Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change to Synthetic oil??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 PM
82_rider
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change to Synthetic oil??

I have a '06 Ultra Classic and I am due an oil change, and I was wondering if there were any pro's/cons to switching to synthetic oil.. sitting at 47K miles right now. any thoughts?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Synthetics take heat better than dinos. That's why I use them in my bike and my diesel truck because of the turbo. The turbo is oil cooled and syn. is more resistent to coking from hi temps. It is however a preference call. The syn. is more expensive but worth it in my op.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_rider
I have a '06 Ultra Classic and I am due an oil change, and I was wondering if there were any pro's/cons to switching to synthetic oil.. sitting at 47K miles right now. any thoughts?
No pro's , no con's, other than the added cost of synthetic oil and or the idea of switching brands of oil that some find a bad thing.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Pro's are the syn oil can handle higher temps before breaking down. For a air cooled engine that's a good thing.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..the only reason I run syn..is because I don't want to have to change oil for at LEAST 7500 miles...like others said...there is NO NEED to run it...but if you DO run it...don't throw your money away changing it before 7500...the manual says 5000 miles on DINO oil....so you KNOW syn can go longer....it really don't matter in these simple motors...either or...

Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I use synthetic oil for a lot of reasons. Extended service life, improved fuel economy, increased power, reduced friction and wear, resistance to breakdown, better low and high temperature protection, you name it, the documentation is out there.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Sharp8318
5th Gear

Here we go again. Syn vs Dino!

It's all personal preference.

I use synthetic in my Ultra Limited and have since the very first oil change. I use it in all three holes. I think synthetic works better for heat. Yes, the cost is a little more, but you get what you pay for (just my opinion).

Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
82_rider
4th Gear

I have heard that the Syn3 isnt all that great... but alot of people seem to praise Royal Purple, is one Synthetic better than another?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Jkey
Intermediate

Oh no now you've went and done it. You asked the sacred question. Which oil is better? Let's see how many brands are out there. Anyway I run Amsoil Syn for some of the stated reasons. Just my choice. My mechanic said it really doesn't matter which you run just stick with one and don't jump from one brand to another. It's about the additives.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you compare synthetic v-twin oils they all are very comparable in additives and quality. You do get what you pay for.
Now do you really "need" all that tech in a lubricant that's up to you to decide.
As already stated synthetic resists thermal breakdown for longer as well as tends to shear slower,have stronger additive packages(anti-wear agents,detergents),again,gettingwhat you pay for.
Many people go many many miles on conventional oil with no problems whatsoever. Same goes for synthetic,I'm sure many millions of miles.
You decide on how much you want to wrench on your bike. Syn lasts longer. So run it longer. Amsoil has a very stout add pack,as does red-line. Mobil 1 has a great reputation as well. Any of the above,well,any name brand oil will serve you well. The bike won't notice the difference.
Pick the one with the coolest label. Enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Change to Synthetic oil??