Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALL BALLS Starter clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM
foush56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALL ***** Starter clutch

A few weeks age I ordered an all ***** starter clutch for my 08 Ultra. I posted on this forum I was having a problem, the starter would spin but not engage. I removed and re-installed the old part and it worked, (I was only having a problem when the bike was hot). I got on the chat line with J & P Cycles and the tech said it must be the wrong part however the part number was correct for fitment. I returned the part to J & P and got an e-mail showing a $16.48restocking fee! I called customer service and got no satisfaction! I would not recommend J&P or All ***** and I hope this post cost them alot more than $16.48 I then bought a new part from Harley and it works perfect...

Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode out to JP Cycles in IA. They were a bunch of strokes. Nice ride out and back but I will never set foot in one of their stores.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by foush56
A few weeks age I ordered an all ***** starter clutch for my 08 Ultra. I posted on this forum I was having a problem, the starter would spin but not engage. I removed and re-installed the old part and it worked, (I was only having a problem when the bike was hot). I got on the chat line with J & P Cycles and the tech said it must be the wrong part however the part number was correct for fitment. I returned the part to J & P and got an e-mail showing a $16.48restocking fee! I called customer service and got no satisfaction! I would not recommend J&P or All ***** and I hope this post cost them alot more than $16.48 I then bought a new part from Harley and it works perfect...
So I understand having an issue with J&P but why do you bash All *****. I have spoken to AB guys on the phone several times and they seemed to be on top of customer service. Sorry about your problems but there is supposedly a pretty big difference in the quality of the AB clutch and the HD clutch let alone the price. Talk to a metric shop in your area and see if they will give you a 20% discount if you give them your Drag Specialties business. I started out with a 15% discount 25 years ago and after they saw how much I did with them they increased it to 20% in less than a year. DS usually ships to them in 2 days in the door no charge for shipping.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for a catalog source to order from, I've always preferred Dennis Kirk over JP. DK has live inventory on their website, so you know if a part is in stock before you order it. JP won't tell you until the order is filled (or not). If I order on the weekend I usually have my parts on the porch by Thursday. Most items are at list price, but some are at a mild discount. They only ship a catalog once a year, so you aren't inundated with repeat mailings like JP does.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 AM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on DK and have absolutely no problems with the AB drive on my starter, great product.

Last edited by TexasVet; 02-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had good luck with Dennis Kirk also.... Looking for WO575's and its a toss up between Dennis kirk and Amazon........ Yes Amazon. I am surprized in the number of bike parts and the prices Amazon has to offer.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

JP Cycles has some of the highest prices around. I don't know how they stay in business. I simple Google search will nearly always reveal numerous other choices much cheaper.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that M&M has great prices and I purchase many things from them, including my bars and clutch cable.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

------- and as Dawg pointed out a few days a $40 Camry starter clutch will do the job

Mike

Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I have been running the AB starter drive for about 2 years and 20,000 miles, so far so good.

I can see no logic in blaming AB For J & P return policy, did J & P hide their return policy or post it with all the rest of the buy/returning information? If you had installed the new starter drive, I suspect this story would never have been published. If you didn't/don't like the return policy, do business elsewhere. Take responsibility for: not reading the J & P web site thoroughly enough or for changing your mind. Every decision has consequences.

Quick Reply: ALL BALLS Starter clutch