Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
friendly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default streetglide audio

I know this is an exhausted topic but that's what forums are for enthusiasts right?Enthusiasts always have questions so here are some of mine hope you can help.I too am looking to upgrade my audio on my 09 streetglide.Just a 2 ch system for now but potentially adding 2 more in the future unless it's not worth going to 4 ch.I would like to limit my 2 ch setup to a max of $1000 budget for now.At home I have a Marantz 5.1 pre-amp PS Audio pwr amp and 5.1 Totem spkr setup and looking for a nice turntable if you have a mid to high end vinyl spinner your thinking of selling let me know.Hope this helps you get a feel for the kind of fidelity I'm after. Someone recomended Fosgate Marine.What's that like marine stuff for bikes makes sense to me given the environment their in.Hope I can get some quality feedback from the guys that understand R.M.S etc.Cheers

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by friendly
I know this is an exhausted topic but that's what forums are for enthusiasts right?Enthusiasts always have questions so here are some of mine hope you can help.I too am looking to upgrade my audio on my 09 streetglide.Just a 2 ch system for now but potentially adding 2 more in the future unless it's not worth going to 4 ch.I would like to limit my 2 ch setup to a max of $1000 budget for now.At home I have a Marantz 5.1 pre-amp PS Audio pwr amp and 5.1 Totem spkr setup and looking for a nice turntable if you have a mid to high end vinyl spinner your thinking of selling let me know.Hope this helps you get a feel for the kind of fidelity I'm after. Someone recomended Fosgate Marine.What's that like marine stuff for bikes makes sense to me given the environment their in.Hope I can get some quality feedback from the guys that understand R.M.S etc.Cheers
if that's your budget call Drago's Bike Works a forum sponsor order Hawg Wire's 6 pak and tweeter grills , it will be well under your budget and rocks , he gives a good discount too

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM
LeeH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ppalmerjr
Were you able to set this up so that you could use the hand controls for IPOD and radio control?
Using the Hawg Wired HSA-150 interface. The best I can do is scroll up or down the folder / song selection on my IPod and my USB memory stick. It works great for the radio and CD controls.

Last edited by LeeH; 03-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
the bad bagger
Cruiser

I run a Sony head unit ran without an amp and sounded nice and clear. Just needed to drive the Hertz speakers. Run Rockford Fosgate pbr300x2 driving the speakers with 100 watts per speaker sounds great. The Hertz are a great sounding speaker but they do need to be driven by an amp just like any top of the line speaker.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Hypurr
Stage I

I don't normally pipe up in forums, but motorcycles and music are my hobbies so this thread drew me in. I read all of the posts and besides everyone trying to one-up each other, there was some good information. Music and the way it sounds are very subjective and a lot has to do with the type of music you are listening to. One thing is certain, I have never heard a sound system on a bike that can even come close to the balanced sound of a good audio system. I have thousands invested in audio equipment at home and in my truck and I don't care how many amps or speakers you put on a bike, it doesn't even come close to the fidelity of a true audio system. Here are some points I'd like to inject:

Truly good bass can never be achieved with small speakers, especially when they don't have a tuned cabinet to reside in. The fairing is open and you will get phase distortion that cancels bass from the back of the speakers. There was a bike at Daytona that had 2 8" sub boxes in the saddle bags and it had good bass, but that is an exception.

On a bike you are competing with road, wind and engine noise. Pumping more power doesn't eliminate this noise, so even if you are pushing your system to it's limits, that noise is still there. My hearing is important to me and I don't care to go deaf just trying to hear mediocre sound at 80mph. I'm also not worried about trying to impress other bikers at bike night with my sound system, I just want good sound.

This leads up to the only true solution if you truly care about fidelity and not just showing off. I made a headset that incorporates high end ear buds into my helmet. This serves two purposes, it cuts out much of the wind and road noise and injects the sound straight into my ears. This way I can turn the volume down and still hear the music clearly and crank it up without going deaf. Also, when I'm not listening to anything the ear buds act as ear plugs to protect my hearing. Even low passages can be heard clearly this way.

The source input is important, too. Trying to stream Pandora while going down the road will result in crappy sound since it will be 128k at best and while moving more like 64k. Also, all "I" devices have notoriously bad DACs and this introduces distortion. I use an good MP3 player connected to the aux. input with a RS cable (don't waste your money on Monster cable, you can't hear the difference on a bike) with 320k MP3 files. And all radio, whether FM or XM is compressed almost to the point of being unlistenable to me.

The one thing I have learned from this thread is there are no good solutions to the crappy sound from fairing mounted speakers. The only solution is to eliminate the speakers altogether. I can then invest in great ear buds ($100 to $200) instead of amps and speakers for thousands. Of course, my solution is not for everyone, especially if you like to pull up at lights and show off your system. But if fidelity is what you are really after, there is no other choice.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypurr
Truly good bass can never be achieved with small speakers
All I can say here is dont tell BOSE, their 901's have been legendary since the 70's, I made duplicates because I couldn''t afford those units but they were the top rung in music, not sure if this is still true but to me, good things do come in small packages.

Install what you want and listed how you want, all else is BS.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
All I can say here is dont tell BOSE, their 901's have been legendary since the 70's, I made duplicates because I couldn''t afford those units but they were the top rung in music, not sure if this is still true but to me, good things do come in small packages.

Install what you want and listed how you want, all else is BS.

you are completely missing his point...
first of all the Bose that you speak of are sealed in an enclosure,
they are listened to in your living room, not flying down the freeway @ 80mph.
lastly your comparing highly equalized 8 ohm loud speakers to $99 coaxial car speakers not really apples to apples.

Every thing that the new guy said is valid!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypurr
I don't normally pipe up in forums, but motorcycles and music are my hobbies so this thread drew me in. I read all of the posts and besides everyone trying to one-up each other, there was some good information. Music and the way it sounds are very subjective and a lot has to do with the type of music you are listening to. One thing is certain, I have never heard a sound system on a bike that can even come close to the balanced sound of a good audio system. I have thousands invested in audio equipment at home and in my truck and I don't care how many amps or speakers you put on a bike, it doesn't even come close to the fidelity of a true audio system. Here are some points I'd like to inject:

Truly good bass can never be achieved with small speakers, especially when they don't have a tuned cabinet to reside in. The fairing is open and you will get phase distortion that cancels bass from the back of the speakers. There was a bike at Daytona that had 2 8" sub boxes in the saddle bags and it had good bass, but that is an exception.

On a bike you are competing with road, wind and engine noise. Pumping more power doesn't eliminate this noise, so even if you are pushing your system to it's limits, that noise is still there. My hearing is important to me and I don't care to go deaf just trying to hear mediocre sound at 80mph. I'm also not worried about trying to impress other bikers at bike night with my sound system, I just want good sound.

This leads up to the only true solution if you truly care about fidelity and not just showing off. I made a headset that incorporates high end ear buds into my helmet. This serves two purposes, it cuts out much of the wind and road noise and injects the sound straight into my ears. This way I can turn the volume down and still hear the music clearly and crank it up without going deaf. Also, when I'm not listening to anything the ear buds act as ear plugs to protect my hearing. Even low passages can be heard clearly this way.

The source input is important, too. Trying to stream Pandora while going down the road will result in crappy sound since it will be 128k at best and while moving more like 64k. Also, all "I" devices have notoriously bad DACs and this introduces distortion. I use an good MP3 player connected to the aux. input with a RS cable (don't waste your money on Monster cable, you can't hear the difference on a bike) with 320k MP3 files. And all radio, whether FM or XM is compressed almost to the point of being unlistenable to me.

The one thing I have learned from this thread is there are no good solutions to the crappy sound from fairing mounted speakers. The only solution is to eliminate the speakers altogether. I can then invest in great ear buds ($100 to $200) instead of amps and speakers for thousands. Of course, my solution is not for everyone, especially if you like to pull up at lights and show off your system. But if fidelity is what you are really after, there is no other choice.
I'd agree with what you say about high fidelity. I'm not a big earbud guy on a bike, just my preference. I do like listening through my speakers but I know there are diminishing returns due to environmental noise so I spend just enough to be enjoyable to me. I've got $275 in an amp, $100 in speakers, $25 in adapter rings and $10 in dynamat. The sound is good to me. Somebody else may not like it. I'm not going to win any parking lot contests. But AC/DC sounded good to me at 70 coming in to work this morning. Also plus one on real bass without a sub, it aint happening.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Bose is legendary only in the mainstream public's minds. Talk to anyone who is serious about music reproduction and they will laugh at the mention of the "B" word.

Shakey

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with most of what the new guy said. High Fidelity ain't gonna happen on a bike at 70+ mph. I too am not a fan of earbuds, so I think my modest (~1600.00) system does a pretty good job of conveying the music at speed. It is far better than the stock system and is good enough for me when I'm on the road.

Shakey

Quick Reply: Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?