Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
HemiGlide69
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Did you put the J&M padding in your fairing? If you did, rip it out.
Could you explain?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Did you put the J&M padding in your fairing? If you did, rip it out.

Just curious as to why you would suggest this?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the hawg wired six pack and couldn't be happier.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiGlide69
Could you explain?
Originally Posted by jjkrueg
Just curious as to why you would suggest this?

The padding is horrible stuff, no clarity, it just makes the music sound muffled, very muffled. You need something like second skin, not the J&M crap. Just take out the part right behind the speakers and check out the difference. Very noticeable. When I had the J&M setup the first thing I did was rip that padding out, I could not stand the muffled sound.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I run Dynomat extreme with xblocks directly behind the speakers.. You can notice the difference in bass response when sitting parked / low speed, but going down the road you cannot tell....

If you still have the J&M amp there is no reason to toss it, it's a good amp... I'd probably buy a set of the Arc Audio Moto series speakers to start and see what you think. You can get 'em for $250 or less easily if you shop around.

They are designed for the motorcycle, their cone is protected from water / moisture / debris... Their bass response is improved for the motorcycle fairing. I have heard good things about them. I don't own them yet, but will be installing them with the Fat Baggers iPad fairing in a few months.

Two sets, one in the fairing, one in the lowers.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
I spent a good chuck of money on J&M rokkers & amp recently, finally got it installed and it is probably the worst sounding stereo I have ever heard.

Don't get me wrong, it is loud, but it sounds like I'm listening to it underwater or something, very flat and muffled sounding. Everything is set up correctly, settings are correct. Just sounds like butt.

So any serious audio guys found a good two speaker solution for good sounds on their bike?

If you're running something like jenson, or Rockford fostgate, no offense but this thread isn't for you.

Anyone found any speaker / amp solutions with serious sound manufacturers? I'm pretty sure I'm going with a kenwood slide our DVD player at this point, I'm looking for information on bikes that have alpine, kenwood, jl or other legit manufacterers that are serious about sound.

Also: could it possibly be the head unit making my J&M system sound so much like garbage? The quality of the J&M product seems nice, no idea why it sounds wal Marty.

Do I honestly have
So JL is a good system? I feel better, then! I'm doing 6 speakers this spring (fairing, lowers, rear pods) with an amp in the tourpak, and the guy talked me into doing JL all the way around. Said I won't be disappointed.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

go listen to a set of Hertz speakers and mind u these are not cars and the sound you get wont sound like the cabin of a car if your willing to sacrifice bag space there are many options with amps and speakers I used a 6x9s in the bags on a road king with 500 watt 4 channel amps and 6.5s in the front Head units that i have used range from sony Kenwood and alpine then even tried a sub woofer but found that when running the bass out of the pipes canceled the bass from a 10 inch sub anyway good luck with what you finally decide on after all the advice given on the site its your ears that you have to please

Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
djack
Road Master

mmmm i`m happy with my j&m 250 watt and rokkers, i think it sounds good and it damn sure can be loud lol

Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Replace the Rokker speakers with a pair of Hybrid Audio Mirus 6.5 speakers.
Full list on these is like $150 but you can get them for less at your local shop.
These are the same as Biketronics Titan II's and sound very good.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to upgrade from the stock head unit, hog tunes speakers,and have been talking to a vendor at another site... he has recommendations similar to the products Drangonfly uses...
- Arc audio 125.2 or .4 amps.
- Focal has a series of 6.5" speakers out that are supposed to be their low end series, but most reviews say they are better than most other companies hi-end stuff. They are called their ACCESS series...

Only recommendation the vendor made to me that I know nothing about is Medallion. They have a new head unit out, pricey, but waterproof, hi-watt'd and slim lined so that the amp can remain with the fairing and not go in the bag. Medallions reputation is for hi quality gauges for baggers, so I hope the new bagger stereos are built the same way. Hooking up with the company in MB and having it installed... I cant wait!

Quick Reply: Anyone serious about audio? Not happy AT ALL with j&m, what do I do?