Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OHLINS #2's vs #3's

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OHLINS #2's vs #3's

Talked with Howard for a short short time yesterday. After he asked his questions, he recomended the 2-2 or the 3-3. I would love to get the "Ultimate" ride with the 6's, but they are not in my (wifes) financial plans. What my question is for people that have rode on the 2's AND 3's. I understand how they are bulit different, but what about the "ride" difference? Is it that noticable? Almost ready to call Howard and pull the trigger, just with the money that I will be spending I want what is correct for me.

2007 SG, Cordin dualtour seat
I ride 70% solo 30% 2-up
Mostly on Mid-Ohio shitty roads
May start taking the long extended weekend trips, after my wife's butt can handle it with the new shocks. I don't have a tourpak. so everything packed and loaded would be in the bags, or on aftermarket luggage strapped to the sissy bar.

Please let me know your thoughts as I really want to improve my ride before I get the FuelMoto 107" BB kit. Maybe Jamie and Howard should do a package deal!!!!!
Where else can you get a "NEW" old bike for under $3000.00?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Similar question was posted recently and Howard explained the difference in great detail. If the 3s are within your budget then get the 3s.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I just got the 3-3's and love them. I have been talking to Howard about a recommendation for my wife's 2010 Street Glide. She has issues with flat footing the bike so we have a lowering blocks on the rear with stock shocks. Howard recommended Or rather insisted, that I remove the lowering blocks immediately. I assume for her bike she would be better off with the 2-2's because they are shorter and with her sitting on the bike would be closer to stock.

I would say if you want the Street glide to be stock height go with the 2-2's if height is not a concern you can't beat the 3-3's. My wife is not a hot-rodder so I doubt she will be able to tell a difference in the ride of a 2-2 vs a 3-3. I would definetly digress and go with whatever Howard recommends he is the shock wizard.

I am going to have to talk to Howard a little more before I decide on the 2-2's or the 3-3's for her bike.

Last edited by Sailrider 1; 02-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser

I spent all night and most of the morning reading through the posts and his website. But from what I get is everyone is happy with what they have. I was looking for people who have road on both the 2's vs 3's. I mean I'm sure Howard has...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the 2s and am quite happy, shorter with more travel, Howard has to valve the 2s to your preference, the the 3s you can adjust yourself, but are about an inch taller, with slightly less stroke...Dont forget to do the front as well, the back, is only 1/2 the bike...I recommend intiminators, modded, with racetech single rate springs......

Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

I have the 2-2a's which is a newer version. It's a Ohlin 12 1/8" shock but has a longer shock stroke, 3 1/4" as compared to the 2-2 which is about 1/2" less shock stroke. I've not ridden a bike with the 3's so I can't give you a comparison. I am quite satisfied with the 2-2a and if you are going to go with a #2 and want to keep the original height then go with the 2-2a.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Default #2's vs #3's

I'd go with Howard's recommendation's and let your budget be your guide. 275 more for the #3 shocks, either you want to spend the extra money or you don't. If I had the extra 275 at the time I would have gotten the #3's, I didn't. I got the #2's. I'm happy but I wish I would have had more money to spend , that's different than wishing I would have gotten the #3"s.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordyan
I spent all night and most of the morning reading through the posts and his website. But from what I get is everyone is happy with what they have. I was looking for people who have road on both the 2's vs 3's. I mean I'm sure Howard has...
It is most unlikely you will find anyone with both. If you ride two up, get the #3-3s and here is why.

My wife and I like to travel in Europe and have done several trips over 2,500+ miles on the same bike. With our #3-3s we have NEVER bottomed out, despite hitting hidden railway crossings and back street potholes. The ride is smoother and more comfortable, we can ride further in a day than before and when we get back home we don't feel as if we need a vacation to recover. In fact we are now planning a five week trip of around 6,000 miles, to Turkey from our home in the UK. All we need is a set of Howard's new front forks.....

So that's it then, buy the #3-3s!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
It is most unlikely you will find anyone with both. If you ride two up, get the #3-3s and here is why.

My wife and I like to travel in Europe and have done several trips over 2,500+ miles on the same bike. With our #3-3s we have NEVER bottomed out, despite hitting hidden railway crossings and back street potholes. The ride is smoother and more comfortable, we can ride further in a day than before and when we get back home we don't feel as if we need a vacation to recover. In fact we are now planning a five week trip of around 6,000 miles, to Turkey from our home in the UK. All we need is a set of Howard's new front forks.....

So that's it then, buy the #3-3s!
Sounds like a sweet trip! Allright, I know that I don't want the 6's way out of my price range. Howard said you are buying these for life. So, I will spring for the 3's. Thanks guys for the input!

Quick Reply: OHLINS #2's vs #3's