Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
fenderguy53. They are very effective in eliminating wind buffeting. At speeds over 60 mph I would get lots of buffeting ( eyes couldn't focus). After mounting I tested at 60-90 mph in headwinds and following winds and side winds. They eliminate most of the buffeting I had experienced. I was not surprised since I had used similar deflectors on another bike I owned previously.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the feedback, oakmossy.

Buffeting is not as much an issue when I wear my sport goggles, but when I wear my sunglasses, the buffeting is quite noticeable - AND annoying!

Originally Posted by jskicet
I had the same issue, Eyeballs bounced so bad i got a headache in a matter of minutes...

I added the fork deflectors and went back to the stock windshield. Done! Love the bike now.
Which fork deflectors did you get?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dugan
Thanks Bruin & Shep. I may need to bite the bullet and get a set of these. Not a fan of the looks but as I ride more I'm beginning to get past the looks and get on with function. I thought I've seen the newer style fork deflectors in gloss black but HD catalog doesn't show them.
The one's you get from Harley are chrome. The outfit that is the subject of this thread (jecustomaccents.com) sells them in chrome, unfinished and gloss black. I got the black one's and they are barely noticeable. Added bonus they are quite a bit cheaper than the chrome set at $105 shipped. Honestly between a windshield and these fork deflectors you won't have any wind turbulence issues.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
gnewman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put these from jescustomaccents on my Ultra last summer in black and agree, one of the best upgrades. Sitting in a pocket of calm, no more buffeting from below.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:42 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Thanks Bruin & Shep. I may need to bite the bullet and get a set of these. Not a fan of the looks but as I ride more I'm beginning to get past the looks and get on with function. I thought I've seen the newer style fork deflectors in gloss black but HD catalog doesn't show them.
If your front end is chrome, I would leave them chrome to help them blend in, visually. I tested mine as chrome, and while it doesn't eliminate buffeting completely found the results to be enough for me to get them powdercoated gloss so that they're visually appealing. The full frontal pictures make them look fugly at that angle, but in person they're not that noticeable...my buds didn't even notice them.
I'm trying every possible combo to help manage the buffeting:

Attached Thumbnails Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic-deflectors-blended.jpg   Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic-deflectors-side-view.jpg   Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic-deflectors-with-8-lrs-recurve.jpg   Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic-deflectors-with-10-windvest-recurve.jpg   Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic-deflectors-with-10-hd-windsplitter.jpg  

Old 05-13-2014, 04:37 PM
leadermc
Former Sponsor

dugan, you could check out the Desert Dawgs Rain Guards/Wind Deflectors first... they are easy-on, easy-off and do cut down a lot of the updrafts: http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/harl...n-rain-guards/

Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Leadermc,

Why would someone with hard lowers buy your product? Another plug for your site in this thread...

The deflectors are for the wind coming between the lowers and the bottom of the fairing. I ordered a set in black and will install them Saturday.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 05-13-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

The following is well written and to the point.

Originally Posted by Bruin08
Dugan....This is how it works. The "freedom" wings (ones that attach to the fairing that twist open and close if you get adjustable ones) block the wind coming at your arm pits, face and head, hard lower fairings block wind coming on your feet (dont fight the wind to keep your feet in place on the floor board and add extra storage or speakers/subs, fork mounted deflectors (the ones discussed in this thread) block the wind that comes between the lower fairing and tank which ends up causing buffeting and wind in your face and chest. I also have the dish that goes between the forks and that is supposed to block the wind from coming from over the top of the tank. I never really noticed a difference once putting it on, but I bought it since it was 40 bucks and was looking to stop the wind coming from the tank, which I eventually learned was from the lower fairing.

I never had issues with buffeting when I didnt have lower fairing, but I like them now since my feet dont fight the wind for restate on the floorboard and even more since adding fork deflectors.

My bike has the following, freedom wings, hard lower fairing, these fork deflectors and the dish. I am able to ride at 75+ without any buffeting. I am running the 9in lrs shield and will proab be getting an 8in clear so I can see over it. If I was to buy another bike, I would use all of these again. Also, I rode my bike from New Orleans, to Biloxi and was planning on running to Foley, AL however I was riding into 16mph winds and 20mph wind gusts and I couldnt last due to the buffeting giving me such a terrible headache. The same day as this ride, I got home and these fork deflectors were home waiting one me. I put them on and rode back into the wind and it was NIGHT AND DAY. I could have made it to Foley, AL without any issues.

It is nice not have buffeting and not having wind blasting you. Right now I have a breeze while riding the bike and can position my feet anyway on the bike. Before, if I wanted my feet on the highway pegs, I couldnt leave my legs off the tank. If I did I would have such terrible buffeting. Therefore, if I wanted my feet on the highway pegs, I had to keep my knees pressed on the tank which blocked the window from coming at me creating buffeting.

I dont smoke, so I cant tell you about being able to smoke while on the interstate.

IMHO, I never like how they looked and would have never bought them if they didnt have such consistent/good reviews, but I honestly dont think they look that bad now that I have them on my bike. And I learned quick!!! Functionality is more important than looks.

June or July of 2015, I will be making a run to Reno, NV from N.O. If I do it in 2, it will be a 700+ mile run each day and I dont think I could not have made it with how my bike was setup before adding these fork deflectors. Now I dont think I will have any issues other then staying hydrated.

I would say, these are more expensive, about $100 more than Harley, but if your Harley shop is like my shop, the harley fork deflectors are a special order item and if they dont fit as another member said they do with the lowers, then you will be eating them or losing 20% for restocking or losing 20% restocking and having store credit only. Not to mention if they need a little tweaking to fit, then you will be eating the full price since Harley wont take them back and you will be hard pressed to find somebody to buy them since they are bent.

And to answer your question, I would do both the freedom wings and the fork deflectors. But one think I have learned over the course of adding things to my street glide, each bike is different depending on how its setup and the rider's demographics (height, weight etc). Sometimes you add one thing and it makes something else worse and vise versa. My bike is setup for about the most air protection your going to get on a street glide.

As you can tell, I am very happy with them and if I was to do it all over again, these would be ordered day one of owing the bike.

One last thing, your windshield will make a huge difference in the ride? The stock street glide windshield is USELESS!!!!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Steve, the Harley version (part # 57400146A) is $71 @ Kutter H-D.

Just sayin'...
I don't believe they will work with lowers.

Haven't tried it, just going by what moco says.... of course, they also said you can't use the windshield pouch if you have a detachable luggage rack....

Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
skycruiser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the HD ones will work or not with the lowers?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Do the JES work with the HD tie downs?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-down-brackets

Quick Reply: Black Ultra Fork Wind Deflectors ....Fantastic