Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
I'm crying from the laughter of how "serious you are about audio"!

Running your Kenwood headunit and speakers without an amp ain't that serious buddy!

Let us know how it sounds!

Just curious how much power you think a set of speakers that are essentially 6x9's need? Especially when the kenwood is pushing almost double the power of a stock HK radio? I have a 250 watt jm amp that pushes what? 60 watts rms per channel?

By serious I didn't mean who can put a bunch of watts in to a set of speakers, I meant serious like running speakers correctly, I have a feeling I'm going to get better sound from my stereo after I pull the amp, but if I don't, I'll hook the amp up? I guess that's hilarious?

Cool!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I got some of the J & M stuff I'll sell ya pretty cheap if I can find it.
Pm if interested Kyle.
Thanks dude, but I'm sitting on an amp and 4 rokkers that I'm trying to get to sound better than crap right now.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TIF2
The Biketronics "Titan II" are the Hybrid Audio "Imagine" line - not the "Mirus". The "Imagine" is a step up from the "Mirus" and thus the price of ~$250 per pair (with 6.5" adapters) from Biketronics.

I think HAT speakers sound fantastic ... easily comparable market line-by-line to Focal, Morel, Dynaudio. Generally a better price point at any given stage than the other brands.

I have a set of HAT Legatia SE woofers and Pro-2-SE tweets in the fairing and damn do they sound good. Have a set of HAT Clarus in the lowers (fed with full-range audio, no x-overs, no tweets).

HAT is definitely a player among the best of the brands and you would do well to audition them.
I didn't realize the Titan II's had the removeable tweeter.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 AM
TIF2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uscanuck
I didn't realize the Titan II's had the removeable tweeter.
I'm not sure either ... but in speaking with HAT and Biketronics the Titan IIs are using Imagine series components.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I spent the money on a J&M system for my 2010 FLHX last summer. Had those speakers in two weeks, took them out and sold them. Got the Harley Boom speakers and liked them much better, mainly the bass improvement. Go figure

Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I spent the money on a J&M system for my 2010 FLHX last summer. Had those speakers in two weeks, took them out and sold them. Got the Harley Boom speakers and liked them much better, mainly the bass improvement. Go figure
This makes sense, the size of the magnet on the woofer is extremely small.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Just curious how much power you think a set of speakers that are essentially 6x9's need? Especially when the kenwood is pushing almost double the power of a stock HK radio? I have a 250 watt jm amp that pushes what? 60 watts rms per channel?

By serious I didn't mean who can put a bunch of watts in to a set of speakers, I meant serious like running speakers correctly, I have a feeling I'm going to get better sound from my stereo after I pull the amp, but if I don't, I'll hook the amp up? I guess that's hilarious?

Cool!
Have you ever here the saying, there is no replacement for displacement.
The same ideals apply in custom stereo systems, having more power in a stereo is like having an 8 cylinder car versus a 4 cylinder .

The 4 cylinder car may perform very well, and have a high level of output.

but it's running on the ragged edge, and wearing out the components more quickly.( distortion destroys speakers, not clean power)

Vs the 8 cylinder which is able to give you the same or greater level of performance, while still having more power in reserve without putting undue stress on the components.

In other words the 4 banger is on the extreme edge of it's performance capability, and the V8 humming along in cruse control.

What I am trying to say is that having ample power is good, it gives you dynamic headroom.

More power = less distortion for a given volume level.

It dosen't mean that you have to turn it up to ridiculous sound levels.

I will be running 70 watts rms into speakers with sensitivity >90db @ 1meter, which should be enough to allow me to here my music @ freeway speeds. without large amounts of distortion.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
I spent a good chuck of money on J&M rokkers & amp recently, finally got it installed and it is probably the worst sounding stereo I have ever heard.

Don't get me wrong, it is loud, but it sounds like I'm listening to it underwater or something, very flat and muffled sounding. Everything is set up correctly, settings are correct. Just sounds like butt.

So any serious audio guys found a good two speaker solution for good sounds on their bike?

If you're running something like jenson, or Rockford fostgate, no offense but this thread isn't for you.

Anyone found any speaker / amp solutions with serious sound manufacturers? I'm pretty sure I'm going with a kenwood slide our DVD player at this point, I'm looking for information on bikes that have alpine, kenwood, jl or other legit manufacterers that are serious about sound.

Also: could it possibly be the head unit making my J&M system sound so much like garbage? The quality of the J&M product seems nice, no idea why it sounds wal Marty.

Do I honestly have
Playing anything through the HK head unit on the aux input sounds like garbage. Put in a CD or a CD with MP3's and it will sound much better.

I ditched the HK head unit and used an Alpine CDA105, along with the J&M amp and some Polk Audio speakers (not that they're great, but they're 2.7 ohm). I also tried some MB Quart 6.5's, some Hertz speakers and some Alpine speakers.

Best sound was probably with the MB Quart, but they don't have much bass. We experimented and put by 4 6"x9" Pioneer 5-ways in the bags with an Alpine PDX F6 four channel 150 watt amp in my buddy's bike. Loud and clear, good mid-bass.

I'm looking for a good deal on some used bags so I can experiment with installing some Loud Lids with a pair of 10" subs in the bags (need to glass the bag to make a solid enclosure).

Find a way to get a good signal to your J&M stuff and it will sound good.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM
LeeH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motor City Street Glide
Have you ever here the saying, there is no replacement for displacement...
What MCSG said...

I have an Alpine CDA 9886M head unit (Marine), Alpine PDX-4.100M amplifier, a pair of Polk 6.5" speakers in the lower fairings, Polk 6" in the upper fairing and a hog tunes tweeter add on box on the upper fairing as well. Also a pair of Polk 6X9" speakers in the saddlebags. Probably about $1000 in hardware. Can't beat the sound though, and the USB port and IPod hookups are a must, lol.

Crisp sound, good bass response even for not having subs, and I can hear it at my 80 MPH cruising speed without having to crank up the volume more than 40%. When I do crank it up, it turns heads, lol.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Playing anything through the HK head unit on the aux input sounds like garbage. Put in a CD or a CD with MP3's and it will sound much better.
Not on my bike. The FM radio or CD doesn't come close to how loud or clear running my Ipod with the aux input does.

Quick Reply: Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?