Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 AM
friendly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Bose is legendary only in the mainstream public's minds. Talk to anyone who is serious about music reproduction and they will laugh at the mention of the "B" word.

Shakey
Agreed man Bose is way over hyped and if your using Bose as a reference for good sound I don't need your advice no offense I would say for the money they are ok at best as long as you don't listen to them louder than maybe 10 watts at a time they use paper cones which are ancient technology actually like 100 years or so.But sadly with good marketing you can always fool the wannabes.Just like those who but sporsters they don't know jack. Again no offense just my opinion.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 AM
friendly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I'd agree with what you say about high fidelity. I'm not a big earbud guy on a bike, just my preference. I do like listening through my speakers but I know there are diminishing returns due to environmental noise so I spend just enough to be enjoyable to me. I've got $275 in an amp, $100 in speakers, $25 in adapter rings and $10 in dynamat. The sound is good to me. Somebody else may not like it. I'm not going to win any parking lot contests. But AC/DC sounded good to me at 70 coming in to work this morning. Also plus one on real bass without a sub, it aint happening.
If you don't wanna be loud why did you buy a Harley?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
go listen to a set of Hertz speakers and mind u these are not cars and the sound you get wont sound like the cabin of a car....
I also have the 6½" Hertz speakers (Biketronics branded) and they work very well with a 250w/ch. @ 2Ω Elf amp and Hogtunes Hog Pod. The Hertz are 3Ω and Hogpods 6Ω, so I connected in parallel for a final output of 2Ω. I also have DynaXorb mats behind the speakers, attached inside the outer fairing. I'm very happy with the result, but it doesn't sound like the home-theater system in my den and never will, not even close.

I second your comment about comparing to an auto environment, as like Hypurr said very well I don't think it is possible to realize true bass response from a batwing fairing regardless of amp power or speaker size. It's just a lousy open environment, almost as bad as tying the bare speakers to the handlebars. I've also thought about the earbud concept, but I don't like wires and trials reveal that the buds become dislodged from my ears easily and are impossible to replace while riding. I keep looking for a good internal-speaker solution for my 3/4 helmet, preferably one sourced by Bluetooth. I could then use my phone as the source, which has hundreds of MP3's stored on it.

Last edited by iclick; 03-22-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 kazillion on the Hertz speakers. If you replace your HU along the way make sure you are able to see the display in bright sunlight.