Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Hit Your Rev Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by btsom
Have you ever considered the force on the rotor with the magnets flying around at 6000 rpm (or more if you have bumped up your limiter)? Might the rotor slowly stretch and increase the gap between the magnets and stator reducing alternator capacity? Thought about the rotor disintegrating?
Which part of the rotor precisely do you fear stretching?

I wonder what sort of centrifugal force would be required to stretch that thick steel?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I've never hit it. Don't think I will.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 AM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would I want to do that?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:37 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

The rotor is shaped like a bowl with vertical sides which forms the cavity within which the stator is placed. Those bowl sides are not one continuous piece of metal as the magnets are installed within the sides breaking up whatever strength might be inherent in one continuous piece. The very thickness of the sides adds to the force exerted at the base of the bowl where the sidewall joins the hub disk. The hub disk is self supporting with continuous material from the center to the edge but the bowl sides have no continuous material from the center to help hold the shape and size under stress. It is the unsupported sidewall which would be the first to deflect form centrifugal force. Have you heard of scatter shields on drag racers to contain flywheel/clutch components should any of those parts fracture? I doubt that the primary case would be able to perform the same function should a rotor eventually explode at high rpm.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,982 Likes on 4,174 Posts

Looks like this. They are stuck like crazy till the smallest amount of out-of round condition..then they pop off leaving a thin layer of magnet still bonded to rotor.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Wow, and it's only early winter........It's gonna get downright crazy in here by mid-February.

Rotor-stretching.....who'd have thunk it?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Nope. Never.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I read these threads and the only thing that cones to mind is a bunch of guys riding Harley's really should be riding crotch rockets.

Ok, you got the money, go race it around, rev the crap out of it, do what you want, it's ALL YOURS. As for me, I'll enjoy my bike, be at the same destination as you within minutes of you and my bike will require less maintenance and run longer.

You want a real hot-rod? Go pick yourself up a used Valkarie.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Callgood
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have hit it several times in 1st and 2nd on my Heritage. I don't try to, it normally is when I am with other loud bikes and I don't have a tach. I don't think it would be good on the motor's longevity to frequently hit it intentionally. Before the PCV it was hard not to hit it when raising a little hell.
Heck, I hit it on my limited on the way from the dealer. I was doing a few roll ons and the stock bike was so quiet and I wasn't used to having a tach to observe.
I really have a hard time comprehending some folks on here that say they have never hit it, or never been over 4k etc. Now that would be challenging.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

good lord, now we are all going to lose our left feet from exploding rotors.....do me a favor and don't tell the NHTSA, then we'll all be wearing mandatory armored boots. Your knowledge of dynamics is a bit skewed.

Quick Reply: Do You Hit Your Rev Limiter?