Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei "Neotec" Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
At 600 bucks I would seriously look at the Schuberth C3 for a few dollars more. I like Shoei but think that they are overpriced and much closer to the Nolan's that can be had for round about 300 bucks.

I will put this new Shoei Neotec up against ANY $300 Nolan helmet and show you why the Shoei is better.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
cp1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently wear the HJC IS Max BT, best advise is to try several brands and pick one that's comfortable. I like the modular they will be a little heavier and larger than regular FF but well worth it the retractable visor also eliminates the need for sunglasses.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hoethree
I will put this new Shoei Neotec up against ANY $300 Nolan helmet and show you why the Shoei is better.
I did look at the new Nolan N104 which packs a lot of features similar to the Shoei Neotec and only at $350 it may be a steal. My problem was my watermelon head just "felt" better in the Neotec and I think the Neotec may be just a tad lighter than the Nolan.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree

Many of the features of the Shoei has been used by Nolan for some time. I mentioned the Schuberth C3 that is still an excellent helmet and if I was to spend anywhere near 600 bucks I would take a long hard look at the C3.
I was able to try on the C3, most of the Shoei line and most of the Nolan line as well as many other manufacturers, as I spend 3 hours trying on helmets.

Helmets are a personal thing, head shape and other physical characteristics of the wearer, what features and intended purpose plus what kind of motorcycle, if it has a fairing or windshield as well as the height of the windshield all have an affect.

A helmet that I'm ok with might not work as well for the next.
I currently own one modular (Nolan 102), two FF (Shoei RF-1000), one 3/4 (sparx), two 1/2 (KBC and Z1R). Never mind a couple of novelty lids.

The bottom line in my opinion is that the Nolan n90 and n103 are good modulars for 300$ and under, when we get to the 600$ mark the Schuberth C3 should certainly be looked at.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM
PMC
Advanced

I'd be interested in a weight comparison with the Nolan vs Neotech. Nolans have always been a bit heavier and if you're doing 4-500 miles a day it adds up. Saying that if they fit my head I'd probably have tried one out by now.
The Schuberths are really nice and a premium helmet but when I tried them on they didn't really fit my head as well as the Shoei.

It's awesome that we have so many really good options for those of us who wear flip-up modulars.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by PMC
I'd be interested in a weight comparison with the Nolan vs Neotech. Nolans have always been a bit heavier and if you're doing 4-500 miles a day it adds up. Saying that if they fit my head I'd probably have tried one out by now.
The Schuberths are really nice and a premium helmet but when I tried them on they didn't really fit my head as well as the Shoei.

It's awesome that we have so many really good options for those of us who wear flip-up modulars.
The new Nolan N104 weighs in at 3lbs 14oz as does the Shoei Neotec.

The Schuberths weigh in at 3lbs 8oz, so it is a bit lighter and might make a difference at the end of a long riding day

Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Not to hijack this thread but along a complimentary line I will ask for opinions on using the Scala Rider (or Sena) intercoms with these modulars and full-face helmets. My main concern is whether to go with the "boom" mic or the "corded" mic. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking the boom might be a bit of a squeeze in that chin bar area wheras the corded would not.

thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Bobby9621
Tourer

I am saving up money (one day) for the neotech, i love all the features, and it will be a major improvement over my current KBC modular.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have nothing to add besides I really like my Shoei RF1000's, I've had 2 of them so far.

I've wanted a flip-up helmet for awhile now, but from what I understand it's really not practical to ride with the chin bar up. Is that the case? Do those of you that have one always ride with the chin bar down?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

In regards to helmet weight

according to webbikeworld

Schubert C3 size large 3lbs 8-1/2 oz

Nolan 104 size large 3lbs 13-1/2 oz

Nolan n90 size large 3lbs 14-7/8

Shoei Multitec size XL 3lbs 15 oz

Shoei Neotec size large 3lbs 15-7/8 oz

according to this the Neotec is almost 4lbs verses 3.5 lbs for the C3.

Quick Reply: Shoei "Neotec" Helmet