Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about after market stereos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM
widebody83
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about after market stereos?

I've been having problems with my stereo going in and out, and I'm thinking about going with an after market radio. My thing is i don't want to lose use of the handle bar controls, and i also want to be able to continue to use my j&m 250 amp thats mounted in the fairing. Its been a while since i installed the amp and I'm thinking the amp was mounted to the radio some how, How would this work with a after market radio? i called a local bike shop, that told me to get the biketronics wire hardest for $225 that would allow me to install a new radio and keep use of the controls as long as i get a marine radio that has a input on the back for a remote for volume control. Im sure a lot of you guys have after market radios. What advice do you have for me?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Big jerry
Advanced

I useing a Kenwood system in mine Having alsorts of issues with it .Called biketronis sent me a new module it didnt fix it .So im going to a sony radio marine version hope this solves the issues im having. Biketronics are very helpful with there products

Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
onthelo
Road Master

I use the Hawg Wired products on every bike I build. You can use Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony, Pioneer. Purchase the universal kit called the HAU470 the only thing you need to besides that is get a stereo that has the wired "IR" port on the back side and you will be good to go as far as you hand controls are concerned. Happy stereo hunting

Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
widebody83
Advanced

Originally Posted by onthelo
I use the Hawg Wired products on every bike I build. You can use Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony, Pioneer. Purchase the universal kit called the HAU470 the only thing you need to besides that is get a stereo that has the wired "IR" port on the back side and you will be good to go as far as you hand controls are concerned. Happy stereo hunting
so this kit your speaking of from hawg wired does the same thing as the harness the guy tried to sell me from biketronics? now as far as radios to hook to this kit, they have to be marine radios as well as have the "IR" port on the back correct?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I am running Hawg Wired adapter and a Kenwood head unit, my hand controls work fine. the radio is not a marine radio. been thru lots of rain, only one issue in a deluge, but once it dried a little bit it was fine. I had way more issues with my stock radio before it finally took a crap on me. My Kenwood is in it's 3rd year. When it finally gives up, I think I might try one of the Sony's that has a hidden tray for an ipod, and no cd player.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I have a Hawg Wired cradle and bezel on my 03 FLHTPI, with a non marine JVC radio and no remote. My bike rarely sees water btw.

Never a problem, and I have no problem hitting the throttle lock to free up my hand to change the station or adjust the volume.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
widebody83
Advanced

thanks a lot everyone ready look into this hawg wired adapter now. i guess my only other question would be when running the after market radio along with the amp that is now currently mounted with the factory radios bolts, what would keep the amp in place? and since the after market radio will have 4 speaker out puts verse the 2 the factory radio had that ran into the amp. what would you just use the 2 front speaker wires from the head unit and run to the amp?