Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power to ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Steel Billet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power to ECM?

If the MAIN KEY switch is turned OFF and the RUN switch is flipped to the ON postion.
Is there still power on the ECM?
I have always just turned off key switch.....I was told today to turn off both.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,002 Likes on 4,988 Posts

I only turn the switch, cant hurt anything, been doing it for years and years. only time I use the kill switch is if I on an incline and can't use the right hand to turn off switch, I hit the kill with my thumb to answer your question , NO there is no power going to ecm

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,274 Likes on 22,621 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I only turn the switch, cant hurt anything, been doing it for years and years. only time I use the kill switch is if I on an incline and can't use the right hand to turn off switch, I hit the kill with my thumb to answer your question , NO there is no power going to ecm
Same here, never use the kill switch either and only use the igntion and the start switch/button.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Steel Billet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I asked is, I went to the dealership today to get the rear brake light switch recall done.
I asked the technician if he had to disconnect the power. He said no, why do you ask. I told him I had a Thunder-Max and if he disconnected the battery or fuse that it would reset the ECM and there is a start up procedure to do.
In my opinion he got a little snappy and said several times well good luck with that Thunder-max. He was wanting me to ask why but I never did. He said when you turn off your key you also need to turn off your run switch too because if you don't there is power running to your ECM.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually... there is ALWAYS power to the ECM. Ever have everything turned off and disconnected the battery? Notice a spark when you do so? ... that is the radio and ecm power in there.

Run Stop is simply an input to the ECM. Same with the key switch. The key switch turns on and off the power to everything, but as far as ECM goes... all it sees is an input stating the key switch is off.

Like the radio, if one turned off ALL power... the thing would have to do your re-start procedure and that is never the case unless the battery is disconnected. Its a very very small draw. The radio has separate powers going to it so the presets and memory stay working. Same with the ECM.

Don't worry about all of the switch positions.... you are good to go.

It IS good practice to turn off touring bikes with the key switch. Using the key switch makes on let go of the throttle before the engine is shut down... in the very beginning of DBW..... some folks that used the run/stop were slightly twisting and THAT made the bike 'think' that twist was intended.... all that crap made for faster than normal idle that took like a day to clear out and go normal again.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 02-25-2012 at 11:05 PM.