Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers explained

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012 | 09:38 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by caaraa
Oh, thank God I can grow a beard and am uninterested in picking up other men on message forums!
Dude...nice contribution...back off the weed this early!!!

Anyway, now that the chuckle-head poster's stifled, if you're planning another header swap for semi-equalized flow - your current BSD's are about as close as they come. V&H makes quality exhaust, but I've heard BSD systems close-up & yes...loud. If you want to mellow things out there is a quiet baffle (pn 21869)...cheaper than new system. If the plan remains to swap header/pipes - SS + SE will probably get you where you want it...good luck!

Old 02-24-2012 | 09:55 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I would like to see a before and after dyno comparison with only a ceramic coated stock exhaust header change.

Old 02-24-2012 | 10:33 AM
Sam2010
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by caaraa
Oh, thank God I can grow a beard and am uninterested in picking up other men on message forums!

I was thinking about growing a beard. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-24-2012 | 10:59 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

so you have 1 nightstick-?

how about get another and use the headers you already own ?

the nightstick is easily tuned for a reduced volume with catless headers

closed endcap is the secret, and a total of about 20 discs
Mike

Old 02-24-2012 | 12:01 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Ok, now I think I'm picking up what you're putting down... by SS Header you mean Fuel Moto's Jackpot Stainless 2/1/2 header with crossover correct? It will flow slightly more to the right muffler. That's why Jackpot slip ons have different baffles in each muffler.

Old 02-24-2012 | 06:31 PM
Sam2010
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont write to good Oh well. I figured out what I wanted to know I think? I am talking about SS header NOT by fuel moto. If I use the V&H pipes I have now I have to cut on them I dont want to go down that road. Like I said they are the big shot duals. The night stick sounded ok on stock header but sounded funny to me on the fuel moto head pipe. I played with it open end and different amount of disks with cap on.

Old 02-24-2012 | 07:13 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
cats were only used in mufflers on international and california models(although it seems a few cali models got sold outside cali)this was b4 09 think it went back to 06?,after 09 all in the head pipe.
That is incorrect. Sam, the best thing to do is get a current year parts catalog, and go backwards in time, looking at the stock mufflers listed for each year.

In '06, 49 state Harley tour bikes had a cat in the right side muffler. See picture below. That's the muffler off my Minnesota sold '06 Ultra. It is also clearly stated in the '06 owners manual that all '06 tour bikes have a catalyst muffler.

In '07, the engine management was changed with the introduction of the 02 sensors, and no cats were used in the tour line in 49 state bikes, and emissions requirements were attained..

However, that was short lived, and the ever increasing EPA restrictions have brought us to where we are now. Again, a current parts manual is your best source of information. Study the differences between California and 49 state bikes for each year.

Attached Thumbnails Mufflers explained-catalyst-muffler-sm.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 02-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2012 | 08:02 PM
jimsuver
Supporter

There is some incorrect information out there, but I can tell you what I know as fact about 06 and 08 CVO mufflers. They came with cats in both sides and Fullsac has some of the best sounding muffler cores out there.

I don't have my stock 07 mufflers anymore so I can't say what they had or did not have.

Old 02-24-2012 | 09:08 PM
true duals
Advanced

i have no answers on your 02 sensor questions, only a suggestion on muffler choices. Have you ever heard of B&E performance or superflow exhaust? Google B&E this guy does amazing things with the stock harley mufflers, all years. located in Mi. has done thousands of sets for people. may help you in your decision

Old 02-25-2012 | 12:36 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
The night stick sounded ok on stock header but sounded funny to me on the fuel moto head pipe. I played with it open end and different amount of disks with cap on.
FYI the nightstick open end cap is equal to about 9 discs ( the supertrapp open end cap is equal to about 10, it's slightly larger).

for a 96" motor and no cat you would probably want to end up with a total number of discs of 18 +/- 2 ( and subtract 9 is using open end cap)

that gives good power, good sound control

mike

Quick Reply: Mufflers explained