Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei "Neotec" Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
CantonLimited
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently am wearing a Neotec with a Sena SMH10. I also have an HJC Symax III. The Shoei has much more space for the boom mic and has incredible venting. At 50 degrees outside I can only run the chimney vent at half because my noggin gets cold! Its also very quiet and has the pin lock windshield with the pin lock insert. Those are the only two modulars I have ridden with and the Shoei is very comfortable now.. it was kind of snug when brand new, but after a few rides it feels perfect!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 AM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Just received my Neotech last night, and all i can say is WOW, and I haven't even wore it outside the house yet, great Shoei quality and the Pinlock shield really works, can't wait till the rain clears to road test this baby.... so to answer my own question, yes I think its worth the extra coin...

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Finally got out for a bit of a ride with my new Shoei Neotec modular helmet. Here is my so-called "review".

First, let me state that in general I do not like wearing any type of helmet. Have a half shell novelty and an older 3/4 Shoei mushroom. Due to nagging concerns of safety I decided to try a modular fullface helmet.

The Neotec is a well made helmet. For $684 retail you expect it to be. It has a lot of nice features that sets it apart from a lot of the other competitive helmets.

Its everything I expected it to be and everything I hate about a helmet.

I wear an XL. This baby fit my pumpkin very snugly. In fact I ordered a set of replacement cheek pads for a looser fit but even now its still snug. Thats good I think. The modular chin bar works really well and I like the built in sunscreen with its easy to find "flip up, flip down" lever on the left side of the helmet. The clear windscreen also works well with several detents where you can partially open the screen. Have yet to use the Pin-Lock visor screen. The interior of the helmet is very well padded and all is removeable for cleaning. Built in ear pads are removeable for adding a communications speakers. I have ordered the new UClear units and am waiting for them to arrive.

The ventilation system seems adequate. It was in the low 70s here and I was getting warm standing with the helmet on my head. Moving on the bike, I popped up the visor just a crack and felt plenty comfortable. At speed I lost almost all of my radio with the stock speakers on the StreetGlide fairing. The helmet just about muffled all the radio sound. Cracking the visor however would allow me to hear adequately.

Completely closed up the helmet seems a bit noisey to me. It must be wind noise coming thru the vents but I am not sure. Coming from a completely "open" environment to a completely closed up environment I am going to have to adjust my "hearing" on the bike. I seem to no longer have a direct contact with my bike engine sounds which is somewhat unnerving to me. I have always "listened" to my bikes for cues for performance and safety. This is no longer available while wearing the helmet.

I like the modular feature of the helmet for ease of removing and putting on the helmet. My ears arent getting torn off and thats nice. The weight of the helmet hasnt seemed to be a factor but I havent really ridden with it for any significant length of time, so verdict still out on that. Visibility and peripheral vision do not seem to be negatively impacted. The opening of the helmet is one of the widest available right now. I did not find my view being restricted in any way.

All in all I am very pleased with the Shoei Neotec. Should you buy one? That's up to you. There are many others out there to choose from. I liked this one.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
screenmails
Stage I

Originally Posted by hoethree
Not to hijack this thread but along a complimentary line I will ask for opinions on using the Scala Rider (or Sena) intercoms with these modulars and full-face helmets. My main concern is whether to go with the "boom" mic or the "corded" mic. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking the boom might be a bit of a squeeze in that chin bar area wheras the corded would not.

thanks!
Nolan N104 is good since it's already designed with comm in mind. It already have cutouts for comm that you can use. Check what this guy did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjNsUzxuII he use a third party comm (Scala G4) instead of the expensive Nolan N-Comm B4. The mount is nice and clean.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
GregX999
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Neotec when I got my new Street Glide. I come from riding sport-touring and adv-touring bikes, so I've had many full-face helmets, but this is my first modular. I really like it. I don't find it any louder than a "normal" full-face, and this is the first modular I've tried that actually has some room behind the chin bar (other modulars are so close to my mouth/chin). The venting works really well - my Wind Vest windscreen directs clean air right into the top vent. I also like how the entire interior is removable and washable, and there looks to be plenty of room if I decide to install an comm system.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a 2x - Schuberth C3 - I weight it on a digital scale & it weighed 4.0. - the 1x and smaller are lighter around 3.8pounds but the 2x & 3X are larger helmets - $699.00 - if you want to try one on most BMW dealers stock them -
I have been using mine all winter & it really is a nice helmet. - tom
PS - The C3 is also very quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
GBCS
Stage II

I have just bought a Neotec, to go with my 2012 EG Ultra Limited. The problem I am experiencing is that the speakers that come with the standard intercom don't fit into the moulded "cups" in the helmet.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to solve it.

I am thinking about getting a Sena SMH10, has anyone fitted one to the Neotech ?, how did the speakers fit the helmet ?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GBCS

I am thinking about getting a Sena SMH10, has anyone fitted one to the Neotech ?, how did the speakers fit the helmet ?

Thanks
They fit fine.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM
phlsat
Stage I

Originally Posted by GBCS
I have just bought a Neotec, to go with my 2012 EG Ultra Limited. The problem I am experiencing is that the speakers that come with the standard intercom don't fit into the moulded "cups" in the helmet.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to solve it.

Thanks
Sorry to hear your problem. Have you found a solution yet? I was just trying to figure out how the standard HD Com set would work with the Neotec and I saw your post that the speakers don't fit in the helmet. This is a problem I had not anticipated. I have researched helmets and decided on the Neotec but I have been searching the forums to find out if the HD com set works with it. I really like the Neotec, but I can't justify spending all that cash if the HD stock set won't interface with it. I also have a Zumo Road Tech that expected to link into it as well. Any new news?