Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Fairing Dash Pad Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Harley Fairing Dash Pad Help

I purchased a used Harley fairing dash pad instead of a new one because I knew I was going to modify it. Well, I sent it out and paid to have it modified and when it came back and I went to install it, I discoverd that the screw hole in one of the blind nuts that hold it on to the inner fairing is stripped half way in. No....I did not strip it. It was already stripped apparently which is proably why I got it pretty cheap ... What would you guys use to repair this? I tried cleaning the first half of the threads with a tap to no avail. If I take the washer off I can get the short bolt to grab a little less than 1/4 of the deepest threads but I think it will ultimately just vibrate and pull loose, even with loctite on the bolt. The hole is too small for a heli coil and the nut is only being held in as you know, by the plastic backing of the pad. Suggestions? If I hadn't spent so much money modifying it, I'd toss it and start over.

Last edited by Rickr01; 03-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
rk62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without seeing the part I can suggest JB Weld and drill and tap again or epoxy a T-nut in it's place . If you post a picture somebody will have a good idea.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's see a picture...hard to say without seeing it!

Steve

Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Baxter's Bagger
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Time Sert thread repair system.
http://www.timesert.com/

Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

I can take a picture but all you will see is the back side of the Fairing pad and two blind nuts? On the JB weld comment, do you just fill the nut with JB let it dry and retap? Will JB bond to a brass nut?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,916 Likes on 19,368 Posts

I know that you can buy a repair/replacement kit for the mounts that hold the outer fairing to the inner fairing .... if the mount on your dash pad is like the ones that are used on the inner fairing I believe that you can get them at the HD Shop. I think the part number is 16585-96 ... Check it out and see if this is what will help you. Good Luck Brother.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I know that you can buy a repair/replacement kit for the mounts that hold the outer fairing to the inner fairing .... if the mount on your dash pad is like the ones that are used on the inner fairing I believe that you can get them at the HD Shop. I think the part number is 16585-96 ... Check it out and see if this is what will help you. Good Luck Brother.
Thanks alot. I was contemplating that as well. I am worried about trying to remove the existing nut from the pad however. Not nearly as much material as in the fairing itself.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Hmmm, I'm thinking that since this is only torqued to 25 inch pounds filling the hole with JB Weld might be just the ticket? Or rather than opening a can of worms, maybe its just better to leave it as it is and see if it does ultimately vibrate apart or if the last 1/4 of the short threaded hole holds it together along with the loctite. I tugged on the pad pretty good and it didn't budge. I'd just hate to button it all up just to have to pull the outer fairing again on some road trip? Decisions decisions? Thats what Vermont winter boredom does to a soul!!

Last edited by Rickr01; 03-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I understand what you are saying but some of us do not know what the thing even looks like if we had a picture we might have an Idea. I don't know where the blind nut is or what the pad even looks like. A Picture would be some help.

thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

The bike is at home and I am at work. I also do not have access to high speed Internet at home...Yeah, in this day and age! Too rural. Maybe this will help a little?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03804.pdf

Originally Posted by imskier2
I understand what you are saying but some of us do not know what the thing even looks like if we had a picture we might have an Idea. I don't know where the blind nut is or what the pad even looks like. A Picture would be some help.

thanks

Quick Reply: Harley Fairing Dash Pad Help