Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered the TCB braking System

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
Hey SG, good explanation however, temperature and wear and road condition also effects braking you can practice panic braking all day long and a week later the point of lock-up could be very different. No matter how much you practice, in a life or death PANIC brake maneuver it has been shown that most riders will grab a handful of brakes and if the conditions are right, (wet or oily roads) then a lock-up most likely will occur which usually has a bad ending. At least, with the TCB system you may have a chance not to lock-up. Check out the interdependent test and reviews.http://www.hdopenroad.com/reviews/tc...em-cost-value/
FL, you do raise a very valid counter, but actually I think that further highlights the limitation of the TBS system. The gas pressure is set at the outset, so selecting an appropriate pressure means you would have to make an assumption on the road conditions. I am guessing this would be dry tarmac conditions. This being the case, this device is not going to even activate in slick conditions.

I read the test you posted above. I promise I entered in to it with a completely open mind. I have to say I was somewhat surprised that the main thrust of the article was that it significantly reduced braking distance. I am sorry, but this absolutely defies reason.

I am happy to accept that, in the correct conditions, it will delay, and hence possibly even eliminate, the onset of skidding but reduced stopping distances with a system that has built in some compliance is simply defying basic physics.

The bottom line is, the quickest / shortest distance you can stop any vehicle in is to maintain brake force just a fraction before lock up. Unlike ABS, this system is an open loop system so it has no idea where or when lock up will occur so how can it help the rider find this optimum position?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionsm13
How long these things been out and is/have there been any down sides to them.
We have 2 actual users who say that they work great and one anaylist who says he wouldn't use them.. HMMMM...
Interesting..
To those who have them, could you take some pics and post them?
Applying your same line of reasoning, I invite you to read the pages and pages of posts on ABS and then come back and tell me whether it is a good system or not!

I never realised that applying engineering knowledge and expertise was not allowed when asked an opinion on something. I wonder what todays world would look like if that philosophy was universally adopted.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
SamSchlebit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tcb braking

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ng-system.html

I had a lot of doubts as well, but they told me that the best way to see that they work is to try them. With a money back guarantee, I tried them and I really like them.

Check out the test results at
http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/avoid...ccidents2.html

Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
SamSchlebit
4th Gear

Respectfully, I am not an engineer, but others who have tried them, experienced test riders, and I like them a lot. The “2 actual users who say that they work great” but the one anaylist who says he wouldn't use them”, the analyst should probably try them.

I don’t like ABS because

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

I have it on the rear only. Here's my reason:

In a panic stop, if the brake(s) lock up, tendency is to release the brake(s) and re-apply. From ABATE training, one should not release the rear if it locks up, but only to release the front and re-apply, because if the rear regain traction all of a sudden, the bike might high-side on you. Now we know when the s**t hits the fan, most trainings are out the window. Figure this is a good way to not lock up the rear as easy.

Was trying out just the rear and add the front at some point. After 2 years of riding with TCB in rear only, I choose not to add this to the front. Main reason is now the rear brake takes quite a bit more "pressure" for it to activate, and that kinda concern me....

That being said, TCB recommends if only doing one, it should be in the front. But as I mentioned, normal reflex is to release the brake and re-apply anyway if lock up, it make more sense to me to install in the rear and not the front.

Maybe that's the reason why I haven't notice shorter stopping distance. Overall, I'm not unhappy with the TCB, more for a peace of mind than anything.

Sorry for the long post, just want to voice my opinion for you to make an educated decision.

Ride safe

Last edited by 3/4 life crisis; 02-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
RKGDW
Stage I

Has anyone installed the TCB on Brembo calipers? I have an '08 RK and the banjo bolts the TCB replaces have the bleeder screws integrated. Replacing them would remove the ability to bleed the brakes. Anyone have a solution?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The bleed nipples on my Brembo's are separate to the banjo's.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like the system is meant to provide a more constant pressure by compensating for rotor and pad imperfections and thus modulating the brakes better, if it really works it should provide better feedback to the operator while making the brakes more progressive and less likely to lock so decreasing braking distances. It kind of makes sense to me. From a strict engineering point of view it relies on a perceived issue rather than a verifiable constant and as such is problematic in defining its effectiveness but any good engineer also is open to the fact that real world situations don't always follow the rules the way they are supposed to. I think it would be suck it and see, saying that it would be better to make sure your brakes are the best they can be before looking to a solution like this as it has the potential to mask brake issues.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have them installed on all three Rotors and they are not spongy. They seem to stop me much faster without lock-up. The real test is on wet roads and frankly, I rather not be in that situation.

If I experience any issues, good or bad, I will post.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
I have them installed on all three Rotors and they are not spongy. They seem to stop me much faster without lock-up. The real test is on wet roads and frankly, I rather not be in that situation.

If I experience any issues, good or bad, I will post.
just woundering how the test is doing

Quick Reply: Just ordered the TCB braking System