Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much stuff to take on a long road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Bring the Tide wash in the sink stuff.
Then socks n underwear can be washed in the sink. Hotel prices in Canada can be high in some parts.

If you're heading to Western Canada, (AB, or BC) pm me. I'll see if I can throw some hints your way.
Visa / MasterCard for gas. Most everywhere has pay at the pump.

Have an awesome trip and a digital camera and spare digital card.

Harry

Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. I am traveling from CA to WV in May.........

Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Definitely bring the leather jacket. You'd be surprised with the temperature swings you will encounter.

I have found over the years that I bring less and less clothing each trip. When you're out on the road you can wear the same clothes for a few days. For me regardless of how long the trip will be I limit my packing to two pairs of socks and undies plus the pair I'm wearing, one pair of jeans plus the pair I'm wearing and a couple long sleeve tee-shirts. That's about it.

As far as the previous comment about "balancing" your load, yes do it within reason, but weighing each saddlebag is way overkill. My left saddlebag is permanent storage for bike cleaning supplies, tools, and a few bottles of water. It weighs about 25-30 pounds and even when the right saddlebag is empty it has little to no adverse effect on the bikes handling, and definitely not a noticeable lean. Remember we're talking about a 900 lb. bike to start with. A few extra pounds left or right of center don't have much impact.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
canicta
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring your worst t-shirts and underwear and socks. When done with them throw them away. It lightens the load and makes room for items you may purchase on your trip.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
T3BEAR
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I would recommend is to take a small bag w/shoulder strap along with your main one. In the small bag keep the stuff you need easy access to and carry with you when off the bike. Camera, spare batteries, flashlight, gloves, snacks, medicines, documents, towels, glasses, etc. This way you don't have to unpack the other bags looking for something and it's easy on and off.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Always keep a washcloth and soap in a ziplock hands. At a fuel or chow stop, feels so good to wash off the road grime. Just the basic tool roll that came with the bike. Can of fix s flat

Old 03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Definitely bring the leather jacket. You'd be surprised with the temperature swings you will encounter.

I have found over the years that I bring less and less clothing each trip. When you're out on the road you can wear the same clothes for a few days. For me regardless of how long the trip will be I limit my packing to two pairs of socks and undies plus the pair I'm wearing, one pair of jeans plus the pair I'm wearing and a couple long sleeve tee-shirts. That's about it.

As far as the previous comment about "balancing" your load, yes do it within reason, but weighing each saddlebag is way overkill. My left saddlebag is permanent storage for bike cleaning supplies, tools, and a few bottles of water. It weighs about 25-30 pounds and even when the right saddlebag is empty it has little to no adverse effect on the bikes handling, and definitely not a noticeable lean. Remember we're talking about a 900 lb. bike to start with. A few extra pounds left or right of center don't have much impact.
My clothes packing is just about identical to what he lists. Very minimal. When I do my annual cross-country road trip from San Diego to Illinois I stay with family for about two weeks once I'm there. So what I do is ship a few nice shirts and dress slacks and shoes out there ahead of time via UPS. As far as on the bike just 3 shirts (the one I'm wearing plus two more) and one extra pair of jeans. About 3 extra pairs of undies n sox and a toothbrush, book, cell phone charger, iPad and charger, small digital camera and a few basic tools. Maybe a small pocket portable AM/FM radio. A couple bottles of water in case you break down and your rain gear. Leather jacket needless to say.

Do plan on possible colder temps as passing through the mountains and/or at night the temps can drop surprisingly even in summer.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Haven't seen anything about a bug-out bag, 2X and your set.

I ride with full tool kit minus jack, water & extra 2 liters fuel in one saddle bag, wear your leathers, triple up on underwear, 1X pants & shirt then enjoy. Don't forget the CC bud.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. I've contemplated one like this myself, but not in a position to do it yet... I've thought I'd pack light, as many have recommended. Wash things every other night. Have plenty of room for stuff (T's and such) I'd buy along the way. If I got too much 'stuff', ship some home. I'd have a list of dealers with me, and their locations. I'd keep tools to a minimum. GPS. A road atlas, too (since there's no substitute for having a hardcopy map, and since it's a flat book, stows easy). Make a list beforehand of itinerary, including planned sights you'd like to see. When I do it, I won't be moving to a schedule, but to my inclination.

Good luck, and be safe.

Alan

Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

When I do a week long trip a have a packing list that covers everything including the kitchen sink. I then decide as I'm packing the bike if I really have room for it. The best advice I've read in this post is know who you are riding with when you cross the boarder. Hard to say what a stranger could be carrying that could cause you trouble and ruin the trip.

Quick Reply: How much stuff to take on a long road trip?