Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harley's... Tell me about buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a SG with the stock shield. I'm 5'9 by the way.

The ONLY time I experience buffeting is when I'm wearing a 1/2 helmet, and then it drives me nuts.

I ride on the interstate all the time, and pass lots of semis. No problems there, just the usual leaning into the wind.

If I wore a helmet more often, I'd consider a re-curve windshield, but I usually just wear a ball cap. It doesn't happen with my full face helmet.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

two types of buffiting as i understand it if your seat height or windshield height puts your head or helmet in wrong position it be uncomfortable, this never was an issue to me on bat wing bikes.
second one is cross breezes, first strong cross breeze on high bridge i almost sh@t my pants same with passing trucks when cross wing at 50 mph or better
i lived thru them all, you will to, just get them over with and once you live thru them u will loose the fear, that bike is 900 lb it aint going to far under most circumstances

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushrider
I don't have a huge problem with wind on my glide. Worst is when passing big trucks. I manage the exposure by going into 5th and rolling it on to get by them faster. Recurved windshields help. Never ridden a Road Glide by I would love to.

Take one of each for a test ride and post your opinion.
I agree on the test ride, although if it ain't windy you really won't notice much or any buffeting at all

Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Go to the gym, pump some iron and hold on tight. I don't have any problems on my FLHTCUI.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

2nd best advice next to mine...

Originally Posted by Ron750
Go to the gym, pump some iron and hold on tight. I don't have any problems on my FLHTCUI.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ron750
Or.... Skip the gym and eat a bunch of nachos.

That's what I do.

I don't think it'll help you, but I sure do like nachos...

Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Go ride one, the stock windshield on the SG is worthless. You may hate the fairing, I know I did. Don't spend $20k on a bike you are going to hate by not test riding it. I have had 3 new Harleys in 2 years. I should have bought the RKC the first time around. By the way, whats an FLHTCUI? Sounds like a government program. What happened to calling them Ultra's, Road Kings, Dyna's etc.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 02-22-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:56 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keeping in mind that I got so tired of trying to get the buffeting down and turning my "sleek" SG into basically a "Geezer Glide" that I ended up trading in for a EGC and making it "more sleek" (and fairing lowers change e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g)...

If you wind up with serious buffeting problems (I actually would up at the doctor with a minor concussion once - seriously), things to consider:

NO DOUBT: Fork baffle.
NO DOUBT: Adjustable Air Deflectors.
NO DOUBT: Shield.

Got so tired of digging up the part numbers, I put 'em all on a page that lists my accessories: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/bike_accessories.html

One thing to seriously consider is the shield -- You bought a SG because it's more "sleek" to some extent I'm sure. Most shield MFG's blanks are pretty similar -- The difference between a 9 and a 10" is really only about a half inch in height - but a different "shoulder" (for lack of a better term). A 9" shield (LRS for example - my personal favorite) will likely have a fairly smooth curve along the height, continuing into the top. A 10" will go almost straight up and then "suddenly" curve towards the top. The 9" offers less wind resistance, but goes much better with the lines of the bike. The dynamics of the 10" is easily superior, but looks like crap. I shouldn't say "crap" - It just doesn't look right on a SG.

You might want both. If the "flare" type shield doesn't bug you, LRS's 10" is fantastic as far as wind dynamics are concerned - I just have an easier time ducking behind the "Ultra Flip" 9" (which is the one I keep on my EGC - Along with the fork baffle and the adjustable air deflectors.

THAT ALL SAID -- It seems to be a "per bike" thing to some extent. A buddy of mine has the exact same bike I had (2008 SG), down to the color. We both had the same windshields. I always bitched about buffeting and he said I was crazy.

So of course, we swapped bikes for a few miles. Then he said I was crazy for riding that bike because his head felt like it was in a paint shaker. I on the other hand, was going over his bike with a fine-tooth comb trying desperately to figure out why his bike wasn't nearly as unmanageable as mine (which is about the time I went to the LRS recurve, fork baffle and air deflectors).

IMO/E? Start with a 9" Ultra Flip LRS (even if you could use a 10 or a 12"). You might need a higher shield for longer hauls (if you really have any buffeting issues at all). It won't completely wreck the lines and it'll give you some decent protection.

If you're thinking of adding lowers, don't wait - That's the game-changer.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 AM
dwsglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
Keeping in mind that I got so tired of trying to get the buffeting down and turning my "sleek" SG into basically a "Geezer Glide" that I ended up trading in for a EGC and making it "more sleek" (and fairing lowers change e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g)...

If you wind up with serious buffeting problems (I actually would up at the doctor with a minor concussion once - seriously), things to consider:

NO DOUBT: Fork baffle.
NO DOUBT: Adjustable Air Deflectors.
NO DOUBT: Shield.

Got so tired of digging up the part numbers, I put 'em all on a page that lists my accessories: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/bike_accessories.html

One thing to seriously consider is the shield -- You bought a SG because it's more "sleek" to some extent I'm sure. Most shield MFG's blanks are pretty similar -- The difference between a 9 and a 10" is really only about a half inch in height - but a different "shoulder" (for lack of a better term). A 9" shield (LRS for example - my personal favorite) will likely have a fairly smooth curve along the height, continuing into the top. A 10" will go almost straight up and then "suddenly" curve towards the top. The 9" offers less wind resistance, but goes much better with the lines of the bike. The dynamics of the 10" is easily superior, but looks like crap. I shouldn't say "crap" - It just doesn't look right on a SG.

You might want both. If the "flare" type shield doesn't bug you, LRS's 10" is fantastic as far as wind dynamics are concerned - I just have an easier time ducking behind the "Ultra Flip" 9" (which is the one I keep on my EGC - Along with the fork baffle and the adjustable air deflectors.

THAT ALL SAID -- It seems to be a "per bike" thing to some extent. A buddy of mine has the exact same bike I had (2008 SG), down to the color. We both had the same windshields. I always bitched about buffeting and he said I was crazy.

So of course, we swapped bikes for a few miles. Then he said I was crazy for riding that bike because his head felt like it was in a paint shaker. I on the other hand, was going over his bike with a fine-tooth comb trying desperately to figure out why his bike wasn't nearly as unmanageable as mine (which is about the time I went to the LRS recurve, fork baffle and air deflectors).

IMO/E? Start with a 9" Ultra Flip LRS (even if you could use a 10 or a 12"). You might need a higher shield for longer hauls (if you really have any buffeting issues at all). It won't completely wreck the lines and it'll give you some decent protection.

If you're thinking of adding lowers, don't wait - That's the game-changer.

Absolutely agree!! I have a 2011 SG and have a short KW windshiled, the fork baffle and some ebay fork air deflectors. Solved my problem and now I can ride all day without a problem. Mine was worse with the full-face than the half, but it was bad either way! Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to go with!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 AM
bamamike
6th Gear

10" windshield and faring delectors did the trick for me.

Quick Reply: New to Harley's... Tell me about buffeting