Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Of Dry Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Can Of Dry Gas

Anybody use dry gas regularly? My son (who doesn't ride) stopped at the house yesterday. We got talking about the ethynol at the gas pumps, and he suggested dry gas every 2nd or 3rd fillup. I'm not a mechanic. What does it do --- help get rid of moisture in the tank? Do you recommend it in the bike, if you've used it?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have never used it nor known anyone to use it in their bikes. Seafoam is popular though.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Question

Dry Gas ???? I also add seafoam on a regular basis. You should be able to find alot of info if you do a search here on HDF..

Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on a motorcycle you introduce atmosphere every time you open the gas cap and I dont think the alcohol in the dry gas will prevent moisture if the out side of the tank is colder than the inside. but the alcohol will make the engine, well feel like its running on alcohol so you may think "hey this stuff is great" hickup!!
anyway if you keep the tank filled it will keep moisture down in the gas tank just as well.
well thats just my opinion and according to the chemist and physicist here its usually wrong.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 10% ethanol required at most pumps anymore, you're getting a gallon of "dry gas" for every 10 you put in your tank. Putting a can of pure ethanol/methanol in your tank on top of all that wouldn't serve any purpose (except to rob you of even more power).

Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Seafoam is all I use.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ks6c
With 10% ethanol required at most pumps anymore, you're getting a gallon of "dry gas" for every 10 you put in your tank. Putting a can of pure ethanol/methanol in your tank on top of all that wouldn't serve any purpose (except to rob you of even more power).

There is more power in ethanol than gasoline. When you run E85 in a car designed for it you can feel the difference in the fuel.

The big thing about ethanol is the fuel system has to be designed to run it. Ethanol will EAT a fuel systhem that does not have the proper seals and o-rings.

The second thing is because there is more power in ethanol your mileage will suffer. Cars actually have two different ratings. One for gas and one for E85. You can expect about 20 to 30 percent less mileage.

The third thing is I have not seen anywhere that the fuel system on our Harleys are designed for E85 let alone 100% ethanol. I beleive running either of these fuels by themselves would be a very bad thing.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
There is more power in ethanol than gasoline. When you run E85 in a car designed for it you can feel the difference in the fuel.

The big thing about ethanol is the fuel system has to be designed to run it. Ethanol will EAT a fuel systhem that does
not have the proper seals and o-rings.

The second thing is because there is more power in ethanol your mileage will suffer. Cars actually have two different
ratings. One for gas and one for E85. You can expect about 20 to 30 percent less mileage.

The third thing is I have not
seen anywhere that the fuel system on our Harleys are designed for E85 let alone 100% ethanol. I beleive running either of these fuels by themselves would be a very bad
thing.
More power in ethanol? Um no. It is higher octane and you can add more timing to an engine designed to run up to e85 however there are less btu's per drop in alcohol so you have to burn more of it to go any given distance.
It's very relative and your statement is misleading. A motor burning alcohol will make more power and burn more fuel doing it.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
More power in ethanol? Um no. It is higher octane and you can add more timing to an engine designed to run up to e85 however there are less btu's per drop in alcohol so you have to burn more of it to go any given distance.
It's very relative and your statement is misleading. A motor burning alcohol will make more power and burn more fuel doing it.
That is what I ment to say. You can make more power running E85 but you consume much more fuel to get the same hoarsepower.

To set the record straight:
1 gallon of gasoline has 124,000 btu where
1 gallon of E85 has 84,400 btu.

So not only does the fuel system have to be designed correctly the ECM has to be able to sense the type of fuel in the tank and be able to make the changes to acheive the same power levels.

As a stock Harley sits it should make less power running E85.

Quick Reply: Can Of Dry Gas