Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V vs. PV

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC-V vs. PV

I realize this is a HD newbie dumb question, but I'm going to thow it out there anyway I currently have a PC-V on my 12 Ultra. The current map is ok but I want to get the bike tuned. I've been doing some reading on the forum and other places and understand that the PC-V is basically an add-on unit that alters what is coming out of the ECM downstream, while units like the PV and TTS Mastertune, SERT, etc actually flash the ECM and dont sit on the bike the way the add-on units do.

My question is, is there any advantage to the PV type units (flashing the ECM) versus the PC-V (alterning the ECM output) other than it not being on the bike? I would think if I was going to consider switching this would be the time, prior to the bike going up on the dyno, but it looks kind of expensive to make the change so I don't want to do it if there is no real advantage. Keep in mind that I don't plan on making any further changes to the bike (no new cams, etc) in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe with the flash tuners there is an abundant more tuning options that can be tweaked for better performance than on the Power Commander. With flash tuners like TTS and PV you can also datalog to record and edit the values. if you can afford, Id go with a TTS or PV.
I think the Screaming Eagle tuners are still restricted because of epa restrictions...Not 100% certain of that but pretty sure I read that in another post. Im sure someone more tuner knowledgeable on this will chime in shortly to confirm or not.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,510 Likes on 22,673 Posts

Get your bike tuned/dyno-ed w/a tuner who tunes w/a Dynojet PC-V, and you will be happy. Ofcourse, research your local tuners first.

Sometimes it is best to go to rallies, as some of the best will be there doing what they do best.

For example; Since you live in FL and the Daytona rally is fast approaching,
I would highly recommend this outfit; http://www.speedsperformanceplus.com...alendar#3-2012
Jason lives in the area where I do, and got mine right and he can get your bike running to it's optimum too by building you a custom made map for you.
FWIW.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't realize you were in Florida. Your probably not too far from Doc Performance tuning either. Hes in Mineola, FL and is considered one of the best TTS tuners in the country. Give em a call and he may offer some advise to help make up your mind.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

What do you think is wrong with the tune you have? Jamie at Fuelmoto can usually fine tune most problems, especially on a bike with few mods. A full tune on a bike with just a stage 1 isn't going to net you much unless you're having driveability issues & Jamie can usually help out with that if you tell him what the problems are.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,510 Likes on 22,673 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Didn't realize you were in Florida. Your probably not too far from Doc Performance tuning either. Hes in Mineola, FL and is considered one of the best TTS tuners in the country. Give em a call and he may offer some advise to help make up your mind.
The OP states that he has a PC-V.
It is my understanding that Doc only uses TTS?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

your current pc v is a good unit,since its paid for i would use it,as said b4 find a dyno guy who knows how to use it and you'll be good to go,if you were looking to build a high compression motor and change gearing then u may consider a flash tuner but yours is fine for a stg1 or even drop in cams.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
What do you think is wrong with the tune you have? Jamie at Fuelmoto can usually fine tune most problems, especially on a bike with few mods. A full tune on a bike with just a stage 1 isn't going to net you much unless you're having driveability issues & Jamie can usually help out with that if you tell him what the problems are.
I did get a new map from Jamie that I am going to try, but I also want at least a baseline on the dyno to see what, if anything, can be gained. I did that with my 10 EGC and the tuner said he could probably help a little, but it wasn't worth another $250 to do it, the map I had was close enough unless i wanted to tweek every last horse and lb of torque out of it, which I didn't. Might get the same result with this one, and if I do great. If not then its worth it to me to get the custom map, IMHO. I understand what you are saying though, Jamie and his crew are excellent and can get things damn close to spot on.

Originally Posted by lionsm13
The OP states that he has a PC-V.
It is my understanding that Doc only uses TTS?
I looked into Doc since he is relatively close and yes, he only works with TTS.