Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei "Neotec" Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Bobby9621
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride with the chin bar down, but if I go into a bank, you should have it up, plus on hot days while at the gas station, just flip it up. Modulars are excellent for people who have glasses and are much safer then they were years ago.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
PMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by blusmbl
I've wanted a flip-up helmet for awhile now, but from what I understand it's really not practical to ride with the chin bar up. Is that the case? Do those of you that have one always ride with the chin bar down?

On hot days I've put in a lot of miles with the chinbar up. Not ideal from a protection standpoint but totally doable.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM
PMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
In regards to helmet weight

according to webbikeworld

Schubert C3 size large 3lbs 8-1/2 oz

Nolan 104 size large 3lbs 13-1/2 oz

Nolan n90 size large 3lbs 14-7/8

Shoei Multitec size XL 3lbs 15 oz

Shoei Neotec size large 3lbs 15-7/8 oz

according to this the Neotec is almost 4lbs verses 3.5 lbs for the C3.

For some reason I thought the weights on the Neo were lighter but it's heavier than my Multi. I know the Nolans up until this newest version were well over 4 pounds in the same sizes quoted so good to see they've trimmed some of the pork from the latest version. I wonder if it'll fit my mellon any better.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues with overbearing wind noise or anything with the chin up? Do you have a fairing or tall windshield? I run without my windshield for most of the summer.

I may have to pick one of these up...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
PMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by blusmbl
No issues with overbearing wind noise or anything with the chin up? Do you have a fairing or tall windshield? I run without my windshield for most of the summer.

I may have to pick one of these up...

My limited does have a tall windshield but I've used it on other bikes with less wind protection the same way without an issue. Not fairing or windshield free but less than my HD. You may want to see if you can borrow one and try it at highway speeds before you buy if you're going without any wind protection.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

10-4, thank you. I'll see if I can borrow one from somebody in the area. I don't expect it to do well at 70mph, but 40mph around town I'm hoping I can keep the chin bar up for airflow in hot weather.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby9621
I ride with the chin bar down, but if I go into a bank, you should have it up, .
OK, I wasn't expecting that and I'm still laughing.

Beary

Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

One of the big concerns Shoei had with the MultiTech was air-flow thru the helmet. They claim to have addressed this with the Neotec design interior and added more venting. I read one review where a rider claimed the top of his head got cold with the chimney completely open. I cant say yet as I have yet to ride with mine and we havent hit the 90 degrees + temps yet here in Al Bu Ker Key (but its COMING!)

Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm seriously considering the nolan n43 air as a 3 season lid. Not dot approved after my last check but has passed testing in europe. I have played with the n43 trilogy and liked the versatility.

I did not like riding with the n102 in the flip-up position over 30 mph. It felt top heavy and once up to speed I could feel the wind pulling on the raised bar. The only lid I tested that would help with that would be the shark.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The Neotec is a nice helmet, as is the Schuberth C3. Unfortunately, I have an Arai-shaped head, so I'd end up having to carve out the foam on either of them. Modulars are nice for the convenience of being able to have your face free while leaving the helmet on, but every one I've tried is substantially noisier than a good FF.

Quick Reply: Shoei "Neotec" Helmet