like I peed my pants.

I normally wear a half helmet, but for road trips I'll take along either my 3/4 with shield or full face. They will strap on the outside of the bags very nicely.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of good advise here. Remember to leave some extra space in those bags. I tend to always come back with more stuff than I left with. Happens every time, and I always end up taking more clothes than actually needed.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default more stuff

Originally Posted by VA_Grumpy_Biker
My first advice is what RoadHog659 said. Put EVERYTHING in 2 gal zip lock bags. On my first road trip we had some light rain, and I put the luggage cover on. It didn't help. I spent all night at the hotel dryer. Now every road trip - everything is packed in zip bags or I even have some larger zip bags for clothing storage that work too.
You just convinced me - I'll do it, thanks.
You get so many pearls of wisdom based on real life experience on this website it's just fantastic.

So I have a couple more for you.

For bags, you can look at J&P Cycles. They have a bunch of different brand names. T-Bags, Saddleman. Get the biggest trip bag you can get. Most of them will collapse down if all the storage isn't needed. But it will be.
Biggest is important - feature rich and quality matter too. The biggest bags I've found to date are the Deemeed at 100 litres, which is about 28 litres larger than the largest T-Bag, Saddleman or Kuryakyn I could find.

http://www.deemeed.com/index.php

I used to take my chaps on road trips, but I found that if I wear a nylon/wool long john bottoms I will stay warn (if it isn't TOOO cold) and not too hot when it is warm. I have a high quality rain suit. The first one I got was a low cost one and the crotch seam spilt mid rain storm. Looked like I peed my pants.
Another alternative is to use high tech gear if you have the money. Layering in Merino wool with under armor, mid layer and then a shell of Leather or Gortex works well. Frogger rain gear doesn't take up much space and is cheap and light. You'll have to read about Merino wool as there's too much information to post here. You tube has much about it.

I normally wear a half helmet, but for road trips I'll take along either my 3/4 with shield or full face. They will strap on the outside of the bags very nicely.

Good luck and enjoy.
My wife and I are looking into the Nolan N43 Modular helmets this year. They have 6 combinations and go from a full face to a 3/4 by removing pieces. They also are designed to integrate with the N-Com communications blue tooth system - it does A2DP. There's a video on them that shows how they work from Revzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=M4sqZnqdtSs#!

These are just a few high priced/high tech travelling options. Merino wool is worth the money and once you wear it you will never go without it again.

Quick Reply: How much stuff to take on a long road trip?