Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Fairing Dash Pad Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get the whole thing out, replace it with something like a rivnut.

Got a metric set I picked up in Australia back in 2004, picked up a US standard kit from Northern Tools for less than $20 about a year ago. I've actually used them more often than I would have originally thought. You'd be surprised how many times a blind nut comes in handy!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You have lots of options.

1.) Try a longer bolts with Lock-tite.
2.) Using the stripped hole with the threads as your centre pilot hole, carefully drill out the brass insert. HD makes a 1/4" brass insert for the inner fairing. The bolt is inside the fairing so you can use a bigger or smaller one to suit as no one will see it anyways.
3.) Once the brass insert is out you can also use the "rivnut" that is already drilled and tapped. Just use the bolt that fits the size you install.

I have attached a picture of the insert HD supplies for replacement on the inner fairing. I think they cost a buck or two. I think the outside thread is 3/8" X 16 & the inside thread size is 1/4 X 20. HD uses the insert to tap it's own threads into the plastic but I think it is best to thread the plastic first with a tap and then screw in the insert.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Fairing Dash Pad Help-fairing-brass-insert.jpg  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks Folks! I was going to leave it as is, threaded with 1/4 of the threads locked in firmly in the one stripped hole. However, I'm just not one that can stand to have anything half assed. I'd always be thinking...When is it going to let go?....I'm going to pick up one of these inserts and replace it. Thanks Again.

Originally Posted by Nute
You have lots of options.

1.) Try a longer bolts with Lock-tite.
2.) Using the stripped hole with the threads as your centre pilot hole, carefully drill out the brass insert. HD makes a 1/4" brass insert for the inner fairing. The bolt is inside the fairing so you can use a bigger or smaller one to suit as no one will see it anyways.
3.) Once the brass insert is out you can also use the "rivnut" that is already drilled and tapped. Just use the bolt that fits the size you install.

I have attached a picture of the insert HD supplies for replacement on the inner fairing. I think they cost a buck or two. I think the outside thread is 3/8" X 16 & the inside thread size is 1/4 X 20. HD uses the insert to tap it's own threads into the plastic but I think it is best to thread the plastic first with a tap and then screw in the insert.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something better than JB weld and less mess that works great and is reveresable is called Kwick Steel...its available at ace hardware and works great......solved many problems similar to yours.....less mess and sets in 3 minutes cures completely in 2 hours. Other than that the dealer is the other option.