Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lyndall Z-Plus pads installed today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Lyndall Z-Plus pads installed today

Bought three pair of Lyndall Z-Plus brake pads from a seller on Ebay. Installed them on the 2010 Ultra today. Went for a 70 mile spin. Really like the feel. No noise or squeal. Straight-forward install.

The original pads still had thousands of miles of use remaining, but my goal was to rid myself of some if not all of the dust created by the stock pads. Guess we will see how that goes.

I paid $125 shipped for the three pair set.

Tools I utilized for the job:
-inch pound torque wrench
-foot pound torque wrench
-5mm Allen socket (for the brake pad pin bolt)
-10mm 12 point socket (for the front caliper mounting bolts)
-5/16th Allen socket (for the rear caliper mounting bolts)
-Socket drivers and extensions
-Needle nose pliers (to pull the pad bolt pin)
-Black tie wraps (to replace those cut during the operation)
-Pocket knife to pry off caliper screen
-Brake and caliper lub
-Silver anti-seize
-Spray brake cleaner
References:
-Service manual
-Parts manual
-.pdf from Howard at Motorcycle Metal

Thanks to everyone that posted about the Lyndall pads. Your information helped me make the decision to go with the Z-Plus version of the pads.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had issues on my 04 Ultra with the z-plus pads but it was the old style brakes. The pads did not want to stop me when wet (rain). E-mailed Lyndall and they sent me the gold pads and had me return the z-plus pads and had much better results with the golds. Hopefull you'll have better luck with them on the newer brakes but be carefull till you know.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

I had read where the Golds were more suited for wetter environments. But seems there were also issues with other stuff like dust, squeal, and such with the Golds in dry environments. You may not have any of those issues. I'll keep your comments in mind when I hit the rain. Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I had read where the Golds were more suited for wetter environments. But seems there were also issues with other stuff like dust, squeal, and such with the Golds in dry environments. You may not have any of those issues. I'll keep your comments in mind when I hit the rain. Thanks
I think the newer style Z-Plus pads have 3 slots cut in the surface of the pad all the way down to the steel backing plate that was intended to make them better in the rain and eliminate squealing.

I had them on a RK and they were excellent when they were wet, didn’t squeal and almost no dust. I put them on my SG and they squealed after a few thousand miles. I called and they sent me a full set without even asking me to return the originals. The they sent me 7254 Z-Plus and they had three slots cut into them and they have been fine in all respects.

If yours had the slots I would guess you have the improved version. If not and you have a problem I suggest you let them know. They seem to be a company that is concerned that their products that are out there are performing well and are anxious to make it right if they are not.

The owner called me a couple of weeks later to be sure I was satisfied and apologized for the problem.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Been running Z+ on all my Bikes for years now with no problems and gets pretty wet in FL ..

Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
I think the newer style Z-Plus pads have 3 slots cut in the surface of the pad all the way down to the steel backing plate that was intended to make them better in the rain and eliminate squealing.
Thanks. These have the three slots cut in them. Heres a pic: