Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
NoChute
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?

I run the GPS on my 08 RoadGlide through the cigarette lighter.

I've upgraded from a Garmin 255W to a 1450LMT and am curious if I can shorten the cord on the new one.

The old cord was a pretty easy job but I'm worried that since the new cord is different (has traffic) that there might be some shielded wire inside the cord that I can't splice. Anyone delt with this?

Attached Thumbnails Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?-255w-and-1450lmt-cords1.jpg  

Last edited by NoChute; 02-24-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: tag
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I use a cord I had from my old Blackberry. It is coiled like a phone cord and only about 12" long. I did lose the traffic feature, but other than that it works great. I think the antenna for the traffic is in the Garmin cord.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That lump in the cord & the extra wire in there are your traffic antenna. I'd think twice before cutting into that.............

Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Coil it as small as you can and zip tie it to the plug going into the lighter. That's what I did with mine and it's hardly noticeable.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NoChute
I run the GPS on my 08 RoadGlide through the cigarette lighter.

I've upgraded from a Garmin 255W to a 1450LMT and am curious if I can shorten the cord on the new one.

The old cord was a pretty easy job but I'm worried that since the new cord is different (has traffic) that there might be some shielded wire inside the cord that I can't splice. Anyone delt with this?

Been there, done it - not a problem.
Cut it , it's just a power cord, two small wires is all.
Get rid of the cigarette lighter adapter too.

Here's the way I did it.

Used a DC Coaxial connector and base instead of cigarette lighter, not a lot of clearance in there when fully turned anyway seemed like a problem waiting to happen to me.

Radio shack Size N Coaxial DC Power Plug part # 274-1573 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102488

Radio shack Size N Panel-Mount Coaxial DC Power Jack part #274-1576

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102489&clickid=prod_cs

This might scare you but you will have to drill a hole for the panel mount base. I located mine down low, way under the cigarette lighter, you can't see it unless you know its there, and it looks fine it's a clean professional look.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I hard Wired mine into the Fairing. I just Zip Tied the wire with the other factory wires, and ran it into the Fairing where the handle bars go in. Then I just hard wired it into the Cigarette Lighter. It shuts on and off with the key, and you can just forget about it

This is the one I bought, I wanted a right angle plug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-...78428774213841

Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?-hdd-008.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jinks
That lump in the cord & the extra wire in there are your traffic antenna. I'd think twice before cutting into that.............
The lump is almost certainly a ferrite core which is added to reduce EMC emissions or susceptibility to them.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I shortened mine, the wires are so small it was a bit of a pita but not a real problem and it works fine. I got tired of the cigarette lighter adapter, it clears the tank but not by much. I just bought a usb adapter for the cigarette lighter and a usb to usb mini cable. Looks much better. I hope they fixed the problem with the 1400 series. If it keeps rebooting on you, it is not the cord, you need a software update for the garmin.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM
rwrunski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACLazer
I hard Wired mine into the Fairing. I just Zip Tied the wire with the other factory wires, and ran it into the Fairing where the handle bars go in. Then I just hard wired it into the Cigarette Lighter. It shuts on and off with the key, and you can just forget about it

This is the one I bought, I wanted a right angle plug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-...78428774213841

Good Luck

I used the same one and ran it through with the clutch cable that way when I am not using the garmin I can just tuck the wire back into the hole where only the little plug end sticks out, hardly noticeable

Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
NoChute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jinks
That's what I'm thinking too.

Quick Reply: Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?