Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which pipe?
LSR 2-1
44.44%
Pro-stock 2-1
55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

RB racing exhaust decisions need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Burch753
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB racing exhaust decisions need advice

so in the accumulation of all of the pieces for my build, it is time to order my exhaust. I have it narrowed down to two (and only these two!).

1) RB racing LSR 2-1 with turn-out and 45 degree rotation down in black ceramic.

2) RB racing pro-stock 2-1 in black ceramic.

My build: 2009 RK. My motor, when complete, will be 124" with S&S jugs/sluggs crank trued and welded by hoban brothers. I will have stage 4 heads from scott at Hillsidecycle and a 55mm throttle body from HPI. Tuned by Fuel Moto with the PV.

My concerns: I have gotten rid of my D&D boarzilla because it just wasn't loud enough and honeslty heavy! It shipped at 65lbs! I am 27 so I will entertain the noise for a few more years, my wife on the other hand may not, but she very seldom rides with me.

The LSR has a nice look to it and has the baffle in it for somewhat of a sound reduction and, I'm assuming, more scavenging capability. I am worried that it is a little long and I WILL scrape the hell out of it as I ride hard and my D&D was the first thing to hit on the right side.

I like the prostock for its obvious performance advantage and that it is slightly smaller/shorter and looks to hug the bike a little better. I am worried with it that the heat produced will rise right onto my wife's right foot and my right bag... and may be annoyingly loud at cruising speed and I'll be completely unable to hear my stereo in my dead center fairing....

I would like input from anyone who has experience with these pipes or extensive cruise time/knowledge thereof. Please do not offer a suggestion on another pipe as I am fairly certain I want to try of the RB racing pipes this time around. I will ride the bike hard, wheelies, burnouts, launches, etc. as I am a pro-am motocross racer and need the adrenalin. I will also be using this bike for my daily commute of 120 miles round trip when possible. I want the best both worlds! lol. Doesn't everyone! I posted this in the touring section as, after all, I am on a touring bike and plan to ride the damn thing! I have forfeited all of my 180mph bikes for diapers, but still need a little fun.

Thanks
-Aaron-

Last edited by Burch753; 02-22-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the LSR but it's is slash cut not turn out rotated. I thought I ordered the to in titanium but my guy screwed up the order(or he lied) and so it was either take the slash in chrome or wait longer, he gave me a break on the price, so I took it.
The LSR 2-1 in the 2" will most likely be your best bet as is lightly baffled. I mean lightly. My LSR is the 1 3/4" version as I only have a 103" motor but it barks hard when you jump on it. When you are cruising it is not too bad, the turn out should be a little less harsh to the rider than my slash. I guarantee you the Prostock will be LOUD, forget the stereo, heck forget the stereo even with the LSR. The Prostock will back you into a corner I'm not sure you want to be in, because it will be that that loud. Best of both worlds would be the LSR.
My floorboards scrape all the time when I ride and I have installed 13 1/4"(1 1/4" longer than my stock shocks) Ohlins. My exhaust never has scraped but it is a slash. I think your fb's will scrape before the LSR will.
If you get the LSR in 2" with heat shields and don't like it, I might be a possible buyer for it, as I am always in the market for a good deal
I too have an extensive mx background(but I'm old) so I know the mentality.
Oh and lest you think I don't know what loud is, I do. I help crew on a TAFC.

Last edited by qtrracer; 06-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Burch753
Cruiser

WOW! That pipe looks great on your bike!

Yeah, I will be getting the 2" primaries on either pipe. I appreciate your input because you actually have the LSR. My one issue is that I have my bike lowered with the 11.5" shocks so 1.5" lower than stock.... I also have a 21in wheel up front with the progressive lowering springs. Needles to say the rear is low and slightly lower than the front. I'm afriad the LSR will scrape badly as my D&D really hindered my ability to take right handed curvies.... Any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, raise it up, make it stiffer, like I did. Also did the D&D stick out to the side some? They have big and long muffler cans. If it did that will make it scrape quicker than a LSR probably.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Burch753
Cruiser

The D&D did not stick out at all it was just long and fat as you said..... I feel like I will have to sacrifice the low look for some better/longer shocks... Unless I suck it up and run the pro-stock pipe...?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 147 Posts

When I bought my LSR from RB, they told me that it was designed for 103, maybe 107 ci and below. I would choose the Pro Stock, considering your build. I loved the sound out of my LSR, and performance was excellent.

TedMan

Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TedMan
When I bought my LSR from RB, they told me that it was designed for 103, maybe 107 ci and below. I would choose the Pro Stock, considering your build. I loved the sound out of my LSR, and performance was excellent.

TedMan
You bought one with 1 3/4" primary tubes, just like I did. He is buying one with 2" primary tubes, it will flow more than good enough for his needs.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a used RB racing LSR 2 into 1 Black hole from a forum member with 1 3/4" primary tubes.
This setup is the best running pipes I have had on the bike. The quality is excellent and will most likely out last the rest of the bike. Should you park this bike in a garage in a barn for 50 years, the bike will rust and rot away before these pipes. Sound and performance is also best that I've ran to date.
If I was ever upgrading to a 120" or above I still would run LSR. I don't care how long they take to build or what ever some others have stated about issues with them.

I will be a return customer, Unless I can find another used set.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Black Hole w/ 2" primaries

Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll refrain from voting since I've never ridden either of the two pipes. I have however heard the LSR 2-1 on a 103" and was not at all impressed with the sound. Maybe it will sound better on a bigger motor.

I would suggest contacting RB Racing and as them which of the pipes would work better on your build and go that way. I'm sure you dropped enough money on the 124", why risk screwing it up with the wrong pipe?

Quick Reply: RB racing exhaust decisions need advice