Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
So JL is a good system? I feel better, then! I'm doing 6 speakers this spring (fairing, lowers, rear pods) with an amp in the tourpak, and the guy talked me into doing JL all the way around. Said I won't be disappointed.
JL is pretty serious in cars, don't know why the quality would change in bikes, I was just making the point that dudes might come on the thread talking about their Sony xplodes or jenson systems, and that's no good.

I've gotten some good ideas so far, I'm going to start with getting rid of the foam and going from there, if that's all it is, I'm going to have to make an apology, if not, I'm going to check out a few different speakers from this thread.

I wonder why dealerships don't devote floor space to after market stereos

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
JL is pretty serious in cars, don't know why the quality would change in bikes, I was just making the point that dudes might come on the thread talking about their Sony xplodes or jenson systems, and that's no good.

I've gotten some good ideas so far, I'm going to start with getting rid of the foam and going from there, if that's all it is, I'm going to have to make an apology, if not, I'm going to check out a few different speakers from this thread.

No worries. I knew exactly what you meant. I started out with Hogtunes a few years ago & it didn't take long to realize that I could do a whole lot better! I have the Biketronics Hertz 6.5" in right now, but I'm taking the installers advice & doing all JL, all the way around. Have the ARC 125.2 mini amp also, along with the Hertz. I like it.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll be watching what you do as I have pretty much the same set-up and your local so I can check it out first hand.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

I am installing a set of alpine spr60c 6.5" component speakers driven by the new Rockford fosgate pbr300x2 amp. The head unit is going to be a hidden kicker pxi50.2 iPod input. I am using it since I have an flhtp with no radio. Complete audio solution for under $600...the same price some are asking for a used Harley Harmon kardon deck!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're gonna throw something away,.............start with the head unit.

I run Boston Acoustic PRO SE 60's in the fairing. They are a 6 3/4" component speaker, and are kinda expensive,......but sound good

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 03-01-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
So JL is a good system? I feel better, then! I'm doing 6 speakers this spring (fairing, lowers, rear pods) with an amp in the tourpak, and the guy talked me into doing JL all the way around. Said I won't be disappointed.
I've been doing stereos in most of my cars, trucks, etc for 20 years and in my opinon JL amps are some of the best on the market. I have one in my Mustang 900 watt 5 channel running my entire system Which is a 3 way set of Focal components (6speakers), 5X7 Focal plates, and a 10W7 sub... it sounds amazing and the JL amp that runs the entire thing is no bigger than a Ipad! They are very efficeint amps! In about 4 weeks I will be doing my bike with a JL amp and Focal speaker set up as well! Cant wait!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Sony xplodes or Jenson systems are no good" says the guy who thinks that ripping out the fairing foam is going to make his system sound good.

I have a Sony system with RF Amp and speakers so I'm sorry to crash your thread but you must not have a clue. It's not personal just funny when you knock others and your own stuff sounds wack!!!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauly3
"Sony xplodes or Jenson systems are no good" says the guy who thinks that ripping out the fairing foam is going to make his system sound good.

I have a Sony system with RF Amp and speakers so I'm sorry to crash your thread but you must not have a clue. It's not personal just funny when you knock others and your own stuff sounds wack!!!
I couldn't agree more, you don't see us with our Rockford speakers removing them like your sweet J&Ms, go ahead and spend a $300 set of speakers and let them get rained on. I will stick with the Fasgates and my Hawg wired amps. That way if the weather get to them I won't have to save to buy more. But I ride my bike. not sure what you plan on doing with yours.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
I've been doing stereos in most of my cars, trucks, etc for 20 years and in my opinon JL amps are some of the best on the market. I have one in my Mustang 900 watt 5 channel running my entire system Which is a 3 way set of Focal components (6speakers), 5X7 Focal plates, and a 10W7 sub... it sounds amazing and the JL amp that runs the entire thing is no bigger than a Ipad! They are very efficeint amps! In about 4 weeks I will be doing my bike with a JL amp and Focal speaker set up as well! Cant wait!
gonna cosign on the awesomeness of the JL audio line of products, expensive?

slightly,but as far as "value" per dollar spent you will be hard pressed to find better without spending twice as much $.

I run a 600HD (150 x4) and a 750HD (750 x1) in my car with a 12" JL W1 subwoofer. and 2 pair of Boston Acoustic Pro series components.

killer sound quality, massive SPL, fantastic value!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Regarding JL amps: if I remember correctly, JL amps use what they call R.I.P.S. " regulated intelligent power supply", at any impedance (2, 4, 6, 8 etc ohms), the output power is essentially the same. Which also means regardless of battery/charging system, the amps "eat first", putting tremendous power drain on the charging system.

Don't get me wrong, I have worked with JL amps/speakers/subs in car audio, and always have great results. But in car audio, we can add higher output alternator, power stiffening caps, even 2nd battery, if needed. None of which we can add on a bike. Now granted, we're not putting 500+ watts sub amp in our ride. But the whole idea of their R.I.P.S. system make me hesitate....

Quick Reply: Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?