Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 PM
r0ckie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test ride Road Glide Ultra

Hey, all,

So I've been following the ongoing multiple threads about the sharknose/batwing fairing pros and cons. I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and I tested a 2011 RGU today at the local dealer, one of their former rental fleet bikes. I took it down the interstate and purposely got behind some semis just to see how it felt. I have to say it was rock-solid. But I also have to add that there even though there was no buffeting effect on the steering, there seemed to be a lot more air flowing around my face/head than on my Ultra. Also seemed there was more when not following anything. I mentioned this to the sales guy and he agreed but said there's a plastic baffle you can add to keep so much air from coming up from under the fairing. I didn't realize the air was coming from there but I guess it could've been since there's lots of open space beneath the sharknose. It was also a little breezy today so that may have contributed.

Having said all this, I have to say I prefer my batwing. I've had batwings for so long I guess I just consider whatever steering buffeting I get as part of the ride and it doesn't concern me very much. (I rode it to Sturgis in 2010 from here in NC and no wind/buffeting problems to speak of.) Bottom line, they're both great bikes and as many have said on this forum on this subject, it's largely a matter of personal preference. Just so we get to ride is the priority here so batwing or sharknose, stay safe and enjoy the ride!!

R0ckie

Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Batwing, besides that it's not FUGLY !...............LOL.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode the rgultra with the baffle, it did seem to help. I agree on being used to the batwing, but the look and ride of the rg has definitely grown on me since ive rented a few for long trips. If I bought a new bagger it would be a road glide ultra, thats not happening anytime soon though!

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 02-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a Road Glide to an Ultra Classic and like them about the same. It took me less time/money to get the Ultra Classic "dialed in" to manage wind and get comfortable, but the the right windshield & seat combination the Road Glide was just as fine. I suppose I'm pretty neutral about one over the other - they are both great bikes that serve their purpose equally well.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

I totally agree. The head buffeting is an issue for me, having to wear presc/glasses (sunglasses) now.
The buffeting (even with the lwrs and the stk height w/shield) was worse than the Heritage w/the shorty shield. What is this "baffle" you guys are talking about?

It was a windy day, and it was pretty good in the cross-wind.
I think the Road Glide looks cool. They are NOT fugly. Not to me. While the fairing works better for overall stability (face it-the thing is a giant spoiler),
the Bat offers better protection for the rider. While it seems close, on the showroom floor, to me it's not that noticeable on the road. It is better on a SG or something with the seat farther back. On the flip-side, the RG is noticably far away on the road. And not the radio controls (ha ha)
And I don't care that it doesn't turn. I had a fixed fairing Honda. And it had buffeting too (CBX fairing) But I wore a full face then.
One ride and you're used to the no turning thing.

Originally Posted by r0ckie
Hey, all,

So I've been following the ongoing multiple threads about the sharknose/batwing fairing pros and cons. I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and I tested a 2011 RGU today at the local dealer, one of their former rental fleet bikes. I took it down the interstate and purposely got behind some semis just to see how it felt. I have to say it was rock-solid. But I also have to add that there even though there was no buffeting effect on the steering, there seemed to be a lot more air flowing around my face/head than on my Ultra. Also seemed there was more when not following anything. I mentioned this to the sales guy and he agreed but said there's a plastic baffle you can add to keep so much air from coming up from under the fairing. I didn't realize the air was coming from there but I guess it could've been since there's lots of open space beneath the sharknose. It was also a little breezy today so that may have contributed.

Having said all this, I have to say I prefer my batwing. I've had batwings for so long I guess I just consider whatever steering buffeting I get as part of the ride and it doesn't concern me very much. (I rode it to Sturgis in 2010 from here in NC and no wind/buffeting problems to speak of.) Bottom line, they're both great bikes and as many have said on this forum on this subject, it's largely a matter of personal preference. Just so we get to ride is the priority here so batwing or sharknose, stay safe and enjoy the ride!!

R0ckie

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
I totally agree. The head buffeting is an issue for me, having to wear presc/glasses (sunglasses) now.
The buffeting (even with the lwrs and the stk height w/shield) was worse than the Heritage w/the shorty shield. What is this "baffle" you guys are talking about?
Part #57000063
FLTR Air Deflector kit

Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out why ride if you don't want to feel some wind. One of the reasons I like my RG more than my old EG is because it gives me a more open feeling and mote of a breeze, but I guess I'm in the minority opinion.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I prefer it too but also glad there are those that prefer the Sharknose.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I grew up riding fixed Windjammer fairings and fairings mounted to the frame on sport bikes and touring bikes. Love the sleek shark nose over a decrepit old bat wing. LOL

To reduce wind to almost nothing on a shark nose, just install a taller wind shield and wind baffle.

My FLTRUSE rides like a large sport bike. Rock steady in our Florida trade winds. Riding in strong cross winds with a rider with a bat wing, he asked if I was fatigued by all the wind? I honestly didn't notice the cross winds till he mentioned them.

Personally I don't like a wind shield so close to my face in the event of a collision with a bat wing or a Canadian goose strike against a fork mounted bat wing . They also remind me of the low rent looking bat wings of the '70's.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 AM
GlidingFree
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too agree their both great bikes but I prefer the Sharknose. I got started riding Road Glides when I went to bikes with fairings & now every time I get on someones Batwing I feel too enclosed.

Quick Reply: Test ride Road Glide Ultra