Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO Lower fairing speaker boxes installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Dizzy810
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5TIME
I have the matching BBP lowers, and have the CVO speaker pods already painted to match. The paint will be fine. I won't finish this little project until spring, as I'm about to pull the trigger on bars,color matched fairing, chrome controls,etc. I plan to install the Biketronics 4180 amp, and Hertz speakers. IMHO-aesthetically, and sound wise, this is hard to beat. The painted pods look so much better than most of the alternatives offered by the aftermarket. Maybe I'm just an **** retentive SOB...( I am ). I say do it right (professionally) or not at all... My .02...
How much did it cost to get the speaker pods painted? I think I am going to have to try this.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just purchased the vented lowers and cvo speaker pods from Horny Toad HD as they had the best price from 6 different dealers....ask for John.

I am then going with the Arc Audio amp and Focal speakers from www.soundzcustomz.com.........talk to Peter out there and he will fix you up.

I am going to sell my J&M amp and speakers once I get them removed.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM
troessler
Novice
Default Fosgate grill mod

I modified my Rockford Fosgate speaker grills to fit the lower fairings. I purchased the stock HD grills but didn't like the tweeter clearance issue and how they fit the speaker.

I removed the 1/2" raised section of the grill. Then I slowly removed 1/8" of the diameter of the circle. They look great and fit perfect.

Tools I used 2" air grinder with flap disc and 3m 2" wheels.

You will not see the ground edge as it sits below the surface of the HD speaker pod.

I am considering painting the grills to match

Attached Thumbnails CVO Lower fairing speaker boxes installed-img_0362.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
troessler
Novice
Default fogate grill mod

here are some more pictures

Iam running 4 Fosgate t165 and PBR 300x4 scotts Awesome bracket and HK head sounds great
This beats the J&M huge disappointment that I had last year. Sold that junk for half the money.

Attached Thumbnails CVO Lower fairing speaker boxes installed-img_0363.jpg   CVO Lower fairing speaker boxes installed-img_0360.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turned out nice !!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM
troessler
Novice

also like to say thanks to Harleypingman was awesome thread with ton of info and pics Thank you!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Meist21
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up indeed. I did the same thing this weekend. I did not have time to take pics as I had a million things going on. I just want to add a couple of helpful things I ran into. Carl mentioned one above but I did something different.

1. The directions tell you to drill the outer fairings per the small illustration. They then tell you to run the wires through the opeining in the speaker box. I drilled the hole in the outer fairing first, then put the speaker box in place, then marked the box by sticking a nail in the outer fairing hole to mark the location on the outside of the speaker box. Then I drilled the outside of the speaker box so the holes line up. It makes it a lot easier to run the speaker wires. Keeps them in a straight line if you want to move the wire after you put everything back together.

2. I used a 3/8 grommet on the hole in the outer fairing. If you want to use the speaker wire that comes with the Harley kit (as in Harleypings pics by his speaker boxes) like I did then use a little gun oil or lube by the grommet to help pull the wire. The wire will slide very easy and you won't get pissed by the wire not pulling by being too tight or having just the wires pull with the outside sheath not moving.

Also if you take the entire lower fairing off (makes it way easier to work on taking the vents off, etc.) make sure you have the rubber washers that go on the lower fairing, lower bolt. You probably will not be able to re-use it. The part number is 7415A if memory serves me right. I didn't have the washers when I took everything apart and had to run to Harley on Sunday to get the washers after the fact.

They may not be biggies but will save you a little bit of time a aggrevation.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Toeser, props on a successful project; glad you are happy with it; and, you're welcome.

Meist21, thanks for the suggested install improvements--they make sense, though I had no difficulty w/o them.

It's been a good while since my installation. Except for the painted inner fairing w/spun aluminum gauges, this project gives the most pleasure--enjoy it every time I ride--the project was relatively inexpensive (in HD terms), look cool, and is an effective audio upgrade.

Carl

Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone run the speaker wires inside the crashbar ?? Being OCD, if I saw any wires, I'd freak out............

Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

GP, you need help. There are a lot of wires visible on an Ultra.

Have you installed speakers in your lowers?

Carl

Quick Reply: CVO Lower fairing speaker boxes installed