Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
"Sony xplodes or Jenson systems are no good" says the guy who thinks that ripping out the fairing foam is going to make his system sound good.

I have a Sony system with RF Amp and speakers so I'm sorry to crash your thread but you must not have a clue. It's not personal just funny when you knock others and your own stuff sounds wack!!!

I agree,Rockford makes some really nice stuff. If you have ever heard Yaffes mobile party bike with trailer,you would agree too.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
precision4808
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got finished putting the JL Audio C3's and a JL Audio Amp up front, and put the new CVO Speaker lids and Boom speakers in the back. I thought the rear sounded AWESOME, until I hooked the fronts up to the amp. HOLY HELL, I can't even hear the rear at all now! Kind of wish I'd have just stuck with the fronts.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Here's what I ended up doing, I bought a kenwood execleon DVD/Nav unit, 7 inch slide out screen, I'm going to ditch the jm amp and run the head unit (pushing 50x4) along with a biketronic retro radio kit for hand controls, and all the install equipment. Should sound pretty stellar, talked to a few custom bike radio guys.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Originally Posted by pauly3
"Sony xplodes or Jenson systems are no good" says the guy who thinks that ripping out the fairing foam is going to make his system sound good.

I have a Sony system with RF Amp and speakers so I'm sorry to crash your thread but you must not have a clue. It's not personal just funny when you knock others and your own stuff sounds wack!!!
I didn't mean to make you cry bud, relax

Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
I didn't mean to make you cry bud, relax
I'm crying from the laughter of how "serious you are about audio"!

Running your Kenwood headunit and speakers without an amp ain't that serious buddy!

Let us know how it sounds!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JL is pretty serious in cars, don't know why the quality would change in bikes, I was just making the point that dudes might come on the thread talking about their Sony xplodes or jenson systems, and that's no good.

I've gotten some good ideas so far, I'm going to start with getting rid of the foam and going from there, if that's all it is, I'm going to have to make an apology, if not, I'm going to check out a few different speakers from this thread.

I wonder why dealerships don't devote floor space to after market stereos

That foam is some pretty crappy stuff but getting rid of it won't necessarily fix your problem. Just remove the upper part that is behind the speakers and see how it sounds. You might have other problems or maybe your setup just does not sound good to your ears. Sound is subjective, what sounds good to me might sound bad to you, but I would start with removing some foam, maybe replace it with some better stuff.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,821 Likes on 22,507 Posts

I got some of the J & M stuff I'll sell ya pretty cheap if I can find it.
Pm if interested Kyle.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
TIF2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uscanuck
Replace the Rokker speakers with a pair of Hybrid Audio Mirus 6.5 speakers. Full list on these is like $150 but you can get them for less at your local shop. These are the same as Biketronics Titan II's and sound very good.
The Biketronics "Titan II" are the Hybrid Audio "Imagine" line - not the "Mirus". The "Imagine" is a step up from the "Mirus" and thus the price of ~$250 per pair (with 6.5" adapters) from Biketronics.

I think HAT speakers sound fantastic ... easily comparable market line-by-line to Focal, Morel, Dynaudio. Generally a better price point at any given stage than the other brands.

I have a set of HAT Legatia SE woofers and Pro-2-SE tweets in the fairing and damn do they sound good. Have a set of HAT Clarus in the lowers (fed with full-range audio, no x-overs, no tweets).

HAT is definitely a player among the best of the brands and you would do well to audition them.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I ended up doing, I bought a kenwood execleon DVD/Nav unit, 7 inch slide out screen, I'm going to ditch the jm amp and run the head unit (pushing 50x4) along with a biketronic retro radio kit for hand controls, and all the install equipment. Should sound pretty stellar, talked to a few custom bike radio guys.
pushing 50x4 is not rms. it should be around 17x4 rms coming from that head unit. at least you don't have to worry about blowing your speakers. or hearing them.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
The padding is horrible stuff, no clarity, it just makes the music sound muffled, very muffled. You need something like second skin, not the J&M crap. Just take out the part right behind the speakers and check out the difference. Very noticeable. When I had the J&M setup the first thing I did was rip that padding out, I could not stand the muffled sound.
I do not agree. I have the J&M 7.25 speakers in my Road Glide. I also installed the sound pads. The sound was vastly improved.
I don't have any kind of amp on my stock HK radio. I listen to my SIRIUS radio most of the time.
When I had the stock speakers, I could not hear the radio going down the road at 70 MPH.
When I installed the J&M speakers, I could hear the music, but the sound lacked the bass response and most sound was sent out off the front of the fairing.
I then installed the J&M sound pads. The result was the sound had the rich sound it should have had. The bass response returned and was directed toward me when seated on the bike. You had to listen hard to hear the music clearly from the front of the bike.

That is why I think the sound pad is a must for the fairing speakers. And I don't need an amp. I am not interested in trying to drown out the car next to me with his windows up.

Quick Reply: Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?