Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Ohlins 3-3 experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Yet another Ohlins 3-3 experience

My bike: 07 Road King Classic with the following:
SE 255 Cams
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe Chrome
SE air cleaner
Thundermax Autotune
Baker F6F
Baker Plus One oil pan
Tru-track stabilizer with Baker Mount
HD Oil cooler
SE Compensator
SE IDS
Street Slammer Bars
Poly Bushings
Ohlins 3-3

The Ohlins have to rank right up there as the next best thing I have ever done to my bike next to the Cams and pipes. As soon as I rode 5 miles I had a huge smile on my face. The installation was simple. I set the sag according to Howards instructions and off I went. I left the rebound where he had it initially set. I chose a very curvy road near my house with lots of elevation changes and tight corners. The rear tire is absolutely planted to the road now. I was taking curves at speeds I had not seen since I had my sport bike. The bike is now firmly planted, more predictable and absolutely stable. I firmly believe that I at my skill level cannot ride this bike to its full capability. I am a very satisfied customer with the entire process" From Howard's advice and setup to the quick shipping and awesome product. I will now be ordering a set for my wifes Streetglide. I can't wait until Howard finishes what he is developing for the front forks.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Completely agree!! 3-3's Rock!

Definitely one of the best mods I have ever made to my SG..Made the front end feel like crap..working on that; Fabric8tr fixing me up very soon they are in the mail..Aren't you glad you read the forums? A lot to learn on here..just got to have a thick skin..heh heh..Scooter

Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Awesome

Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made a great choice. Now you can start hating your front end.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scooter_trash_1
Definitely one of the best mods I have ever made to my SG..Made the front end feel like crap..working on that; Fabric8tr fixing me up very soon they are in the mail..Aren't you glad you read the forums? A lot to learn on here..just got to have a thick skin..heh heh..Scooter
Ok, what's fabrik8ers mod ? I definitely need something for the front end. My front end already felt like crap before the Ohlins. I am trying to Wait and see what Howard comes up with but if someone has an interim solution I am all ears.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scooter_trash_1
Yeah I love the forum and I have learned a lot and have improved the handling and performance of my 07 RKC so much I don't ever crave a new bike. I even sold my 2010 Fatboy Lo because once I did some performance mods on my RKC I liked riding it better and can carve the curves faster on the Road King. The only problem is every time I read about another mod or performance improvement it costs me another 1000 bones or more !

Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Ok, what's fabrik8ers mod ? I definitely need something for the front end. My front end already felt like crap before the Ohlins. I am trying to Wait and see what Howard comes up with but if someone has an interim solution I am all ears.
The Ohlins fork cartridges he is in development on looks like it will necessitate new triple trees and the price will be considerable but he would be a better source on possible pricing. I'm guessing 1500+/- Oh and he used to install that X-Factor cartridge set up and it was 1200 but he feels that the Ohlins will be far superior so he stopped installing the X-Factor units.

Last edited by qtrracer; 02-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Ohlins fork cartridges he is in development on looks like it will necessitate new triple trees and the price will be considerable but he would be a better source on possible pricing. I'm guessing 1500+/- Oh and he used to install that X-Factor cartridge set up and it was 1200 but he feels that the Ohlins will be far superior so he stopped installing the X-Factor units.
Thanks for the info. Even if it is $1500, still cheaper than the down payment on a new bike and it will ride better than a new one. I would probably bite on it if it's anywhere near as good as the shocks.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats, more confimation that these are next on the list for my '11 RK. Are the 3/3s the same as stock height?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ben E
Congrats, more confimation that these are next on the list for my '11 RK. Are the 3/3s the same as stock height?
stock on my 07 RKC was 13 inch, I had swapped them out to 12 inch Street Glide shocks. the 3-3 Ohlins are 12 3/4 or there abouts. You can get the exact length from Motorcycle metal website More info there than you will ever need to know about shocks.

Once I set the sag it is right at about 12 1/2. I can tell a difference in ride height from when I had the Street Glide shocks on there because I don't seem to drag the floorboards near as much. I can take the turns much faster now without dragging boards.

Quick Reply: Yet another Ohlins 3-3 experience