Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered the TCB braking System

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
While your training resume on paper sounds quite impressive, you can always learn something new in practice.
Absolutely! I'm always open to new ideas. I'm just not sure the braking described earlier is intended for dynamic situations where maximum braking is needed immediately. I'm not a physics major, but it seems any hesitation in apply both brakes immediately (instead of one before the other - no matter how fast) would result in longer stopping distances.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
Absolutely! I'm always open to new ideas. I'm just not sure the braking described earlier is intended for dynamic situations where maximum braking is needed immediately. I'm not a physics major, but it seems any hesitation in apply both brakes immediately (instead of one before the other - no matter how fast) would result in longer stopping distances.
As a motor officer, you should know that you can get your machine to react differently depending on how you lean, how much you "monkey out" and similarly how you apply the brakes. In many many situations, it is appropriate to apply a light squeeze to the rear brake to create drag before applying the front brake. I am not talking about minutes here, I am talking about near simultaneous application. Many, many times in road and dirt racing, I have used trail braking, front braking or a combination of both to get the machine to do what I needed it to do. In emergency stop situations, laying off the front brake (not applying fully) until you get the rear started decreases your stopping distance because you are not skidding your rear tire.

Tomorrow when you're out riding, practice this skill, make it second nature and I'll guarantee you'll find it useful. If not, I'll let you write me a ticket if you can stop shorter than I can.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

As a motor officer, you should know that you can get your machine to react differently depending on how you lean, how much you "monkey out" and similarly how you apply the brakes. In many many situations, it is appropriate to apply a light squeeze to the rear brake to create drag before applying the front brake. I am not talking about minutes here, I am talking about near simultaneous application. Many, many times in road and dirt racing, I have used trail braking, front braking or a combination of both to get the machine to do what I needed it to do. In emergency stop situations, laying off the front brake (not applying fully) until you get the rear started decreases your stopping distance because you are not skidding your rear tire.

Tomorrow when you're out riding, practice this skill, make it second nature and I'll guarantee you'll find it useful. If not, I'll let you write me a ticket if you can stop shorter than I can.
LOL, I like the way you think. As you said, the important thing is not locking up the rear....however one can get it done. Rolling friction is the key to quick stops! If you are ever in the DC area give me a shout. If you can get your iron horse stopped faster than mine I'll buy lunch....I've been in the game too long to still right tickets (exceptions are made for those who try to run me over).

Old 04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
.......If you can get your iron horse stopped faster than mine I'll buy lunch....I've been in the game too long to still right tickets (exceptions are made for those who try to run me over).
You have ABS.....

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

You have ABS.....
My 2011 Electra Glide work bike does not have ABS. We always practice threshold braking as that is the fastest way to get any bike stopped. ABS is a fantastic tool, but an experienced rider can stop faster without it (assuming all goes as planned). Since *&%? does happen, my personal bikes will always have ABS. All the threshold braking practice in the world can't save someone from a panic stop on slick fluids, wet leaves, etc. Fortunately, all of our newer work bikes have ABS now.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Juan L

Sorry didn't see the Electra Glide listed on your signature....

Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Sorry didn't see the Electra Glide listed on your signature....
Although my name is on the fender, it doesn't really belong to me It's been a great bike though, no complaints (other than it's hotter than Hades in the summer). In case it didn't come across the right way the first time, my braking challenge was only a joke....I was just looking for a good excuse to buy a fellow out of town rider lunch

Last edited by dgreen1069; 04-04-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TCB braking system

I tried this on my previous bike, a 2005 Road King, I couldn't really tell any difference at all, I could still lock it up in panic braking. Maybe it is me, not sure. I sold that bike and got a 2012 Street Glide with ABS, I haven't even activated the ABS and have had it for 3 years now. I think my RK had some brake issues, but no one could ever find anything wrong. I like my SG brakes and feel much safer when having to stop quickly, my V-Rod doesn't have ABS, it has never locked up on me unless I was trying to make it lock up. I guess it is much lighter so maybe that has something to do with it. I think on a Touring bike ABS is the way to go, just my honest opinion. I realize this is an old thread, not sure how I even got here now.

Last edited by VTwinJaxFL; 02-07-2016 at 10:27 AM.