Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Road king rear tire not centered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 02:01 PM
young_bear
6th Gear

My fender strut broke as well, replaced it. The pulley only clears the swing arm by 1/8". I'm changing tires and trying to fix this. The bike was wrecked and reconstructed. It's been back on the rode for at least 3 years. I rode it all last year and it rides fine, but I'm wondering if I need to adjust alignment or offset wheel to the right. If so I'll have to mill down caliper mounting arm. I know it doesn't need to be centered perfectly but I don't what the tire rubbing fender.

Old 03-10-2012 | 02:03 PM
young_bear
6th Gear

My fender strut broke as well, replaced it. The pulley only clears the swing arm by 1/8". I'm changing tires and trying to fix this. The bike was wrecked and reconstructed. It's been back on the road for at least 3 years. I rode it all last year and it rides fine, but I'm wondering if I need to adjust alignment or offset wheel to the right. If so I'll have to mill down caliper mounting arm. I know it doesn't need to be centered perfectly but I don't what the tire rubbing fender.

The following users liked this post:
mfalbo1978 (04-18-2019)
Old 03-10-2012 | 04:00 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know why more people don't check this Before changing tires.
That would take a lot of the guesswork out of it, like did I loose a spacer, or put them in wrong... Gunna check mine today.

Old 03-10-2012 | 04:35 PM
oasis03
Cruiser

My 03 RoadKing is off center to the left looking from behind the bike. heck every thing on that bike looks of center.Don't worry be happy.

Nokkon Wud (02-04-2024)
Old 03-11-2012 | 08:55 AM
young_bear
6th Gear

yes I understand off center is normal, but 1/8" or less clearance on drive side seems extreme. Once I get the new tire on I'll check clearances, but I quite certain an adjustment is in order. I've already adjusted the fender.

Old 04-11-2017 | 09:59 PM
Westcoaster
Stage I
Default 04 road king rear tire off center

Need help figuring out why the tire is more to the left I put everything back on the way it should be according to manual and the way I took it off

Old 02-03-2024 | 06:07 PM
Steven Sullivan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by cowentz
I have just replaced my rear tire. When I reinstalled the wheel I noticed the wheel is not centered. Did I do something wrong? On the left side I can just barely get my index finger between the tire and the fender, on the right side there is more room and my finger fits with clearance. I am 99% positive I put the spacers in correctly.

Did uou ever figure this out. I just replaced my tire and same situation. More room on passenger side and cant get a finger between tire and fender on drivers side

Old 02-03-2024 | 06:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steven Sullivan
Did uou ever figure this out. I just replaced my tire and same situation. More room on passenger side and cant get a finger between tire and fender on drivers side
12 tear old thread and he hasn't been seen on this site in almost 4 years, just fyi

benscratchin (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024 | 07:10 PM
Ghetto blaster
Road Master

Its probably the fender and not the tire, fenders can have flex to them and when it was installed they could have tightened down one side all the way, then the other side, the tire is normally pretty rigidly mounted, if tire is off, could be that someone installed the spacers wrong, its out of line, or swingarm bent, my bet would be fender.

Old 02-04-2024 | 04:00 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Community Team

97 RK uses three spacers, and they are all the same length.
one goes on the carb side of axle between bearing and inside of swing arm, then two go on the other side between swing arm and wheel bearing.
And yes on the two on the primary side instead of one longer one,since first one goes into the wheel to seat against the bearing, get the axle loaded through the carb side one and to the end first one in the primary side of the wheel, get the wheel into position and push it to the carb side of the bike so that shim is tight between the wheel bearing and fork, load the second up and int ,and push the axle through and the rest of the way.
If the primary side was one longer one, then would be a monster to get the wheel in place, since would be fighting the longer single space every time trying to put the wheel in place by yourself.

As for the wheels being in line front and back on the touring bikes, that did not happen until 2006, when HD installed a thinner wheel pulley, to allow the needed room to center the tire toward the primary to get them in line front to back center line of the bike, and the thinner belt not rubbing the tire. And no, more than just belt and pulley mod to pull that off,since going wider on the carb side, would cause problems with rear brake not centering, so that would need to be adressed as well.

Quick Reply: 1997 Road king rear tire not centered?