Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO Lower fairing speaker boxes installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM
5TIME
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Has anyone run the speaker wires inside the crashbar ?? Being OCD, if I saw any wires, I'd freak out............

I was scrolling through the comments in the thread with the intent to post this very question; you beat me to it. I just ordered my Polks last week and will do this install toward the end of the month. Given my **** retentiveness, I'm considering pulling the crash bar and carefully drilling. In this event, the question of where a person drilled the fairing lowers or speaker boxes for wires becomes moot. I'm surprised we haven't seen someone do it here. I'm 80% committed to sowing it at the moment, but sure would like to see/read of someone's experiences doing it...

Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Start a thead if you do it.

Before I installed the lowers I had HD fog lights installed with the wiring inside the engine guard.

When I installed the speakers I thought about doing the same, bu t midis it the way HD does it on the CVO SG's and using the same parts The decision was mass easier because I have the first version of. Enter lowers with the longer fairing. Ap over the engine guard, so very little of the wire conduit shows.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: I hate typing on my iphone

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-14-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Meist21
Cruiser

Yea I was amazed there was not a thread on this already. I do not suffer from the same disease that GP does so the wires showing on the bottom of the crash bar do not bother me. Would be interesting to do but my list of other things for now probably tops that. I did take a few pics of the whole thing and once done will post a few.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
5TIME
Cruiser

I will post a thread should I decide to do this, which I probably will within a couple of weeks. I need to hunt down some rubber gromments for the size hole I plan to drill... After all, no self-respecting, ****-retentive, OCD freak such as myself could have chafed speaker wires...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM
scottdoege
Tourer

I want to wire internally. I'm watching.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I ran the speaker wire from under the fairing down to the crash bar at the center of the bike. I then ran it under the crash bar to the lower, where it raps around the crash bar. I then ran the speaker wire under the lower and drilled a hole in the part of the lower where it is hidden (where the lower wraps around the crash bar) so you don't have to drill thru the outside of your lower! There is only about five inches of speaker wire under the crash bar and you can,t see it, unless you are laying on the ground and looking up. Or if your GP you can run it thru the crash bar and bring it out of the crash bar at this point so it is totally hidden!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Moto Mike, I guess I misread your post because you drilled a hole both the lower and tha speaker box.

Carl

Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah I drilled a hole into the back of the lower (where the lower wraps around the crash bar) and thru the speaker box at the same time. I also used Parts express grills to cover my Titan II's (Biketronics HAT's). Didn't like the fact the Harley emblem blocked the tweeter. Used 1/2 inch wood spacer cut out of birch plywood to flush mount the grills. Used charcoal bumper spray paint to match the speaker pods to the color of the glove boxes I removed. Estimates to paint the pods were $150 to $200 and to spray them myself would of cost $200 for materials.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Moto Mike, thanks for the explanation. HD's instructions do not require drilling a hole through the exfrior surface of the fairing lower; ditto the Hogtunes kit--both sets of instructions have links referenced in my write-up done a out 2 years ago on the Touring forum. Both sets of instructions locate the hole in the lower where it will be covered by the fairing cap.

Post a pic of your install if you can. In my install, I used the hole in the lower I drilled when I had the Hogtunes kit installed and had no difficulty routing the wire inside the CVO conduit out of the speaker box and under the engine guard while using the fairing cap to help locate it under the engine guard.

Carl

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Meist21
Nice write up indeed. I did the same thing this weekend. I did not have time to take pics as I had a million things going on. I just want to add a couple of helpful things I ran into. Carl mentioned one above but I did something different.

1. The directions tell you to drill the outer fairings per the small illustration. They then tell you to run the wires through the opeining in the speaker box. I drilled the hole in the outer fairing first, then put the speaker box in place, then marked the box by sticking a nail in the outer fairing hole to mark the location on the outside of the speaker box. Then I drilled the outside of the speaker box so the holes line up. It makes it a lot easier to run the speaker wires. Keeps them in a straight line if you want to move the wire after you put everything back together.

2. I used a 3/8 grommet on the hole in the outer fairing. If you want to use the speaker wire that comes with the Harley kit (as in Harleypings pics by his speaker boxes) like I did then use a little gun oil or lube by the grommet to help pull the wire. The wire will slide very easy and you won't get pissed by the wire not pulling by being too tight or having just the wires pull with the outside sheath not moving.

Also if you take the entire lower fairing off (makes it way easier to work on taking the vents off, etc.) make sure you have the rubber washers that go on the lower fairing, lower bolt. You probably will not be able to re-use it. The part number is 7415A if memory serves me right. I didn't have the washers when I took everything apart and had to run to Harley on Sunday to get the washers after the fact.

They may not be biggies but will save you a little bit of time a aggrevation.
Just 2 washers needed? (one for each box) I'm trying to plan this out.