Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake squeak decision on which pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Question brake squeak decision on which pads

Ok, so I have a 2008 with the pain in the a$$ brake squeak returning like every 2 weeks after i wipe it down. So i am planning on replacing them this month. I know that Harley pads ($50.00) ish have a paste and a template to apply it that is supposed to stop the squeak. I would like to know if it works. 2nd option is to get the Lyndall z pads that I have heard about. question is.. would i just use like disc brake quiet for my truck on the back of the Lyndalls? and would the squeal return? If the Harley fix works then I'll just go that route to be sure. need some input here.. thanks Jeff

Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I use the Lyndall z pads on my bike, bought one of the ebay three pack deals so I could change them all. The rear didn't need it but thought I would try them anyways, brake dust is cut in half and they work maybe a little better than stock. But if I can cut down on cleaning time it was worth it. I would just change the pads, pretty easy job.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I just put on some Lyndall Z-plus pads all the way around this past Sunday. Rode 70 miles. No squeal or odd noises and good stopping. I installed them to reduce or hopefully eliminate brake dust. Got them off ebay for $125 shipped. Didn't use any anti-squeal paste or anything like that...its not needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LYNDALL-Z-PL...ht_1118wt_1179

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Before you go and replace your brake pads, why don't you file a chamfer on the leading edges of the pads? It is an easy fix. Replacing the stock pads with other after market pads isn't always the cure. I had to file the edges of my Lyndall Z+ pads when I did my first brake pad change.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I get good results with stock pads, there are others and my fxr has had a set of ebc's for a long time

hard pads give long life, little dust

and are more likely to squeak

soft pads are more likely to be quiet, but less life, more dust

the "magic" is in the install*.

the squeak is caused by the brake pad vibrating.

to prevent this, the pins the caliper slides on, needs to be clean and lubed

the mounting hardware for the pads needs to be clean, also the surface to which the pads are mounted, so that the pads are fixed firmly with no "wiggle room" in which to vibrate.

anti-squeak paste or a RTV silicone is often applied to the back of the pads- this soft substance is to dampen and resist vibrations

and as suggested above the pads can be chamfered at the leading edge ( the bottom/rearward edge)

pads that have been dragged and overheated may be glazed on the surface, and can be sanded to remove the glaze or replaced altogether.

when pads are replaced, before pushing the piston back into the bore, clean the area as best you can.

crack the bleeder and push the pistons back. close the bleeder.

this will expel the most corrupted of the brake fluid.

check fluid level before riding.

pump up the brakes in the driveway before going around the block

mike

*( like many problems often the mere act of installing a new part, cleans or properly tensions something which was causing a problem- especially with electrical stuff)

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-29-2012 at 12:07 AM.