Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerned About Oil Temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Concerned About Oil Temp

I was out for a ride today (ironically to check out an indy shop in the area) on my 12 Ultra that just turned 1,000 miles. Most of the route was on US 1, which as you may know is lots of go half a mile, stop at a light, go half a mile, stop at a light, repeat. It was in the mid 80s and sunny. On the way back the bike felt hot when I put my legs down at the lights. When I got home I pushed the button on my HD LCD oil temp/level dipstick right after cutting the bike off in the garage and the temp read 280 degrees with the oil level display flashing up and down.

I'm having the 1k service done tomorrow by the indy I went to visit. I thought with the factory oil cooler they were supposed to run cooler, but this thing runs hotter than my 2010 EGC with the 96 that didnt have an oil cooler! Is the temp I experienced normal or is this something I should mention to the shop tomorrow? I'm also thinking that in swapping out my PC-V from the old bike to the new one the map that the dealer put in it to do the swap may not be the best.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:14 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you taken the cat out of the tailpipe? i have no idea as to oil temperature...but my bike does feel cooler on my legs with the cat removed.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by dan conner
have you taken the cat out of the tailpipe? i have no idea as to oil temperature...but my bike does feel cooler on my legs with the cat removed.
Still has the cat in the header pipe (stock), but I'm more concerned with the high engine operating temp than that heat on my legs. The heat I could handle, was hot but not burning on my lower legs.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
spiker
Road Master

The oil cooler doesn't do to much unless your moving.I think you have to have your PCV re-mapped before you put it in your 2012.(different engine sizes)I think that will definitely help,also Amsoil or Mobil 1 now that you have 1000 miles on it.What really sucks though,it's was 80 and sunny today by you,and we're getting the most snowfall of the year here.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As ya know the cat is in the header pipe. Welcome to the battle we are all facing. First get rid of the cat! Now the rest depends on what you want to do with it. If you change the air intake you must have access to the ECM to re-tune. The stock ECM settings are EPA approved. This = heat. The oil temp in a engine with a fan assist oil cooler rarely gets above 230 in the summer. Take that for what its worth. Its a endless cycle, I'm telling ya. If all you want is a cooler running bike,,,, do research, get rid of cat, check out different slip on mufflers, free flow air intake & a tuner. Performance will be a bonus. How much further ya wanna go? That should take care of the heat. 230 oil temp max.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

have you done the 1st service yet?? mine run really hot.. highway riding..then stop.. saw 290+ degrees.. I was worried...call the dealer..thay told me after the 1st oil change it would cool down... I thought thay were full of it.,.. well sure enough after the factory oil..it did drop... then i changed my tuner & pipes...runs normal now.. my 09 never had a cat..I have no oil cooler & even in traffic & never see 280 degrees any more.. ocassionaly 250 if in traffic ..

Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

260-280 degrees is normal for the newer bikes, that's why you need to use a good 100% synthetic motorcycle 20W50 oil.

My 08 SE3 runs 280 oil temp on a hot day.

I run 20W50 Amsoil motorcycle oil with no worries !!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
boom23
Tourer

Option 1: Get the Stage 1 map, get rid of the catalytic converter (or get aftermarket headers), install FL-XiED, use synthetic oil, and you should be running better and cooler.

Option 2: Dyno tune your bike, instead of getting Stage 1 Map and FL-XiED.

Stop & Go traffic is always the killer...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

1000 Miles on it, your motor is braking in. At 5000 miles it will run a lot better, and a
oil cooler will help too. I think a good synthetic oil will hold up to that temperature. The
engine is still new and still tight, in stop and go riding it will get hot.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
As ya know the cat is in the header pipe. Welcome to the battle we are all facing. First get rid of the cat! Now the rest depends on what you want to do with it. If you change the air intake you must have access to the ECM to re-tune. The stock ECM settings are EPA approved. This = heat. The oil temp in a engine with a fan assist oil cooler rarely gets above 230 in the summer. Take that for what its worth. Its a endless cycle, I'm telling ya. If all you want is a cooler running bike,,,, do research, get rid of cat, check out different slip on mufflers, free flow air intake & a tuner. Performance will be a bonus. How much further ya wanna go? That should take care of the heat. 230 oil temp max.
what does the cat have to do with the oil temp???

Quick Reply: Concerned About Oil Temp