Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

I spent a good chuck of money on J&M rokkers & amp recently, finally got it installed and it is probably the worst sounding stereo I have ever heard.

Don't get me wrong, it is loud, but it sounds like I'm listening to it underwater or something, very flat and muffled sounding. Everything is set up correctly, settings are correct. Just sounds like butt.

So any serious audio guys found a good two speaker solution for good sounds on their bike?

If you're running something like jenson, or Rockford fostgate, no offense but this thread isn't for you.

Anyone found any speaker / amp solutions with serious sound manufacturers? I'm pretty sure I'm going with a kenwood slide our DVD player at this point, I'm looking for information on bikes that have alpine, kenwood, jl or other legit manufacterers that are serious about sound.

Also: could it possibly be the head unit making my J&M system sound so much like garbage? The quality of the J&M product seems nice, no idea why it sounds wal Marty.

Do I honestly have

Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like something is not right.

I'm no fan of J&M's but they didn't sound bad. They just didn't sound anything worth their price.

make sure you're running the right ohm version for your headunit.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact Dragonfly

they're audio sounded A+++ in person last year when I ran into them at Biketoberfest

the Focal speakers they have in their higher end (not the basic install, but a step or two up) with their ARC amp and tuning was tops out of everyone I have heard.

If you just want to keep it at two speakers I really don't think there is another choice

Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Originally Posted by shore
Sounds like something is not right.

I'm no fan of J&M's but they didn't sound bad. They just didn't sound anything worth their price.

make sure you're running the right ohm version for your headunit.
I've sent the amp & speakers both to jm, I've sent pictures of my setting to their customer service, they say it is perfect.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Originally Posted by lgenf
Contact Dragonfly

they're audio sounded A+++ in person last year when I ran into them at Biketoberfest

the Focal speakers they have in their higher end (not the basic install, but a step or two up) with their ARC amp and tuning was tops out of everyone I have heard.

If you just want to keep it at two speakers I really don't think there is another choice
Have a link?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

The J&M amp you are running is basically the same as an Arc Audio KS series mini amp. You didn't specify if you were running the four channel or the two, but regardless it is a fine amplifier.

I think the J&M Rokker 7.25" sound OK.. If you want a truly exceptional sounding speaker Focal's K2 Power series 165 KRC's work great. They are spendy, but what the hell you only live once

I swap my stuff out fairly regularly. I have run, Hertz Hi-Energy, Polk MM series, J&M Rokkers and currently running JL Audio C5-650X's.. I got two sets for $300 so in they went and they sound pretty darn nice.

I will be trying the Arc Audio Moto series speakers next, they are designed for the motorcycle installation. They are supposed to sound really nice, several people I know that have heard them rate them higher than the Hertz High Energy and the JL C5's, so that says a lot. I can get two sets of 'em for $400...

Still cheaper than one set of Focals.. While the Focals are exceptional, it's hard to justify when the sound quality is lost at speed due to the wind noise.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

im running 2 channel on the jm 250 amp, you are you saying that I will be more happy running the jm amp with jl speakers? Let me know what you think, thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
onthelo
Road Master

I use the Focal IC165 2 way coax 6 3/4" speakers up front on the guys bikes that want just a two speaker/amp setup. I use the Arc Audio mini 125.2 bx, the new BX model has a special adjustment pot which allows for more detailed mid bass from asmaller speaker such as the size were talking about. The Focal speakers are high end and every bike I have done with them has left people amazed. I have some videos, not sure how to post them though as well the head unit makes a huge difference if your using the stock HD unit or an aftermarket. Aftermarket always has many more adjustments and tweaks can be made to adjust the sound quality. Hope this helps a bit any other questions let me know and possibly I can help.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you put the J&M padding in your fairing? If you did, rip it out.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
im running 2 channel on the jm 250 amp, you are you saying that I will be more happy running the jm amp with jl speakers? Let me know what you think, thanks!

sublime is correct, the J&M amp is basically the same, it's an OEM from ARC, but since J&M wanted their name on it, it's not the same

as for the link to dragonfly

http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/index.htm

while at Biketoberfest last year I went and stood in everyone's audio booths

now forget about their display bikes (and the stand up displays with nice air space in them) - they've got thousands wrapped up in those things and they have been tuned perfectly, and the standup displays have way more airspace then your fairing is going to give you (on a side note, I wonder if anyone has ever wrapped the inside of their fairing with dynomat to get a better bass sound from the limited air space?)

I went and listened to the customer bikes they were finishing as they put them back together and plugged in my own iphone and played my own music and I can tell you with 100% certainty, there was nothing that sounded better then the bikes dragonfly was putting down the road, and there were plenty of folks taking off all kinds of other audio combos, including a dude that spent $$$ with J&M earlier in the week and wasn't happy at all.

Quick Reply: Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?