Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Finer filtration so no risk of damage, if anything improved life.

As will all things in life, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so the price you pay is reduced life as it will clog quicker as it extracts more.

Thing is, you invariably change the filter before it is clogged, and you have no way of telling it is clogged anyway so basically you shouldn't notice this
this is not necessarily true...if the filter media surface area is the same, than what you say is true, but if the surface area of the media is higher the life expectancy can be the same. also finer filtration can mean higher internal resistance, meaning less flow of oil even when clean...BUT I suspect that the because the oil filter was designed for the application that there will be not problems...

Old 03-03-2012, 03:18 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=mrfikser;9470649]this is not necessarily true...if the filter media surface area is the same, than what you say is true, but if the surface area of the media is higher the life expectancy can be the samequote]

Agreed, quite right

Originally Posted by mrfikser
...also finer filtration can mean higher internal resistance, meaning less flow of oil even when clean...BUT I suspect that the because the oil filter was designed for the application that there will be not problems...
Actually that is not correct (in theory at least and certainly within the scope of this in practice as well). The pump is a positive displacement pump which means it will deliver the same flow irrespective of resistance. What could happen is that you divert some flow across the relief valve but I doubt it as that is set for a highly contaminated filter (at which point we can assume a 5um and 10um filter are the same thing).

I practice what will happen is you will see an increase in pressure between the pumo and filter which means you are drawing more power for the pump which, in turn, means reduced brake horse. Of course these numbers are that small that it is extremely unlikely anyone would notice a damn thing.

Personally, if I was offered 5um or 10um I would take 5um rather (assuming they are both absolute ratings of course but that is a whole new debate)

Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 AM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, Harley makes two filters, a 5 micron and a 10 micron. The 5 micron is designed for EVO motors and the 10 is for Twin Cams, that is the only difference between the two H-D Filters. The Twin Cam has tighter tolerances, hence the stricter filter.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by captainron62
Guys, Harley makes two filters, a 5 micron and a 10 micron. The 5 micron is designed for EVO motors and the 10 is for Twin Cams, that is the only difference between the two H-D Filters. The Twin Cam has tighter tolerances, hence the stricter filter.
Sorry, but you got that backwards. 5 is for the TC and 10 for the EVO

Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5 micron is correct.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by brummie
and he checked his shelf and all he had was 5 micron...will this be OK. to use.
That's the one you want.