Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:25 PM
NoChute
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
Then I permanently pluged in the Garmin Original power supply cord to the power point (wire tied) and ran the wire out by the gages.

I'm not averse to pulling the fairing off and doing a little work inside to keep all the features of this garmin intact but I only keep my gps on my bike when I'm on a long summer tour. How do you keep the gps plug hidden/waterproof when you have your gps off your bike?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
NoChute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Coil it as small as you can and zip tie it to the plug going into the lighter. That's what I did with mine and it's hardly noticeable.
I gave it a shot just to see but even coiled tight that big bundle of wires
took up a lot of space & I had trouble with clearances.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NoChute
I'm not averse to pulling the fairing off and doing a little work inside to keep all the features of this garmin intact but I only keep my gps on my bike when I'm on a long summer tour. How do you keep the gps plug hidden/waterproof when you have your gps off your bike?
My Garmin is most alway ON my bike, I only take it off for the occasional boat/vette use ... and mine isn't actually water tight / proof. On the rare occasion that I get caught in the rain a sandwich size zip lock baggie works perfect over it, others do this as well. (or just take it off).
The Garmin Zumo 550 waterproof cost nearly 3X the 765 I have ... but both have a connector that is subject to wet issues - I have not had that as a problem but it could be one at some point ... for any models. A baggie covering the unit will cover the connector as well (for what thats worth)

The unused connector can be wrapped into a small plastic baggie, using a temp wired tied that has a release, & tucked under the gages/gas tank area where the wire harness exits by the triple tree, and temp wire tied up hidden.

Not perfect - but works for many -

some people use a Ram Aqua-box ... for boats & very wet use

note- the bike fuse box under the seat is easier to reach than getting to a fuse under the fairing that you could add yourself

Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
NoChute
Intermediate

Thanks to all for the very useful input on this subject, there was lots to think over. I'm sure there are lurkers out there that found out some very useful information and it may help many others.

The "traffic" part of the GPS I won't be using on the bike due to it being a pita, so it eliminates the bulky cord problem right there. I only bought this unit because it was only $2 more for the traffic function than without it.
I'm keeping the ball mount that I had on my handlebar and that's it. I have the new Garmin 1450LMT GPS on hand and the other parts I'll be using are on order from Amazon now.

Here's what I decided to do for my own particular case. Get a USB cigarette lighter adapter with 2 outlets, 1 for the gps and one to charge my cell phone and the appropriate length connections. I needed another new Ram "holder" for my larger unit and a GPS memory card.

Here's how it played out for me.
$129.40 New Garmin 1450LMT 5” display
$10.92 RAM Mounting Systems RAM-HOL-GA35U Plastic Cradle for Garmin Nuvi - this replaces my older 4.3” mount with the new 5” mount.
$24.99 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card with SD Adapter - adds storage to the new Garmin for POI downloads, photos etc.
$7.33 Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB Micro Charger - Cigarette lighter to USB adapter
$6.23 1.5 ft. USB2.0 A Male to Mini B - for the USB to GPS connection
$4.75 USB Cable - A to Micro B 1 ft - for the USB to my cell phone for charging in the left storage compartment.

$183.62 For the total GPS upgrade\install components.

Again, thanks to all for the advice.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to all for the very useful input on this subject, there was lots to think over. I'm sure there are lurkers out there that found out some very useful information and it may help many others.

The "traffic" part of the GPS I won't be using on the bike due to it being a pita, so it eliminates the bulky cord problem right there. I only bought this unit because it was only $2 more for the traffic function than without it.
I'm keeping the ball mount that I had on my handlebar and that's it. I have the new Garmin 1450LMT GPS on hand and the other parts I'll be using are on order from Amazon now.

Here's what I decided to do for my own particular case. Get a USB cigarette lighter adapter with 2 outlets, 1 for the gps and one to charge my cell phone and the appropriate length connections. I needed another new Ram "holder" for my larger unit and a GPS memory card.

Here's how it played out for me.
$129.40 New Garmin 1450LMT 5” display
$10.92 RAM Mounting Systems RAM-HOL-GA35U Plastic Cradle for Garmin Nuvi - this replaces my older 4.3” mount with the new 5” mount.
$24.99 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card with SD Adapter - adds storage to the new Garmin for POI downloads, photos etc.
$7.33 Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB Micro Charger - Cigarette lighter to USB adapter
$6.23 1.5 ft. USB2.0 A Male to Mini B - for the USB to GPS connection
$4.75 USB Cable - A to Micro B 1 ft - for the USB to my cell phone for charging in the left storage compartment.

$183.62 For the total GPS upgrade\install components.

Again, thanks to all for the advice.
Ah hum, the fee, you forgot the fee. 20% of your costs distributed to everyone who had input. I had a good week so I'll forgo my part, just divide it up between the others.

Enjoy the GPS. To be honest though, I kinda like getting lost, I use mine most often when it comes time to find my way home.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
There is no traffic were I ride, if there was, I wouldn't be there.
Apparently you don't ride very much or else you stick close to home. Try riding from the east coast to the west coast and not have to get into traffic.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have a RG, I have a RK with a Deadcenter fairing but you could try something similar. I have the Garmin 1490 with the same plug.
I wired a cig lighter adapter inside the fairing, plugged in the power end of the GPS cord, then drilled a hole and mounted the small male end of the plug into the fairing. The GPS attaches with velcro so it can be removed but the plug stays in the fairing and there are no wires hanging down.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
NoChute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by booch
The GPS attaches with velcro so it can be removed but the plug stays in the fairing and there are no wires hanging down.
Any chance you could remove your gps and show us a close up of your connection plugin?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Any chance you could remove your gps and show us a close up of your connection plugin?
My bike is stored in a heated airplane hangar about 30 minutes from where I live.
Next time I go out I can take one.
All I did was drill a hole then dremel tool the opening the same size as the plug. There is just enough room to pull the cord out to plug it in then when I put the GPS on the plug fits flush with the fairing.
Hardest part was convincing myself to drill and dremel the fibreglass.
Im getting a small rubber grommet to use to weatherproof it if I remove the GPS in hard rain.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
NoChute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by booch
All I did was drill a hole then dremel tool the opening the same size as the plug.
Im getting a small rubber grommet to use to weatherproof it if I remove the GPS in hard rain.
If you don't have ready access to your bike, don't bother. I don't mind opening up a hole in my fairing but when my gps is off I like to keep it neat and tidy. Your gps is exactly like mine except that you have bluetooth. I get how a rubber grommet would weatherproof the hole but how would you weatherproof the connector? Does it just stick out and flop around when the gps is disconnected?

Quick Reply: Possible to shorten Garmin GPS cord?