Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket Fairing Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
rwb1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket Fairing Question

I have read every fairing post on this sight...took a few hours , got alot of good info and opinions.....

I have been looking at fairings for about a month and cant decide which one I like best....maybe Im wrong but all I read , no one mentioned the "Boxy" look they have around the headlight .

I may be wrong but everyone I looked at stuck way out past the headlight unless it had a frenched ring on it....looks like **** to me . I cant get past the fact that my headlight will be 3" or more recessed into the fairing....seems like it would cause some glare inside at night .

Sportech seems to be the only one that seems to sit flush...Im kinda at the point of "well, they all look like that so....." but Im wondering what others think.

thanks for the input

Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM
onebadroadking
Intermediate

Im with ya brother! Ive got a road king and im so sick of lookin for a fairing that looks "factory" that im ready to sell it and just buy a sg or a rg

Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

My fairing is used all winter, then removed in the spring for the summer and fall. I think the "box" design leaves it open at the bottom to make quick release easy.

If it is permanent, then you have more options.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad has the dragonfly and it is very nice , the whole deal is nice and you can get handlebar controls for the radio . He put a 6" moco windsheild and kuryakin mirrors that are mounted on their windsheild trim . It all bolts up nice. sorry no good pics though

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket Fairing Question-copy-of-dad-and-dev.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine has a 'Brow' line to it, no frenched trim ring yet the headlight is pretty well out in the open not unlike the old '55 Chevy's fender brows. Mine is a DCC(Dead Center Cycles) unit.

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket Fairing Question-dsc02141.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
dmathieu
Intermediate

The fairing you looking for comes free with a SG...lol

I have a DragonFly and love it, it never comes off. I included a bad picture.

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket Fairing Question-img-20110521-00073.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try Glen Woods of Woody's Fairings. He hand makes all his fairings and perhaps he can discuss this with you & resolve it to your liking.

http://www.woodysfairings.com/

Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rwb1
I have read every fairing post on this sight...took a few hours , got alot of good info and opinions.....

I have been looking at fairings for about a month and cant decide which one I like best....maybe Im wrong but all I read , no one mentioned the "Boxy" look they have around the headlight .

I may be wrong but everyone I looked at stuck way out past the headlight unless it had a frenched ring on it....looks like **** to me . I cant get past the fact that my headlight will be 3" or more recessed into the fairing....seems like it would cause some glare inside at night .

Sportech seems to be the only one that seems to sit flush...Im kinda at the point of "well, they all look like that so....." but Im wondering what others think.

thanks for the input

Maybe you're the only one that thinks they look "Boxy". I've done the same as you with the exception that I looked at them "in person". Gives you a different perspective. If you just want a shell you can't beat the Memphis Shades unit. Fit and finish are great and it looks proportionate.
Put a Dead Center unit on the wife's Heritage. Nice unit with a great stereo but it rides quite high on a Heritage. Sure stops the wind though and the wife loves it.

Matbe you're the only one hat thinks they look "Boxy".

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
rwb1
Tourer

Maybe its just me....all nice fairings....thanks forthe input and the pics...leaning toward the Dragonfly....I like the sportech but I want a stereo....

FU$K it....prolly just give me an exscuse to buy a Road Glide....gonna need a bigger garage and a new wife....caus' if I buy another bike she's gonna throw a fit....lol

Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I agree with you 100 %!!
It's worse for the Heritage. The aftermarket fairings seem to be angled too far forward, creating that eyebrow. It just does not look right. The closest one I've seen to look like it is at the correct angle is the Woody's. But they have that raised area on the top. It seems you could slot those mntg/brackets and adj them slightly. I got an older FL fairing off craigslist. If I ever get a spare 2 seconds, I'm going to try to modif the brackets to fit the Heritage. But it ain't even close.

Originally Posted by rwb1

thanks for the input

Quick Reply: aftermarket Fairing Question