Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
Follow the link to the HD page that was posted on the first page. Look at view #2- it shows them installed on the bike.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Yes, they do work. The taller the windshield the more effective the wind baffles are.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

I could see wheree those would help.
To me, it seemed like the buffeting/gusts were coming around
the sides and over the top of the windshield portion. I could see where a windscreen like the Windvest or one of em that stands up straighter with the "flip" at the top would be the ticket with the Roadglide.

I know I posted it before, but years ago, I took a ride on a TourGlide. Now THAT was a fairing. Not as sleek as the RG, but you could smoke a cigar at 100 mph w/o a problem. There was NO buffeting with that.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
I grew up riding fixed Windjammer fairings and fairings mounted to the frame on sport bikes and touring bikes. Love the sleek shark nose over a decrepit old bat wing. LOL

To reduce wind to almost nothing on a shark nose, just install a taller wind shield and wind baffle.

My FLTRUSE rides like a large sport bike. Rock steady in our Florida trade winds. Riding in strong cross winds with a rider with a bat wing, he asked if I was fatigued by all the wind? I honestly didn't notice the cross winds till he mentioned them.

Personally I don't like a wind shield so close to my face in the event of a collision with a bat wing or a Canadian goose strike against a fork mounted bat wing . They also remind me of the low rent looking bat wings of the '70's.
Nice lean pic Denny. If I was gonna get a fixted fairing bike it would be the RG no question. No contest on which fairing bike looks best to me from the drivers seat (I love the added space the RG offers), but as a guy who has spent the last 28 years without a windshield or fairing, the RKC was as far as I could go. It may take me another 28 years to wise up.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 Shovelking
Nice lean pic Denny. If I was gonna get a fixted fairing bike it would be the RG no question. No contest on which fairing bike looks best to me from the drivers seat (I love the added space the RG offers), but as a guy who has spent the last 28 years without a windshield or fairing, the RKC was as far as I could go. It may take me another 28 years to wise up.
Don't get me wrong. I love riding without a windshield or fairing. One of my trade ins was my '10 RK on my present CVO. However living in South FL we got flying insects that are at times as large as a small bird. Especially this "winter".
Usually we have 4 bug-free riding months, not this year! I've been stung by flying insects 6 times in less than a yr on my former RK till I got a stock wind shield for it.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I'm still trying to figure out why ride if you don't want to feel some wind. One of the reasons I like my RG more than my old EG is because it gives me a more open feeling and mote of a breeze, but I guess I'm in the minority opinion.
You are not alone - I enjoy the wind as well. My ultra didn't come with lowers (it was used) and I would have taken them off anyway because 1. I think they are ugly and 2. I want to feel the wind. Got a much shorter windshield as well. Wind is part of the experience - if I wanted to be totally isolated, I would have bought a Gold Wing or just taken the cage...to each his/her own though.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

The Road Glides look great going down the road. I like the way the RG fairing deflects the wind somewhat better than the Batwing fairings. I realize it the nature of the design but I don't like the Road Glide fairing being so far forward from the rider position.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
The Road Glides look great going down the road. I like the way the RG fairing deflects the wind somewhat better than the Batwing fairings. I realize it the nature of the design but I don't like the Road Glide fairing being so far forward from the rider position.
The fact that the radio and other dash mounted controls required me to lean to reach them was one of the reasons I did not get the RG and instead bought another Electra Glide. Besides that, the Road Glides did not come in white.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I like the way the RG fairing deflects the wind somewhat better than the Batwing fairings.
Funny, owners of both say the opposite.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
The fact that the radio and other dash mounted controls required me to lean to reach them was one of the reasons I did not get the RG and instead bought another Electra Glide. Besides that, the Road Glides did not come in white.
Besides the on/off switch on the radio, what other dash mounted controls are you referring to? I must be missing those.
Once the radio is on everything is controlled at the grips. Nothing else way out there but gauges and speakers.

Last edited by pargenz; 02-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Funny, owners of both say the opposite.
I should have qualified my statement. I was only saying the Road Glide fairing by the nature of its design should deflect the wind from an aerodynamic stand-point. This may not create the best wind deflection for the rider.

I've always liked frame mounted fairing better. I rode Goldwings for 32 years and like the solid mounted fairing.

Last edited by shortride; 02-28-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Test ride Road Glide Ultra