Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased punched out OEM mufflers for my EVO-Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012 | 01:16 PM
Joboo1966
|
Road Master
Default Purchased punched out OEM mufflers for my EVO-Opinions please.

When I purchased my Evo Electra Glide I was told the pipes were aftermarket Samsons. I was stupid and yes it is my own fault for trusting a salesman however I took him at face value. Upon riding it and staritng it and listening I knew it was far to restricted and quiet to be aftermiarket. Upon further looking I see on the back side if the muffler which as we all know you cant see when theyre mounted is the Harley info stamped into the muffler. Damn!

So I have been adding mods since I got the bike and my wife has been bitching non stop about the money which is never as bad as it seems in fact if we could get rid of some debt wed be well off to say the least but anyway she always bitches about money so after nearly a grand in ad ons and mods Im not really in a position to by a new set of pipes or mufflers. I have shopped but new is just too expensive. Used still costs too much. Then I saw a set of OEM mufflers just like mine off the same model and year. Theyre spotless and look new. The auction said that these were professionally modified stock pipes that had thee core or stopper or whatever you wanna call the round part that runs down the center of the baffle removed. It looked very clean inside and so the punch out was completed. He was also selling a set of Khrome Werks mufflers for a lot more. They have a baffle but its removable and tunable.

The seller assured me that the punched out version has a deep healthy louder throaty feel over the stock sound. He maintains that the punched out ones sounded the same on his RK as the Khrome Werks ones did as well. He switched to Rhineharts himself. So I purchased the OEM's punched out today for 49.95.

Do you guys think I did ok......I got the stock ones off mine in a box and this way I can put them back on if I hate this, and so I dont ruin mine trying to de baffle them myself.

Id love to hear from you guys that have punched out just the core, and Id love to hear how you think they sounded after the punch out. Please feel free to post videos of how your bike sounds or if you have any of other bikes after the punch out so I can maybe hear what I am getting?

Thanks my friends....theres no shame in being on a budget and even less in being creative to achieve what others spend hundreds trying to get for the same outcome.

Dont hate me cuz I am on a budget......... right now its all I could do. I have heard from many if its done right the sound is quite good.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-26-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2012 | 01:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

"Professionally"- yes i guess so, you paid him.

Lots of guys have drilled out their pipes with a core saw, some spoke secret incantations over them.

and then bought good pipes in the end.

It is entirely possible that you will be happy with your pipes.

and i hope so.

some pipes can be an ok used purchase- lots of low mile used pipes end up for sale on the classifieds here as the owners play "slip on bingo", based on someone telling them "they are awesome".

for sound, the best thing you can do is go to a bike night and see what sound you like, then ask the owner what pipes he has.

hope it works out.

I'd go back to the salesguy and ask him where your samsons are- you paid for them...

if you have anything in writing, you could go to small claims court.

this is the second thread in as many days with the buyer taking a sales guy at his word-- the moral is if you are shopping take a Pal or 2. assess the bike for what it is and is not- Pals can help keep you from an emotional purchase.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2012 | 01:48 PM
Joboo1966
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
"Professionally"- yes i guess so, you paid him.

Lots of guys have drilled out their pipes with a core saw, some spoke secret incantations over them.

and then bought good pipes in the end.

It is entirely possible that you will be happy with your pipes.

and i hope so.

some pipes can be an ok used purchase- lots of low mile used pipes end up for sale on the classifieds here as the owners play "slip on bingo", based on someone telling them "they are awesome".

for sound, the best thing you can do is go to a bike night and see what sound you like, then ask the owner what pipes he has.

hope it works out.

I'd go back to the salesguy and ask him where your samsons are- you paid for them...

if you have anything in writing, you could go to small claims court.

this is the second thread in as many days with the buyer taking a sales guy at his word-- the moral is if you are shopping take a Pal or 2. assess the bike for what it is and is not- Pals can help keep you from an emotional purchase.

mike
Mike I was thinking the same thing, although i do not consider the bike I got an "emotional purchase" I partially accepted the exhaust remark from the sales guy as factual because when I listened to the pipes it was a cold winter day inside the garage area at my local HD dealership...they sounded loud in there...accoustics at play................still I am curious as to wether or not the sales guy would have Bs'd me had a friend or three been there to look at the pipes more closely. My first clue should have been the sealed baffle in the pipe.....the dealership was probably not wanting to put on a set of slipons to seal the deal as I did get the bike well below the book value. I agree with a lot of what you said tho. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2012 | 01:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I wrote that more as a warning for anyone who is soon to be shopping a new bike.

in most cases the pipes can be identified by pulling a saddlebag, you can see the markings ( or lack of)

Like i said, hope this works out--- like most of us, you'll soon have a pile of pipes in the shed ( if only I had enough for a fence out front...)

mike

Old 02-26-2012 | 02:05 PM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain

I have aftermarket slipons...but removed the baffles. To me, it sounds awesome, the way a harley should sound. Anyway, I lost a noticeable amount of low end torque...also removed the cat. I added a set of torque cones for about 20 bucks...got all the torque back and them some and didn't really change the sound.

Old 02-26-2012 | 02:29 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

If you already have the old ones off, go ahead and stick the ones you bought on and see how they sound. This shouldn't take too long to do. Then report back to us on how you like them.

Old 02-26-2012 | 02:56 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Funny how you stated salesman "Samsons".

Had punched outs, now Samsons! Yes, tell us how you like them!

Old 02-26-2012 | 03:08 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member

I punched out the stock mufflers on my RK when I first got it. It sounded a whole lot better than stock but still not really loud. It may fill the bill until you can afford better slip ons.

Old 02-26-2012 | 04:12 PM
Joboo1966
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by oppirs
Funny how you stated salesman "Samsons".

Had punched outs, now Samsons! Yes, tell us how you like them!

Whatchooooo talking bout willis?

Old 02-26-2012 | 04:24 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

For $50 it's worth a shot, you may be pleasantly surprised. Sometimes you have to take a chance and for $50 who knows?

Quick Reply: Purchased punched out OEM mufflers for my EVO-Opinions please.