Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Brawler Seat on 2012 Street Glide - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:48 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Brawler Seat on 2012 Street Glide - Problem

Anyone have the HD Brawler seat - part # 51525-09A - on their 2012 Street Glide?

I just got my new bike finally, went to put the seat on - and there is NO way I can get the tongue from the bracket by the gas tank to fit into the slot on the seat. It appears to be completely impossible. The tank is just totally in the way.

Additionally - I'm curious about those who have this seat & switch between seats. Do you have to remove the bracket on the fender when you put your 2 up seat on? Or will it just ride on top of it? I'm concerned that even if this seat DID fit - that the mounting stud that the acorn nut goes on to will poke a hole into my 2 up seat (Badlander).

And that acorn nut - is it supposed to be tightened down all the way? I know they give torque specs, but, when I simply tried to thread that acorn nut onto the bracket stud, it stripped the paint away and I'm afraid I'll strip it if I try to tighten it down to where it will meet the washer.

Any help appreciated. From the looks of it - I'm going to have to try to return this thing Wonder if there was a slight seat config change in 2012 which makes this seat invalid on this model this year...HD parts online states it's 2008 and up still . . .

Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and it fits great. the tab on the back of my seat is adjustable. Yes you have to take that bracket off the fender to install a 2up seat. can I get a picture? confuses me because my seat worked on my buddies 2012. I have the brawler and my stocker. my wife don't ride much with the kids. so the stocker works for when she does want to ride. I had the badlander on my fatboy and my wife was very angry about it.lol

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

and the acorn nut is tight the first few times going down to the washer. but it loosens up after a few installs. so yes get it down so it holds your seat down.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply & info. It'd be hard to take a pic. It's not the rear bracket on the seat I'm concerned with; it's getting the little tongue that feeds into the seat - its what holds the front of the seat down. There's no way in hell I can get that tongue to fit into the slot on the bottom of the seat...you have to have a certain "angle of approach" to mount the seat properly - and its just not possible to hit the correct angle to get that tongue into the seat; the gas tank is totally in the way. If that tongue was longer...than it might work...I'll take a pic of that part to clarify what I'm talking about.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like it's just a very low profile seat. Probably have to have it almost flat on the frame and then push down and forward at the front to engage the tab.

Can't answer the other questions.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

I get what your saying. I just wonder how they messed that up mine slides on easy usually on the first try. which makes me wonder if they gave you the wrong seat in the right box. if you get what I am saying.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Hey here are some shots of mine hope it helps.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

Yep -those pics are what I'm working with...I was able to get it on a couple of times - but only by putting the full weight of my body on the front - to "bend" it enough to get the tongue into the slot. Taking it off was super tight & I had to wiggle it...when it was on - it looked great! lol

I imagine after I get it on - secure it & ride it around - it "may" loosen up a bit? I dunno...this is driving me nuts though. All other seats I put on were easy. This has the part number on a label underneath - it appears to be correct...but dayum...of course, yours is a 2011 too...and I seem to recall the dealer saying they did something different regarding the seats this year...

I know when mine was "on" - there was no gap whatsoever in the front..it overlapped actually...I think they made a minor change on the seat mount area of the frame...

Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

mine was a bitch for a while. but it loosened up. when I installed it on the 2012 it went on easy. so my guess is the seat will loosen up over time.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
menace929
Intermediate

I have the same seat and have the same problem. I have removed and reinstalled the seat maybe four times. I still need to press down on the seat with my full body weight to get it to catch.

Quick Reply: HD Brawler Seat on 2012 Street Glide - Problem